Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2020 scat pack challenger. I have the car for almost 8 months now. Only about 500 miles on her, I know, why not drive it, but that’s a different story. Well yesterday, I went out to start the car up I heard a ticking but went away about 10 seconds. My wife and I took it out to go to dinner, no problems at all when after that She is garage kept. The last time I took it out was about 3 months ago when I had the oil changed. Should I be concerned. It’s scared me because it’s still new and don’t need this problem , I waited along time for this vehicle. Is this something that I should be worried about. Thanks

·
Registered
10,529 Posts
Sounds like a lifter "drained down." Possibly leaking anti drain back valve.

It had to get pumped back up when the engine started. 10 seconds seems long though.

Occasionally I would have this happen, but it would be for 2-5 seconds.

Haven't had this happen at all using the SRT filter on my previous 5.7 and present 392.

Just keep an ear on it and see if it happens on a regular basis or gets worse.

Right now a dealer can't do a thing if they can't get it to happen at start up.

Best of luck.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Probably took a little time to get oil to the top of the engine after sitting so long. The absolute worst thing you can do to any car is let it sit. I'd try to drive it a little more, and not just start it let it run for a few min and shut it down, get a good solid heat cycle on every moving component. Keep an ear on it but I have a feeling you won't have a reoccurring issue if you find time to enjoy the car a little more.

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
3,866 Posts
I have a 2020 scat pack challenger. I have the car for almost 8 months now. Only about 500 miles on her, I know, why not drive it, but that’s a different story. Well yesterday, I went out to start the car up I heard a ticking but went away about 10 seconds. My wife and I took it out to go to dinner, no problems at all when after that She is garage kept. The last time I took it out was about 3 months ago when I had the oil changed. Should I be concerned. It’s scared me because it’s still new and don’t need this problem , I waited along time for this vehicle. Is this something that I should be worried about. Thanks
What others have said. 3 months between uses the lifters have had way too much time to bleed down. A few seconds of cold idle time to pump them back up is "normal".

·
Super Moderator
16,887 Posts
the old probably drained back from sitting so long - if it goes away in a few seconds, its not a problem.

some anti-drain back valves can leak a bit. After sitting for ~ 3 months it wouldn't be unusual

Reactions: Parrott_350

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys for giving me some positive note, my wife and I are going to take the vehicle out again this weekend for dinner hopefully when I hit the start button I don’t hear nothing also it might’ve been five seconds 10 seconds seems like a long time because I started the car up I opened up the door, I heard the knocking or should I should say the noise, I went on the outside of the garage with a burning sensation in my stomach turned around went back in and the noise was gone so I felt better but again thanks again

Also just came to mind what happens when these cars sit in the lot for like two months or three months? They should tap also, That is what I’m thinking

·
Super Moderator
16,887 Posts
they probably would

·
Premium Member
2018 Dodge Challenger T/A Plus in Yellow Jacket w/5.7L and A8 automatic
2,051 Posts
Also just came to mind what happens when these cars sit in the lot for like two months or three months? They should tap also, That is what I’m thinking
Cars hardly ever sit on a dealers lot not started for two or three months at a time, as most lots “freshen” up their inventory by juggling around the cars periodically.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I’ll tell you what I love the car. My wife loves it too. We took it out to dinner Saturday night and she said, we will be taking it out next weekend too, so I’ll be able to test in a couple of days

·
Premium Member
2,692 Posts
This is normal for a car that has sat for 3 months IMO.
Even though my Firehawks are basically garage queens, I try to start them at least once a month even if I don't drive them. Let come up to temperature, rev the engine a little and shut down.
Even doing that I try to roll the tires every 2-3 months at most.

Reactions: Too Fast

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I feel better now my wife makes fun of me that it sits in the damn garage I just haven’t had time it’s my weekend car I live in New Jersey rocks on the ground and everything else heavy traffic but I got a blow the cobwebs out

·
Premium Member
10,201 Posts
I feel better now my wife makes fun of me that it sits in the damn garage I just haven’t had time it’s my weekend car I live in New Jersey rocks on the ground and everything else heavy traffic but I got a blow the cobwebs out
I took mine out yesterday it was the first time out in 8 months. If you hold the gas pedal to the floor while you press the start button you can prime the engine as it will spin but not start. Let the pedal up and press it and it will fire right up.
I’m in New Jersey too, this state is sadly getting worse by the day. I was in Iselin over the weekend.
Enjoy the car, mine is now 9 years old with only 10,000 miles on it.

Reactions: Parrott_350

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
3,866 Posts
Thanks guys for giving me some positive note, my wife and I are going to take the vehicle out again this weekend for dinner hopefully when I hit the start button I don’t hear nothing also it might’ve been five seconds 10 seconds seems like a long time because I started the car up I opened up the door, I heard the knocking or should I should say the noise, I went on the outside of the garage with a burning sensation in my stomach turned around went back in and the noise was gone so I felt better but again thanks again

The new car engines might "tap" or tick upon cold start. They can also smoke.

Most new cars do not go months between engine starts though. I have not met a dealer manager yet who didn't believe shuffling new cars around on the showroom floor and lot would not help move cars. As a result every so often the dealer ship employees go into a frenzy of car shuffling.

Or like what happened years ago at a new car dealer. I wanted a car that happened to be last year's model. It was "buried" in a large lot full of cars. When I expressed some concern about a test ride given the car was not easily accessible the salesman said "no problem" and in two blinks of an eye every salesman/manager was streaming out the door and in no time cars/vehicles were being started and moved and shortly the car I wanted -- and ended up buying -- was at the front of the dealer ready for a test ride/drive.

·
Premium Member
1,812 Posts
Hi 70iselin,
Feel free to let us know via private message if you plan to work with your dealer to resolve this. We're happy to provide you with additional assistance during that process.

Rob
Dodge Cares

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hi 70iselin,
Feel free to let us know via private message if you plan to work with your dealer to resolve this. We're happy to provide you with additional assistance during that process.

Rob
Dodge Cares
Thank you for your concerns

·
Registered
168 Posts
Nothing to worry about. My 5.7 does this after the car even sits for 3 days. Even with an SRT filter. 3-5 seconds and it’s gone. Lifters definitely bleed down. If you know you are not going to drive it much , I would still go out every other day and start it up until operating temperature. This will help keep everything lubricated and pumped up

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I guess some people have these problems some people don’t. I guess the idea is to keep it lubricated

1 - 20 of 44 Posts