Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
2011 gwe srt
692 Posts
This is normal for a car that has sat for 3 months IMO.
Even though my Firehawks are basically garage queens, I try to start them at least once a month even if I don't drive them. Let come up to temperature, rev the engine a little and shut down.
Even doing that I try to roll the tires every 2-3 months at most.
ran into that myself this spring. Started up the srt and it sounded like rocks rattling around till the injectors pumped up. I thought the motor was going to come apart. Ive stored newer vettes like that and never had this happen so im guessing the hemis have a different type lifter that tends to drain down. I know next winter ill be starting mine every couple weeks. Probably the same reason hemis lifters tend to go and many people get the hemi tick.

·
Super Moderator
16,853 Posts
ran into that myself this spring. Started up the srt and it sounded like rocks rattling around till the injectors pumped up. I thought the motor was going to come apart. Ive stored newer vettes like that and never had this happen so im guessing the hemis have a different type lifter that tends to drain down. I know next winter ill be starting mine every couple weeks. Probably the same reason hemis lifters tend to go and many people get the hemi tick.
its the reverse oiling system - oil has to travel from head > rocker shaft > rocker arm > push rod > lifter

it takes a few seconds for the pressurized oil to complete the path to the lifter. The Magnum 318 / 360 engines switched over to reverse oiling on the old LA series engines as well.

one other thing that may be taking place is over time, the oil seeps past the anti-drain back valve and the oil pickup tube drains out.

When you start up, the pump has to draw oil back up through the (presumably empty) pickup tube and then this pocket of air has to pass through the oil galleries as the oil that is finally circulating through the passages

I've often done the pre-prime step (back in OR sometimes the car sat for 10 days - 2 weeks if the weather wasn't good or no events / meets going on in the winter

·
Super Moderator
16,853 Posts
What is the pre prime step?
Key to ACC or ON position (don't touch brake pedal on A8 models)
set center IP screen to "Vehicle Info"
select the Oil PSI display

Press and hold accelerator pedal fully to floor (this is the "clear flooded engine" over-ride) - this shuts off fuel injectors during the cranking cycle

press and hold Start button
(you may have to press \/ button on left side of steering wheel buttons to clear the "Press Brake pedal to Start" or "Press Clutch pedal to Start" or other splash screen messages

crank engine until Oil PSI gauge registers (don't crank more than 20 seconds)
-unless you've just done an oil change, this will register 5 - 15 PSI and your're done

if you have to do a 2nd cranking cycle allow ~ 20 seconds between to allow starter windings to cool down

you can release the Start button to stop the cranking cycle

Then go about starting the engine as normal (foot off accelerator)

I do this procedure for every oil change (I also pre-fill the oil filter) - so I get zero lifter clatter after oil changes

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Now the vehicle is new to me. IP is the screen on the dashboard or on the instrument cluster where the steering wheel is. Again thanks for help all

·
Registered
2020 Challenger R/T Scat Pak
233 Posts
So far my engine has only made the sound once and that on a second start after an oil change. The start immediately after the OC was to check for leaks before I put the belly pan back on and it only ran for about 1 minute. On the second start to back it off the ramps, some/one lifter clattered for 2-3 seconds but hasn't done it since. I figured there was air in the oiling system that cleared pretty quickly even though I filled the filter. If it happened all the time I would try a different oil filter.

·
Registered
2011 gwe srt
692 Posts

Press and hold accelerator pedal fully to floor (this is the "clear flooded engine" over-ride) - this shuts off fuel injectors during the cranking cycle

(you may have to press \/ button on left side of steering wheel buttons to clear the "Press Brake pedal to Start" or "Press Clutch pedal to Start" or other splash screen messages

-unless you've just done an oil change, this will register 5 - 15 PSI and your're done

if you have to do a 2nd cranking cycle allow ~ 20 seconds between to allow starter windings to cool down

I do this procedure for every oil change (I also pre-fill the oil filter) - so I get zero lifter clatter after oil changes
thanks ill try that next spring.

·
Premium Member
2,567 Posts

Wonder if the dealers do this on oil changes? :rolleyes:

Reactions: 19johned53

·
Super Moderator
16,853 Posts
Wonder if the dealers do this on oil changes? :rolleyes:
Nope - and they install the oil filters dry (the filters hold 16oz of oil, BTW)

they just are trying to get vehicles in / out and the Lube techs are generally the less experienced workers in the service dept

·
Premium Member
2018 Dodge Challenger T/A Plus in Yellow Jacket w/5.7L and A8 automatic
2,013 Posts
LOL, most don't even know about this. Getting the right oil in is tough enough!
“Hey Billy Bob....does that work order say 0W40 or 15W40? Ahhhhhhh hell, the 15W40 is bulk. I ain’t got no time to open up eight bottles.”

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Please don’t say that cause the service tech told why are you bringing the car in it’s only has 600 miles on it I said I had the car for 6 months, The service manual said change it after six months whether you have 6000 miles which ever comes first. I was wondering if they changed it anyway and I can’t even tell if they did or not maybe that’s why my car started ticking

·
Premium Member
2,567 Posts
Please don’t say that cause the service tech told why are you bringing the car in it’s only has 600 miles on it I said I had the car for 6 months, The service manual said change it after six months whether you have 6000 miles which ever comes first. I was wondering if they changed it anyway and I can’t even tell if they did or not maybe that’s why my car started ticking
"service tech"
Most of these people scare the hell out of me. And management is largely responsible for it.IMO.

Reactions: GSBrockman

·
Premium Member
2018 Dodge Challenger T/A Plus in Yellow Jacket w/5.7L and A8 automatic
2,013 Posts
"service tech"
Most of these people scare the hell out of me. And management is largely responsible for it.IMO.
And the main reason I do this:

and this:

·
Super Moderator
16,853 Posts
And the main reason I do this:
View attachment 1024303
and this:
View attachment 1024304
Yep - been doing my own maintenance - since forever. Did a lot of projects with floor jacks and jack stands...

when I was having my house built in 2018 - this was the "must have" for the new house:

it looks a bit cluttered in this picture - I was doing the cam swap and I had a 8' foot table next to the lift for all the parts / tools for this job (it was cylinder heads off as well). Its a breeze to change the oil and rotate the tires - just did a M6 fluid service along with the oil change this past weekend

20210413_171645.jpg

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
I liked your fender protectors. I complained to the dealer about that they don’t use fender covers on vehicles when they do work. Even the dodge corporation when they called me on how there service was, I complained to them. I told them it’s a 50k car with 500 miles and that is how you guys treat a vehicle. Nobody takes pride anymore

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
24,842 Posts

·
Super Moderator
16,853 Posts
I liked your fender protectors. I complained to the dealer about that they don’t use fender covers on vehicles when they do work. Even the dodge corporation when they called me on how there service was, I complained to them. I told them it’s a 50k car with 500 miles and that is how you guys treat a vehicle. Nobody takes pride anymore
I have these rolls of bubble wrap - with all the work involved with the cam swap, this prevents any mars on the paint, drips from any parts that are removed and the cord with the drop light.

one thing that was particularly messy is removing the cylinder heads - that the head gaskets stuck both to the head and the block - so I had to pull and separated the three layer gasket and part of it was hanging down while lifting a 40+ # cylinder head up and away from the engine bay (with the shorty header attached). This is what the head gasket aftermath looked like. It was like dealing with an elastic band until it pulled free from the block:
20210417_202019.jpg

21 - 40 of 43 Posts