Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Heard a motor noise today

4K views 43 replies 15 participants last post by  70iselin 
#1 ·
I have a 2020 scat pack challenger. I have the car for almost 8 months now. Only about 500 miles on her, I know, why not drive it, but that’s a different story. Well yesterday, I went out to start the car up I heard a ticking but went away about 10 seconds. My wife and I took it out to go to dinner, no problems at all when after that She is garage kept. The last time I took it out was about 3 months ago when I had the oil changed. Should I be concerned. It’s scared me because it’s still new and don’t need this problem , I waited along time for this vehicle. Is this something that I should be worried about. Thanks

#4 ·
Sounds like a lifter "drained down." Possibly leaking anti drain back valve.

It had to get pumped back up when the engine started. 10 seconds seems long though.

Occasionally I would have this happen, but it would be for 2-5 seconds.

Haven't had this happen at all using the SRT filter on my previous 5.7 and present 392.

Just keep an ear on it and see if it happens on a regular basis or gets worse.

Right now a dealer can't do a thing if they can't get it to happen at start up.

Best of luck.

#5 ·
Probably took a little time to get oil to the top of the engine after sitting so long. The absolute worst thing you can do to any car is let it sit. I'd try to drive it a little more, and not just start it let it run for a few min and shut it down, get a good solid heat cycle on every moving component. Keep an ear on it but I have a feeling you won't have a reoccurring issue if you find time to enjoy the car a little more.

#8 ·
the old probably drained back from sitting so long - if it goes away in a few seconds, its not a problem.

some anti-drain back valves can leak a bit. After sitting for ~ 3 months it wouldn't be unusual

Reactions: Parrott_350
#9 ·
Thanks guys for giving me some positive note, my wife and I are going to take the vehicle out again this weekend for dinner hopefully when I hit the start button I don’t hear nothing also it might’ve been five seconds 10 seconds seems like a long time because I started the car up I opened up the door, I heard the knocking or should I should say the noise, I went on the outside of the garage with a burning sensation in my stomach turned around went back in and the noise was gone so I felt better but again thanks again

Also just came to mind what happens when these cars sit in the lot for like two months or three months? They should tap also, That is what I’m thinking

#16 ·
The new car engines might "tap" or tick upon cold start. They can also smoke.

Most new cars do not go months between engine starts though. I have not met a dealer manager yet who didn't believe shuffling new cars around on the showroom floor and lot would not help move cars. As a result every so often the dealer ship employees go into a frenzy of car shuffling.

Or like what happened years ago at a new car dealer. I wanted a car that happened to be last year's model. It was "buried" in a large lot full of cars. When I expressed some concern about a test ride given the car was not easily accessible the salesman said "no problem" and in two blinks of an eye every salesman/manager was streaming out the door and in no time cars/vehicles were being started and moved and shortly the car I wanted -- and ended up buying -- was at the front of the dealer ready for a test ride/drive.

#10 ·
they probably would

#11 ·
Also just came to mind what happens when these cars sit in the lot for like two months or three months? They should tap also, That is what I’m thinking
Cars hardly ever sit on a dealers lot not started for two or three months at a time, as most lots “freshen” up their inventory by juggling around the cars periodically.

#13 ·
This is normal for a car that has sat for 3 months IMO.
Even though my Firehawks are basically garage queens, I try to start them at least once a month even if I don't drive them. Let come up to temperature, rev the engine a little and shut down.
Even doing that I try to roll the tires every 2-3 months at most.

Reactions: Too Fast
#21 ·
This is normal for a car that has sat for 3 months IMO.
Even though my Firehawks are basically garage queens, I try to start them at least once a month even if I don't drive them. Let come up to temperature, rev the engine a little and shut down.
Even doing that I try to roll the tires every 2-3 months at most.
ran into that myself this spring. Started up the srt and it sounded like rocks rattling around till the injectors pumped up. I thought the motor was going to come apart. Ive stored newer vettes like that and never had this happen so im guessing the hemis have a different type lifter that tends to drain down. I know next winter ill be starting mine every couple weeks. Probably the same reason hemis lifters tend to go and many people get the hemi tick.

#15 · (Edited)
I took mine out yesterday it was the first time out in 8 months. If you hold the gas pedal to the floor while you press the start button you can prime the engine as it will spin but not start. Let the pedal up and press it and it will fire right up.
I’m in New Jersey too, this state is sadly getting worse by the day. I was in Iselin over the weekend.
Enjoy the car, mine is now 9 years old with only 10,000 miles on it.

Reactions: Parrott_350
#17 ·
Hi 70iselin,
Feel free to let us know via private message if you plan to work with your dealer to resolve this. We're happy to provide you with additional assistance during that process.

Rob
Dodge Cares

#19 ·
Nothing to worry about. My 5.7 does this after the car even sits for 3 days. Even with an SRT filter. 3-5 seconds and it’s gone. Lifters definitely bleed down. If you know you are not going to drive it much , I would still go out every other day and start it up until operating temperature. This will help keep everything lubricated and pumped up

#25 ·
Key to ACC or ON position (don't touch brake pedal on A8 models)
set center IP screen to "Vehicle Info"
select the Oil PSI display

Press and hold accelerator pedal fully to floor (this is the "clear flooded engine" over-ride) - this shuts off fuel injectors during the cranking cycle

press and hold Start button
(you may have to press \/ button on left side of steering wheel buttons to clear the "Press Brake pedal to Start" or "Press Clutch pedal to Start" or other splash screen messages

crank engine until Oil PSI gauge registers (don't crank more than 20 seconds)
-unless you've just done an oil change, this will register 5 - 15 PSI and your're done

if you have to do a 2nd cranking cycle allow ~ 20 seconds between to allow starter windings to cool down

you can release the Start button to stop the cranking cycle

Then go about starting the engine as normal (foot off accelerator)

I do this procedure for every oil change (I also pre-fill the oil filter) - so I get zero lifter clatter after oil changes

#27 ·
So far my engine has only made the sound once and that on a second start after an oil change. The start immediately after the OC was to check for leaks before I put the belly pan back on and it only ran for about 1 minute. On the second start to back it off the ramps, some/one lifter clattered for 2-3 seconds but hasn't done it since. I figured there was air in the oiling system that cleared pretty quickly even though I filled the filter. If it happened all the time I would try a different oil filter.

#33 ·
Please don’t say that cause the service tech told why are you bringing the car in it’s only has 600 miles on it I said I had the car for 6 months, The service manual said change it after six months whether you have 6000 miles which ever comes first. I was wondering if they changed it anyway and I can’t even tell if they did or not maybe that’s why my car started ticking

#38 ·
I liked your fender protectors. I complained to the dealer about that they don’t use fender covers on vehicles when they do work. Even the dodge corporation when they called me on how there service was, I complained to them. I told them it’s a 50k car with 500 miles and that is how you guys treat a vehicle. Nobody takes pride anymore

#40 ·
I have these rolls of bubble wrap - with all the work involved with the cam swap, this prevents any mars on the paint, drips from any parts that are removed and the cord with the drop light.

one thing that was particularly messy is removing the cylinder heads - that the head gaskets stuck both to the head and the block - so I had to pull and separated the three layer gasket and part of it was hanging down while lifting a 40+ # cylinder head up and away from the engine bay (with the shorty header attached). This is what the head gasket aftermath looked like. It was like dealing with an elastic band until it pulled free from the block:
Wood Automotive tire Art Sculpture Tree

#39 ·
Reactions: Bob Ricewasser
#44 ·
Update today, the car was sitting for 2 weeks being today is Father’s Day. So I figured my kids wanted to take me out for breakfast. I went into the garage, hit the start button and no tapping, a great day for me. Another problem I see, as we were driving my daughter sees something moving by the shaker and the top of the hood. I pull over and look, it’s a spider Webb Well the kids started laughing and told me give the keys And I will keep her moving. Thanks again for the ideas to calm me

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.