Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2015 Dodge Challenger RT Shaker... As I was cruising down the highway on my way home from work I heard a bolt or nut fall out from under my car and bounce off the road and hit the bottom of my car in the rear. I also heard a different sound in the rear like a "ping", similar to the sound a wrench or rod would make if you hit it on something else metal or hard, at the same time I heard the bolt or nut bouncing. I was pretty sure I didn't run over anything because I was watching the road. I looked in the rearview as soon as I heard it but didn't see anything. I didn't pay any more attention to it since it didn't seem to be serious and didn't think it really came from my car because it didn't seem to affect the way my car was driving. No vibrations or wobble or pulling or anything as I cruised so I figured I just ran over a nut and kicked it up and just didn't see it coming. I stopped at the store and got a drink. When I got back on the highway and accelerated, my rear passenger wheel area made a God awful noise, almost like my exhaust had a hole in it or came unbolted. It didn't make sense because it quit as soon as I let off the gas and I even put the car in neutral and revved it up and it sounded normal. I put it back in gear and gave it gas and it made the noise again. I also noticed that when I accelerated the rear of my car would pull to the left and the front would pull to the right and it would stop pulling when I quit accelerating. I stopped and picked my husband up from home and showed him what I was talking about. He was watching the rear passenger wheel from the passenger seat as I drove and every time I would accelerate he saw that the rear passenger wheel would turn inward, like toe in excessively (to the point you can see the face of the rim in the side mirror), making the rear of the car veer left and the front of the car veer right and when I apply the brakes or make a turn, the rear wheel would turn outward or toe out excessively. The harder you accelerated the more it turned in. So yep, I realized that bolt or nut and the pinging sound was from me and something really important had probably just came loose or broke in my rear suspension. I don't think the rear driver wheel is moving like that, just the rear passenger wheel. It makes the rear end feel super loose and I feel like if I were to floor it, my rear passenger wheel would turn completely sideways and twist off. The wheel assembly itself is not roaring or grinding and that horrible "no exhaust pipe" sound I was hearing was actually the wheel rubbing the inside fender well as it turned inwards on acceleration. When we got home, I kicked the wheel forward and made the car roll forward some and it clanked. When I kick the wheel inward it has give and it clanks. My question is what was that bolt holding together? Rear toe link? Stabilizer bar? What could have possibly happened? Could it have been caused by anything besides the toe link coming loose? I'd like some ideas of what to look for before I jack it up. My husband is a heart patient, he just had open heart surgery in October and both of his shoulders are completely destroyed so it's up to me to fix it, with his guidance of course. I have to work Monday and it's my daily driver so I hope I can fix it fast and without breaking the bank! Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
123 Posts
My guess would be one of the two circled bolts in the pic have fallen out. Just my guess tho

2DBA272A-0BDF-4755-A785-D0E641F49C8D.jpeg

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
20200112_165435~2.jpg

I found the problem and it is a missing bolt. It is circled in red. The ping I heard must've been the tension releasing when the bolt fell out. What is that part called and do they sell just the nut and bolt? Is it a dealer part or can I go to the parts house and get one?

·
Super Moderator
15,591 Posts
that's the front lateral arm for the rear suspension - probably get the bolt and nut from the dealer. You need to bolt that attaches the arm to the cradle (instead of the end that attaches to the wheel hub)

I'd have the rest of the suspension checked to make sure everything is tight and nothing has corrosion. Many of those bolts are torqued from 65 - 85 ft.lb.

Pretty unusual to have something come loose and fall off

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
that's the front lateral arm for the rear suspension - probably get the bolt and nut from the dealer. You need to bolt that attaches the arm to the cradle (instead of the end that attaches to the wheel hub)

I'd have the rest of the suspension checked to make sure everything is tight and nothing has corrosion. Many of those bolts are torqued from 65 - 85 ft.lb.

Pretty unusual to have something come loose and fall off
Thank you! Yes this is very unusual for this to happen!

·
Registered
123 Posts
I wouldn’t be driving that thing until it’s replaced.
But I’m sure you weren’t.

Reactions: aHester

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think Tmcelheny had the answer with pictures in a shorter amount of time than the question took to ask. ;)
TV

Lol oh whatever :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: I'm a woman. You know we gotta way overly and excessively explain things and add every little unnecessary detail to the point where y'all don't even know what we're talking about anymore and the subject has changed 10 times and then even we forget what we were originally trying to tell y'all in the first place and we finally remember but we never actually get to the real point and y'all finally get so bored from hearing us ramble on about not a damn thing and y'all start to fall asleep and then we get pissed off because we catch y'all not listening because y'all mess up and say "really" and "yeah" and "wow" at the wrong times or we'll get done with our ramblings and at the end, about 20 minutes later when we're finally about to shut the hell up, we'll ask y'all a question about what we just said and y'all say, "Huh? What'd you say again?" ??????

But btw, it wasn't the lateral arm. I tried telling the parts guy at the dealership what I needed and he looked at me like I had 3 peckers growing out of my forehead and informed me that there's no such thing so Tmcelheny embarrassed me and made me look like some stupid chick that didn't know what the hell she was talking about ?? lmao. I quickly redeemed myself though and told him that's what someone else told me it was but that I thought it was the tension link and that I need the nut and bolt that connects it to the subframe. I showed him the picture and he said yep that's what it is. :LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL: But anyways thank y'all for the help! I'll be back next time I screw something else up lol

·
Registered
123 Posts
Nowhere in my post did I mention the lateral arm. I simply provided a picture and pointed to a few bolts.
So that would be Hal H that embarrassed u.

Reactions: aHester

·
Registered
516 Posts
Wow that's unfortunate. I don't have much to add from what others have mentioned, but please don't drive the car until you get that re-secured!

That was/is you RR tension link (PN 68206294AA or AB), it's secured by a nut & bolt. There are 2 different nuts/bolts used on that member that are not interchangeable, one to attach it to the knuckle the other that attaches it to the subframe (06507097AA subframe end, 06507099AA for the knuckle end). Torque info: Tension link to crossmember: 70 ft lbs, Tension link to knuckle: 72 ft lbs,

Hope this helps

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nowhere in my post did I mention the lateral arm. I simply provided a picture and pointed to a few bolts.
So that would be Hal H that embarrassed u.
LOL :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: my bad Tmcelheny! I thought your comment referencing the lateral arm was in response to the picture I posted with the missing bolt circled asking what the part was called because the diagrams were so confusing. I must've misunderstood you and Hal H confused me more because he thought what we circled was the same thing . I apologize for my wrongful accusal! On the bright side, from all of the diagrams I studied, I now know every component of the Dodge Challenger's 5 link independent rear suspension. See what I did there? I didn't know any of that the other day lol! I still can't believe that bolt fell out though. It has me skittish about the car now and wondering if something else is going on that wasn't disclosed to me when I bought it! Thank God that bolt didn't fall out a few weeks ago while I was going 157mph down the highway racing a 392. That would've ended so badly but I did win lol!

·
Registered
123 Posts
LOL :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: my bad Tmcelheny! I thought your comment referencing the lateral arm was in response to the picture I posted with the missing bolt circled asking what the part was called because the diagrams were so confusing. I must've misunderstood you and Hal H confused me more because he thought what we circled was the same thing . I apologize for my wrongful accusal! On the bright side, from all of the diagrams I studied, I now know every component of the Dodge Challenger's 5 link independent rear suspension. See what I did there? I didn't know any of that the other day lol! I still can't believe that bolt fell out though. It has me skittish about the car now and wondering if something else is going on that wasn't disclosed to me when I bought it! Thank God that bolt didn't fall out a few weeks ago while I was going 157mph down the highway racing a 392. That would've ended so badly but I did win lol!
Id crawl under that thing and check every dam bolt I could see. So strange for that to be loose. Must have been a Monday on the assembly line.
Or someone wants you gone. Lol

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
17,961 Posts
Thank God that bolt didn't fall out a few weeks ago while I was going 157mph down the highway racing a 392. That would've ended so badly but I did win lol!
I said doc, it hurts when I do this...

A Guy

·
Super Moderator
15,591 Posts
View attachment 984760

I found the problem and it is a missing bolt. It is circled in red. The ping I heard must've been the tension releasing when the bolt fell out. What is that part called and do they sell just the nut and bolt? Is it a dealer part or can I go to the parts house and get one?
Here's the diagram I looked up online for the rear suspension
Rear susp.png

the orientation of this is looking at from drivers (left side) of vehicle - OPs image is (right side) passenger side, so you have to rotate 180* to match the image

#5 rear lateral arm
#6 front lateral arm
#8 strut rod
#7 track bar (aka: rear tension arm from some suppliers)

#8 strut rod is not in the frame of the image so what is visible, attached to top of hub are # 5 and #6 upper links

that's what I based my comment on to clarify. If I'm wrong, then I'm wrong

1 - 16 of 16 Posts