Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just had a 3 inch catback exhaust installed by Heartthrob last Friday and I must say I am extremely happy with the results.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IN_L6mkXCFA

It is a 409SS catback with an h-pipe. Dyno results on a stock 392 produced 16.4hp going to this exhaust and it sounds fantastic. Kit is $615 and $125 to install it. If you are in the MN area I highly suggest them.

Small note about the video, yes I know the left side is hanging low. It seems to have moved a bit since the install. I am heading back this Saturday for them to adjust it again to be all nice and straight.

I will post a follow up of in car driving once the video finishes processing...it's taking forever.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Sounds good:thumbsup:

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
I ordered mine from Jegs. It will be here in a few days, can't wait to get it installed. Yours sounds great by the way.

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
I like it, sounds good. Glad you are happy! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Another club member and I (he also has a 392 with blastin bobs and a nice mic and camera tripod) are going to do some fly by recordings.

I'll post em up later.

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
Well, I got my exhaust a couple of days ago and went to install it today and the fit is horrible. Pipes from the mufflers back touch the diff and frame. Sad to say I was really pumped to get this exhaust. Now it is boxed back up ready to be returned. Would not recommend this one.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, I got my exhaust a couple of days ago and went to install it today and the fit is horrible. Pipes from the mufflers back touch the diff and frame. Sad to say I was really pumped to get this exhaust. Now it is boxed back up ready to be returned. Would not recommend this one.
It will fit...but it is close yes. See pic.

Attachments

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The rear diff does not move, so it's never gonna rub once you have it buttoned down.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What about frame past the diff.? Mine was touching there too. Do you think it could cause any heat issues being that close to the diff? I'll give it another go this weekend.
Here is another shot

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
What about frame past the diff.? Mine was touching there too. Do you think it could cause any heat issues being that close to the diff? I'll give it another go this weekend.
I am guessing you might just need to play with it a bit more rotating your parts to get it to path just right.

I don't think it will be heating the differential up any. I was more concerned about it rubbing than anything else which I brought up to the guy installing it. He said what I said above that since the rear diff doesn't move, you're fine.

I certainly hope you have better luck this weekend because I absolutely love how it sounds :)

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
I am guessing you might just need to play with it a bit more rotating your parts to get it to path just right.

I don't think it will be heating the differential up any. I was more concerned about it rubbing than anything else which I brought up to the guy installing it. He said what I said above that since the rear diff doesn't move, you're fine.

I certainly hope you have better luck this weekend because I absolutely love how it sounds :)
Thanks for all the pics and info. I'm going to try again this weekend. I really want it to work, as I have always liked the sound of glasspacks on a Mopar.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for all the pics and info. I'm going to try again this weekend. I really want it to work, as I have always liked the sound of glasspacks on a Mopar.
I agree...and it does have that sharp bap bap bap of a glass pack when you are on it hard.

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
Two things:

1.) Sublime is right that it may not of been installed properly. You *should* use a piece of wood and a mallet to pound each pipe in as far as they will go. If not, you will get rubbing. This happened with my Zoomers when the dealer did a half [email protected]@ job installing it. I had to take it to a reputable muffler shop in town to get all the pipes pushed in properly, now I've had no issues for over 2 years.

2.) As long as you have at *least* 1/2" between any piping and undercarriage of the car you should be fine. Anything less is asking for trouble as the pipes will expand with heat.

Some systems fit better than others, but if each pipe is properly inserted you should not have any metal to metal contact with the exhaust and the differential/spare tire well.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
How did it go?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts