Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody else think that it's really dumb to have a defroster setting that does not you recirculate cabin air, or having the A/C come on when you do get to a setting that recirculates?
This topic must have been covered somewhere....I'm looking for someone who has either reprogrammed the stock unit, or who has a modification to straighten this out.

What was Chrysler thinking when they came up with this system? It's in all of them....If you live in the northeast, or anywhere else that gets cold, not being able to recirculate when in defrost..one, takes 3 times as long to heat the air enough to defrost the windshield, and two, sucks in all the rotten diesel and exhaust smell while its doing it.
Having the A/C come on while you are switching vents is just plain stupid....

·
Premium Member
4,364 Posts
If I follow you my old Honda is the same way.

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts
Don't even get me f:2232censored: started on this A/C system..

·
Registered
568 Posts
To defrost effectively, you MUST blow the least humid air across the windshield. That's outside air.

On a car with air conditioning, you COULD use inside air with A/C on to dehumidify.

So Dodge chose the same controls for non-A/C as they did for A/C vehicles because that's the arrangement that works with both the above conditions. They saved $0.05 per car.

I'm not excusing this, just explaining it.

As far as your second point, you're right on as well.

Cheap cell phones have more brains than our ventilation systems.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, at least I'm not the only one...! It doesn't seem like it would be too hard to change the programming or the functions of the controls to make sense....A/C stays off till you turn it on, recirculate in any airflow combination.....that's all I want.
Is anybody else interested if I figure out a fix?

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts
Yep I would..

·
Registered
217 Posts
The stupidity with the HVAC system extends down to the design of the vents. Why did they make them so you have to fiddle with two different levers to redirect the air flow? Practically every car I've ever owned had one control that moved the vanes both sideways and up and down. (There's sometimes another one, but it's used only to shut the vent off completely so you don't have to mess up your adjustment if you want to stop the airflow for some reason.) It makes no sense to have two controls delivering the functionality of one.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
I hate to change the topic but has anyone noticed a delay from when you turn the air on till when you feel it coming out of the vents its not a long delay maybe 2 3 seconds?

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
So Dodge chose the same controls for non-A/C as they did for A/C vehicles because that's the arrangement that works with both the above conditions. They saved $0.05 per car.
....curious, what cars use the same a/c system as the Challenger that don't come standard with it? The Charger, Challenger and 300 all come with a/c across all trims (unless I'm missing something).

My DD Forester automatically turns the a/c on with defrost but you can override it manually.

·
Registered
474 Posts
I hate to change the topic but has anyone noticed a delay from when you turn the air on till when you feel it coming out of the vents its not a long delay maybe 2 3 seconds?
I HATE that! I hate just as much how long it takes to change the temperature, or how if you leave the temperature set to hot when you shut the car off and change it to cold before you start it back up again you get a blast of hot air to the face for about 5 seconds. Not good..:disgust:

·
Registered
834 Posts
hmmm, never thought about any of this but I guess because none of it bothers me.

·
Registered
49 Posts
what I hate is more hot air to the passenger floor than to the drivers feet.Seems like the whole cabin gets too hot before my feet warm up while driving my challenger. maybe I need warmer socks.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Iam with you 6 point 4. Never thought about this complaint because I hardly ever use the air conditioning unless I have a passenger with me that would need it. I have the windows down listening to the exhaust as Iam cruising and good ole rock and roll.

·
Banned
165 Posts
This car has a climate control system? Hmmm.

So far I've only noticed the gas , brakes and steering wheel.

Oh and the radio. I'll have to check that out.

·
Premium Member
4,364 Posts
Yep. Other cars I have owned it stays on whatever flow it was last on. The Challenger appears to go back to the same setting but I cannot figure out what it is. It is like it switches to whatever setting you had it on.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
So...2 comments

1) To the OP, use air conditioning in the recirculated mode as previously stated to stop outside smells from getting in. Air conditioning will defrost quickly, that is essentialy what defrost is.

which leads me to my second point...

2) You should use your air-conditioning often, yes even in the winter, just set the temperature to conditions. It is extremely important to lube the system regularly to prevent seals from drying up and creating leaks which not only suck,(air-cond. not working)...but are expensive and will lead to your car being abused,(scratched,dented) in a shop when you take it in for repair.

I don't typically use air in my Challenger either...but I turn it on for 10 minutes or so every once in awhile for this all important lubrication.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
1) To the OP, use air conditioning in the reciculated mode as previously stated to stop outside smells from getting in. Air conditioning will defrost quickly, that is essentialy what defrost is.
....which is an obvious work-around but inconvenient at best IMO. Instead of switching to the other vents, switching to recirc and (usually in my case) adjusting the temperature and/or vents now that the air is blowing on me (or my wife), it would be easier (not to mention faster) to simply have the option to hit recirc when you need it while in defrost mode.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
....which is an obvious work-around but inconvenient at best IMO. Instead of switching to the other vents, switching to recirc and (usually in my case) adjusting the temperature and/or vents now that the air is blowing on me (or my wife), it would be easier (not to mention faster) to simply have the option to hit recirc when you need it while in defrost mode.

Yea, you're right, doesn't make sense to me either.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Yea, you're right, doesn't make sense to me either.
....it especially sucks when you see a dead skunk on the side of the road and can't switch things over in time. :lol:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts