Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I just bought a used 2009 Dodge Challenger SE. A couple weeks after buying it, I noticed the climate controls stopped working.

I tried setting the blower on low, med, and high. Nothing. Tried cold air, hot air, and different defrost settings. Nothing. Even when I press the circulate air, AC, and rear defrost buttons they don’t light up.

However, if I drive the car around for a little, park, turn the car off, and back on, all the controls will work again. Except for circulate air, that button blinks when I press it. Sometimes I have to turn the car off and back on several times before the controls come back online.

I read some posts on this forum that suggested checking 10AMP R14 fuse in rear, but mine was fine. I replaced it just in case, but controls are still not working.

Was going to stop by dealership tomorrow. Just wanted to see if anyone experienced this problem. Thanks for any tips!

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
13,695 Posts
Welcome to Challengertalk ;) When it doesn't work, no blower or anything? Might try disconnecting the negative battery cable for a couple of minutes, then reconnecting

Try this procedure

Possible this could be the humidity sensor, would depend on if any code(s) stored

A Guy

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey guy,

Thanks for the warm welcome!

I have the manual HVAC system, but I'm not sure if the AC/Heater Control module has ever been replaced. I highly doubt it though. I don't see any blinking lights as if it were auto calculating upon each start up, which is what I've heard when people replace their AC/Heater Control modules.

Is the scan tool something I need to go to the dealership for? Or will Autozone / O'Reilys have this?

I will give that air circulating tutorial a try tomorrow morning.

Really appreciate the help!

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
13,695 Posts
The scan tool would be a dealer, yes. You should be able to get any codes at an auto parts store though

A Guy

·
Super Moderator
14,543 Posts
Hey guy,

Thanks for the warm welcome!

I have the manual HVAC system, but I'm not sure if the AC/Heater Control module has ever been replaced. I highly doubt it though. I don't see any blinking lights as if it were auto calculating upon each start up, which is what I've heard when people replace their AC/Heater Control modules.

Is the scan tool something I need to go to the dealership for? Or will Autozone / O'Reilys have this?

I will give that air circulating tutorial a try tomorrow morning.

Really appreciate the help!
dealer will have software that can scan Body Control Module to retrieve what error codes are present and help narrow down what part of the system creates the non-op symptoms

ODB scanners won't read that information since each maker has proprietary systems beyond the engine / powertrain management that encompasses ODB-II systems

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Alright guys,

I've tried all of the tips posted on this forum.

- Unplug negative battery cord for 15min. Plugged back in. Started car. AC/Heater Control unit still not working (none of the dials or buttons)

- Removed every single 10AMP fuse (including 30AMP #42, and #43) from the rear fuse box. Waited 10min. Bought brand new 10AMP fuses and put those back in. Started car. AC/Heater Control unit still not working (none of the dials or buttons)

- Removed AC / Heater Control Unit and checked wires/connectors. All good. Unplugged them all and plugged back in for safe measure. Started car. AC/Heater Control unit still not working (none of the dials or buttons)

I called Dodge to see if they have the AC/Heater Control unit in stock (55111904AE). Apparently they stopped making this part for Challengers 2009 and older.. I asked them where I could find it, they said Autozone, O'Reilys, or Napa. I called all of them, but they all said they don't carry the part or ever will. No junkyards have a Challenger in my year, which I need because apparently the AC/Heater Control units for 2009+ Challengers are a different. Rock Auto, Summit Racing, all the Mopar part websites don't have it.. Literally my only hope is a used one off eBay

Unfortunately the part won't arrive until December 11th.. So I won't have a car for 2 weeks. Hopefully that used AC/Heater Control unit fixes my problem. If not I believe the only other 2 things it could be are my Heater Blower or my Actuators. Really bummed out how this happened right after I bought the car. Haven't even owned it for a week. Really loved this car at first.

Does anyone know if the AC/Heater Control unit for 2010+ Challengers will fit in my 2009?

·
Super Moderator
14,543 Posts
I found the part on Rock Auto

there's one for cars built from 2/02/09 onward available

the one for builds prior to 2/02/09 is showing out of stock

your VIN sticker on the driver's door will show you vehicles build date MM:DD:HH (last two are hours in 24 hour format)

that's odd since many models prior to 2011 seem to have the same control set. I remember renting a 2009 Sebring that had the same HVAC controls.

the 2011 - 2014 won't work for yours since those had auto climate control and the '10 and earlier were manual climate control - FYI

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
"the one for builds prior to 2/02/09 is showing out of stock "

Yeah, unfortunately my Challenger was built in October 2008. I saw that note on Rock Auto for the 2 different versions too. The dealers ask and say the same thing. All 3 Dodge dealerships in my state said they don't sell them anymore and my best bet would be an aftermarket one. The problem is nobody makes an after market one either. There is literally only one eBay post for this exact part and it takes 2 weeks to ship. I'm gonna try the junkyards in my area, hopefully they have an exact 08-09 Dodge Challenger lol. Other than that, gonna beg this eBay seller to overnight ship.

I read somewhere that someone tried the AC/Heater Control unit for the builds from 2/2/09 (and on) in his 2008 Challenger and the only thing that didn't work was his AC. I might be willing to live with that (I live in Seattle).

Thanks for helping, Hal. Really appreciate it

·
Super Moderator
14,543 Posts
I'd have the diagnostic to determine if its the control unit itself or something else. Or if a re-flash might resolve it.

Its very strange that a part is discontinued - I looked at online dodge dealer parts and its Not Available...

the similar looking controls were used in other models - but they have different part numbers

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've got a diagnostic scheduled with my local Dodge dealership this Tuesday AM. They said if I bring the part from eBay they'll install it for me and only charge labor (if that is the cause of problem). If it's not the problem, I'll still be happy, because Dodge still makes the other parts.

I think they discontinued them because people's AC/Heater Control units started to smoke and burn up right behind the 1st dial (fan setting). I've read at least 3 posts on this website about it. They should have recalled them, not just leave people in the dust w faulty units.

I may stock up on them. They may become a very rare commodity soon.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
13,695 Posts
There is a long list of DTCs for the Heater control system. Hopefully they can narrow it down to one which will point to the correct test/culprit

A Guy

1 - 12 of 12 Posts