Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have an SRT8 2012 and I think I have an issue with the heater :

When I start the car in the morning, with temperature set to 72 degrees, the heater is blowing quickly hot air (good) as outside temperate is around 41 degrees (fahrenheit) but after 30 mn driving, the heater is blowing cold air only and the only way to have hot air again is to put the temperature to the maximum.
There is no special noise, so I was thinking there may be a temperature sensor somewhere which is not working properly or maybe the door actuator issue described in several posts here, but I don't hear any clicking noise in the dashboard...

Any idea ?

Thanks

Cedric

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Hi,

I have an SRT8 2012 and I think I have an issue with the heater :

When I start the car in the morning, with temperature set to 72 degrees, the heater is blowing quickly hot air (good) as outside temperate is around 41 degrees (fahrenheit) but after 30 mn driving, the heater is blowing cold air only and the only way to have hot air again is to put the temperature to the maximum.
There is no special noise, so I was thinking there may be a temperature sensor somewhere which is not working properly or maybe the door actuator issue described in several posts here, but I don't hear any clicking noise in the dashboard...

Any idea ?

Thanks

Cedric
At least 2 possible explanations. Temperature control valve. Blend door motor.

You might be able to eliminate the temperature control valve by checking -- if you can reach it or even "hit" it with an infrared temperature probe -- the heater core. If the core is cold after a while the temperature control valve is suspect. If the heater core is warm/hot then the blend door is acting up, air is not being directed through the heater core.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply, Rockster. I have to locate the control valve, it will be easier in few days when I receive the workshop manual.
I wonder also how is measured the interior temperature ? Maybe it is embedded in the temperature control panel...

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Thanks for your reply, Rockster. I have to locate the control valve, it will be easier in few days when I receive the workshop manual.
I wonder also how is measured the interior temperature ? Maybe it is embedded in the temperature control panel...
Not sure how my Challenger measures cabin temperature. In my Porsche Boxster and Turbo there was a small round screen in the dash -- on the passenger side -- behind which was a slow speed fan the circulated cabin air past a temperature probe. This along with an infared sensor helps the Porsche auto climate control keep tabs on the cabin temperature and how how the occupants might feel.

I expect -- no promises though -- the workshop manual should probably provide you with what you need to know.

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
spose you checked the fluid level first........ I'm old school. And thanks for the advice, I like hearing these things.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi,

The ambient temperature sensor, located under the steering wheel, is composed of a fan and a sensor. On my car this fan was blocked so the temperature could not be measured properly.
The part has been changed, it should works properly now (I don't know yet as the car is still in the Jeep dealer and they wait for new parts (wires) to fix the heating seat.

Thanks for your advices & comments.

Bye

Cedric

1 - 6 of 6 Posts