Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love everything about Kenne Bell most importantly their customer service and I am not even sure this is on them, but Man do I ever so hate the 8 helicoils that are installed in my intake plate where the SC mounts. I bought the car used with the SC installed and shortly after ownership (2 weeks) I noticed it was sweating oil at the back 2 bolts. After discussing with Mike at KB he asked that I send the blower in for inspection. Their customer service from my very first question to today has been second to none. Anyways after removing the SC I noticed immediately that those rear bolts had some sort of a Teflon paste on them. They were the only 2 out of all 8. I immediately became curious as to why. Well needless to say it was because the installer of this kit stripped the helicoils out of them and was using the paste as an attempt to seal the leak. Well here I am about a month later getting ready to put the newly built blower on and start reading up on torque specs, etc... 18 ft lb's for those bolts and good to go. I inserted new helicoils and was off to the races. Needless to say even before I could secure this thing down I myself rip out another 2 helicoils. :( I know for a fact I wasn't even at 15 lbs of torque. Now I am forced to yank everything off and insert 2 more helicoils. Not a big deal but a real pain in the ass. I truly feel that the first installer went apeshit on these factory helicoils which is why I am having so much trouble. I guess if this is my only issue with the car I should be happy. Everything else about it is amazing. Did anyone else see similar issues to mine?

·
Registered
339 Posts
Since I don't have the set up you have I'm only guessing here, but....He may not have stripped the threads. I used to have a GTO with a 6-71 blower. The manifold came from Gary Dyer's shop with all the mounting holes Helicoiled. It prevents galling when tightening a steel bolt into aluminum and prevents ruining the manifold. Maybe they installed them to prevent this from happening since those bolts must be tightened a bit more than the others?

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You guys might be right. I don't think the issue was initialy KB but the previous owner. I installed a couple helicoils last night and it was better then new. I might just do all 8 of them.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts