Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would a hellcat airbox and AFE dry filter w/ headlight tube add any gains in HP or throttle response?
Way Cheaper then a cold air intake and it is Mopar. What kind of results can I expect?

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
17,021 Posts
Likely neither, or little. If you run the car hard it will allow the intake temps to drop faster. It will feed more outside air than the stock airbox fender pull alone. The filter likely flows more, but the stock filter flows more than a stock V6 requires. I think even if you has a ported throttle body and matched ported intake, the stock system would still be sufficient. I think on the V6 any CAI, airbox mod alone are only for looks. With a CAI you also get some increased sound. You won't get any sound increase from the Hellcat box. You will get some cool factor ;)

A Guy

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How about the difference in air filters? From a stock filter to the AEM dry filter other then the obvious. The huge price difference, it is washable reusable, Not the oil type like K&N. How does AEM perform over Mopar stock filter? I wanted a Mopar CAI initially but they are not CARB compliant, I like the factory look the big blue air filter the M on the silver tube. I will do the Hellcat lower airbox with headlight tube maybe that little screen and either a stock mopar hellcat dry paper filter or AEM dry filter.
would this hellcat airbox setup pass a SMOG test? or would i need to change it back to original lower airbox when smog time comes around?
When looking under the hood it looks factory.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
17,021 Posts
It should easily pass smog. It's a closed airbox, and the likelihood of someone seeing the tube and crying foul is pretty low. You won't need a smog test for 6 years anyway ;)

Vehicles registered in areas subject to the biennial smog certification program are required to submit evidence of a smog certification every other renewal period. Owners of vehicles six or less model years old will pay an annual smog abatement fee for the first six registration years instead of being required to provide a biennial smog certification.
A Guy

·
Registered
635 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
All I can say is I was consistently running 6.5's added hellcat box with tube and k&n. I consistently run 6.1. Can say anything about hp or torque. Response feels much quicker. Stock everything else including exhaust. 2018 challenger sxt

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15 Posts
So it pulls air in at two places?
The fender and the headlight.
Yeah although I think I'm pulling some hot air from the engine bay. The afe headlight tube doesn't fit snug. There's probably about 1/8 gap around it. (Headlight side) So maybe its pulling in hot air from engine bay. So I plan on getting some kind of weather rubber stripping or something to that effect and fill the gap. With the bottom being the biggest opening I'm sure there's not much suction from the headlight. Haven't tested it. But it'll make me feel better.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
The afe headlight tube doesn't fit snug. There's probably about 1/8 gap around it. (Headlight side) So maybe its pulling in hot air from engine bay. So I plan on getting some kind of weather rubber stripping or something to that effect and fill the gap.
I used foam due to the Mopar tube having a similar gap.

·
Super Moderator
15,397 Posts
Yeah although I think I'm pulling some hot air from the engine bay. The afe headlight tube doesn't fit snug. There's probably about 1/8 gap around it. (Headlight side) So maybe its pulling in hot air from engine bay. So I plan on getting some kind of weather rubber stripping or something to that effect and fill the gap. With the bottom being the biggest opening I'm sure there's not much suction from the headlight. Haven't tested it. But it'll make me feel better.

Part of the reason for the gap between the Air Catcher port and tube - asked an FCA engineer about this...

The lower airbox pulls front the apron and the duct in lower grille ('15+). That gap provides a "vacuum break".

If you drove through deep water - the engine would effectively use the duct / airbox like a siphon and hydrolock the engine if everything was sealed up. Think about instances where in AZ, TX, NM where they get flash floods from rainstorms - and people drive through flooded areas where creeks, rivers and washes (arroyos) occur. As we've seen on the news - people do this a lot every year.

A manufacturer designs around all sorts of "what if" possibilities. So that gap prevents the siphon effect.

I had asked why the Mopar CAI for Shakers had that 3" x 3" square hole in front of the airbox and that was the reason why they had that.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Part of the reason for the gap between the Air Catcher port and tube - asked an FCA engineer about this...

The lower airbox pulls front the apron and the duct in lower grille ('15+). That gap provides a "vacuum break".

If you drove through deep water - the engine would effectively use the duct / airbox like a siphon and hydrolock the engine if everything was sealed up. Think about instances where in AZ, TX, NM where they get flash floods from rainstorms - and people drive through flooded areas where creeks, rivers and washes (arroyos) occur. As we've seen on the news - people do this a lot every year.

A manufacturer designs around all sorts of "what if" possibilities. So that gap prevents the siphon effect.

I had asked why the Mopar CAI for Shakers had that 3" x 3" square hole in front of the airbox and that was the reason why they had that.
Hmm makes sense. And yeah floods bad where I live too. Maybe not to that extreme but better to be safe. Maybe I'll leave it be. Plus I did put in d.i.p.s On passenger side too to help cool off engine while driving. Just gonna have to pop the hood and give her a good wiping down more often. More maintenance but I like the balanced look.

·
Registered
2015 Challenger SRT
694 Posts
Even if you don't have a Hellcat box,open up the 2 light holes that will push in more air to the engine compartment to cool it down...Also if you wrap the airbox with insulation, like Reflectix...Every little bit helps to cool the air...

·
Registered
27 Posts

That's what I did. I got some cheapo adhesive weather stripping (just like the stuff on the bottom of the airbox) and put it around the headlight tube. The aFe tube is now nice and snug on there.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I went the whole way with the Hellcat air box. I did top, bottom and aFe headlight air tube. I have an 18 R/T so I modified the Hellcat airbox lid to work with the R/T air tube (the hellcat air tube is a larger diameter). Now I have a nice smooth surface on the roof of the airbox lid and the benefits of the headlight intake. It only cost me another $45 and an hour or two of time.

Attachments

·
Registered
2013 Challenger SXT
1,221 Posts
So my track testing shown on the 3.6 that a drop in K&N filter over a clean stock filter was good for .5 mph in trap speed and .05 decrease in e.t. which is about 5 hp.

Then the K&N cold air intake kit was good for .10 mph and .10 e.t. drop about 10 hp over the stock air cleaner set up.

I even tried the mopar cai kit and it hurt 60 ft times ( I think because the metal tube was so hot) and barely just beat out the stock set up over all. I sold that kit asap after my test session at the track when I had over 600 dollars in parts that day I tested this stuff.

Later when I was supercharged, I tested the hellcat box and stock hellcat filter ( new) vs the drop in K&N filter, the K&N filter showed more airflow over the stock hellcat filter in my data logs, so the hellcat filter was boxed back up and put on the shelf. More airflow more power potential.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts