Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,848 Posts
It can be done but it's a large pain.
The front end comes off in less than 15 minutes and makes the job MUCH easier.
I use a furniture pad that I picked up from Harbor Freight to set it on.
Not my video but it has some good tips:

·
Registered
4,946 Posts
When I pinned the crank on my 2015 5.7 all I had to remove was the radiator fan. Key is to get a compact right angle drill. I used a pneumatic one I bought from HF.

·
Premium Member
1,848 Posts
When I pinned the crank on my 2015 5.7 all I had to remove was the radiator fan. Key is to get a compact right angle drill. I used a pneumatic one I bought from HF.

The 5.7/6.4 are a little easier to do.
However the Hellcat has an hard intercooler line that runs across the bottom of the radiator, as well as an intercooler in front of the radiator, which gives you a lot less room to work.
Can it be done?

Yep, and I have done it.
However I've done multiple others subsequently by pulling the front end and it's much easier.

My 2 cents, YMMV.

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is all the work done from the top? Drilling? What is the actual advantage to taking the bumper off? Basically so your closer to the work?

·
Premium Member
1,848 Posts
The fans have to come out of the bottom of the car.
The radiator needs to be unbolted and pushed towards the front of the car to gain clearance to do so.
On the Hellcat there’s a hard intercooler line that runs across the bottom of the radiator, as well as an intercooler in front of the radiator. Both make it more of a challenge to get in there with the bumper on.
Taking the bumper off gives you a lot more room to work/move the radiator without damaging the fins.
It’s literally a 15 minute operation the first time.
From the point of where you would already be at to drop the fans I can have the bumper off in 5 minutes.
The 2015 up are much easier than the previous gen. to pull off, but other than 2 extra pita nuts they weren’t that bad either.
If you’re changing the lower pulley it also gives you a lot more to to work when doing the clearancing on the front cover.
Like I said, it can be done without pulling it, but it’s much easier with it off.
I have done a few now, and I prefer pulling the bumper.
My 2 cents YMMV

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
3 Participants
YLWJKT
Dodge Challenger Forum
Challenger Talk, the online forum for discussions, reviews of Dodge Challenger, and all things SRT, Hellcat, and Demon.
Full Forum Listing