Dodge Challenger Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
I think the valve covers are housing the new super-secret solenoid controlled valve train. Or are they pneumatic valves like F1 cars use?

I'm sure it's neither of these but still can't figure out the valve covers. Those bumps look functional and not just for looks. They seem to be right above the valve springs.

·
Registered
601 Posts
not trying to burst anyones bubble but why on earth would the hellcat engine be on an assembly line? It hasnt even been revealed yet. Let alone in production but dodge just happens to have it going down the assembly line now while they are still building the 14 style bodies and platforms? That doesnt make any sense to me or even possible. Maybe BB can RS can chime in on that. Doesnt add up to me.

·
Premium Member
8,295 Posts
not trying to burst anyones bubble but why on earth would the hellcat engine be on an assembly line? It hasnt even been revealed yet. Let alone in production but dodge just happens to have it going down the assembly line now while they are still building the 14 style bodies and platforms? That doesnt make any sense to me or even possible. Maybe BB can RS can chime in on that. Doesnt add up to me.
They are building pre production cars and have been for a while....

·
Registered
2,809 Posts

Who said that's an assembly line as we know it. There really isn't anything around in the pic to validate it's an actual "assembly line". Look right in front of the motor. You'll see the SRT resonators from the exhaust. Since when would you see the exhaust laying in front of the engine on an assembly line?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
601 Posts
Who said that's an assembly line as we know it. There really isn't anything around in the pic to validate it's an actual "assembly line". Look right in front of the motor. You'll see the SRT resonators from the exhaust. Since when would you see the exhaust laying in front of the engine on an assembly line?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

I dont know. Probably EVERY assembly line where the rear of one car is right in front of the other car. However the poster above you mentioned they are doing preproduction cars so it makes sense now. I didnt think they did the pre assembly this early though.

edit: Plus I dont think thats an SRT in front of it. Those look like the same resonators on my RT and those definitely arent Brembos on those rear brakes right in front of those resonators

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Its nothing to have new model year components come down the line with the previous years production. There r very good tracking systems in place to keep them tracked through production.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
It's hard to say whether or not this is indeed a "Hellcat". I heard that the "Hellcat" will have 275s, quad-exhaust tips and other tweaks. This has none of that. This could have the SC6.2 and they are testing other features and it does not matter if it has the other appearance features. Nice to see something, that's for sure.

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
I dont know. Probably EVERY assembly line where the rear of one car is right in front of the other car. However the poster above you mentioned they are doing preproduction cars so it makes sense now. I didnt think they did the pre assembly this early though.

edit: Plus I dont think thats an SRT in front of it. Those look like the same resonators on my RT and those definitely arent Brembos on those rear brakes right in front of those resonators

That's just it genius, where in that pic do you see a CAR? Exactly, there ain't one. Yes it's probably the Hellcat engine, but it certainly doesn't look like its on a "line". Further more, the resonators you spoke of looking like the ones in your rt, look like the ones that were in my SRT before I changed out the exhaust.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
That bring the body down on the completed chassis. The complete chassis is what is seen here. Look close and u can see the chain that drives the "line" everyone needs to pipe down a little.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
I blew it up a bit but the resolution of the original isn't very good. Can someone explain the valve covers?

The Helcat is a Multi Air engine, those are the hydraulic intake valve actuators. The cam is for the exhaust valves only> The PCM actually controls how far the intake valve opens and how long it stays open.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Oh my. That sounds like it could be a Nightmare, or super bad ass! Super bad ass has my vote.

The pics of the black car on moder mopar has dodge on the tail lights, test Mule maybe?

·
Premium Member
1,318 Posts
The Helcat is a Multi Air engine, those are the hydraulic intake valve actuators. The cam is for the exhaust valves only> The PCM actually controls how far the intake valve opens and how long it stays open.
Dude, that's awesome information. Here is a WikiLink on Fiat's multi-air engine.

Very interesting indeed!

Here's a quote:
MultiAir engines will increase power (up to 10%) and torque (up to 15%), as well as considerably reduce consumption levels (up to 10%) and emissions of CO2 (up to 10%), particulates (up to 40%) and NOx (up to 60%)[2][1] when compared to a traditional petrol engine. The system also provides smoother cold weather operation, more even torque delivery and no engine shake at shut-off.[6] The Multiair technology took over a decade to develop. The vice president of Fiat Powertrain Research & Development Rinaldo Rinolfi led the team who developed the technology. Development costs were over $100 million.[7] There was also delay in development, at a time (2000-2005) when Fiat was in partnership with General Motors.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts