Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Hellcat front swap is done

25K views 21 replies 13 participants last post by  mattd2498 
#1 ·
well after one day in my garage i was able to get everything on my 2012 r/t and adjusted. i now just need to find the correct belly pan number and wheel-well part number. then that part of the swap will be complete. here are some pics.later on when i get more time i will show what i did to make the head light work the 2011-2014 headlight work from the 2015-17 hellcats

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Hood Muscle car
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Hood Rim
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Muscle car Tire
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Hood Muscle car

See less See more
#5 · (Edited)
in the pics you will see that the top mount and the 2 lower mounts i ground back 3/8". this move the headlights back about 3/8". and by doing this gave me an small gap between the headlight bezel and the headlights. next i installed the headlights and front bumper. once everything was in the correct location i used a grease pencil and marked the new headlight location. then pulled everything back apart. i added 1/2 to the grease mark and taped, sanded, cleaned and painted them black. you have to do this because the headlights from a 2015-17 are smaller so you will see the lights in the grill area. i did not want that so that is what i did. now that everything is dry and back together it looks stock.

you can see in the one pic that the headlight is longer and why i panted them so the light would not be in the grill.

also i did use an adhesion promoter then used hi temp paint. did not want the heat from the headlights to mess with the paint. i also pulled the core support and repainted all the sanding marks with base coat clear coat

Vehicle Auto part Car Engine Automotive exterior
Vehicle Car Auto part Automotive exterior Trunk
Blue Cobalt blue Electric blue Scooter
Headlamp Automotive lighting Light Auto part Vehicle

#9 ·
once everything was in the correct location i used a grease pencil and marked the new headlight location. then pulled everything back apart. i added 1/2 to the grease mark and taped, sanded, cleaned and painted them black. you have to do this because the headlights from a 2015-17 are smaller so you will see the lights in the grill area. i did not want that so that is what i did. now that everything is dry and back together it looks stock.

you can see in the one pic that the headlight is longer and why i panted them so the light would not be in the grill.
So you have to move/slide the headlights to fit the bumper, reason for the 3/8 grind? Drilled new holes?

Also, what did you add 1/2 to the headlights?

#6 ·
next i took the harness off and cut the to side marker plugs off. then i soldered the 2016 connector in place and covered the connections whith heat shrink.
i did make my 2012 belly pan work for now but i am trying to find the part number for the 2016 belly pans and front fender shield (plastic wheel well covers). i am wanting to do the hellcat fender shields because i would like to use the air cooling for the brakes. i am hoping to have my brembos back soon. i sent them out to have them powder coated white and rebuilt. they were used so i wanted them to be rebuilt.
but any help with the 3 part numbers would be great.

Tire Automotive tire Auto part Cable Wire
Wire
Vehicle Car Automotive exterior Bumper Auto part

#16 · (Edited by Moderator)
next i took the harness off and cut the to side marker plugs off. then i soldered the 2016 connector in place and covered the connections whith heat shrink.
i did make my 2012 belly pan work for now but i am trying to find the part number for the 2016 belly pans and front fender shield (plastic wheel well covers). i am wanting to do the hellcat fender shields because i would like to use the air cooling for the brakes. i am hoping to have my brembos back soon. i sent them out to have them powder coated white and rebuilt. they were used so i wanted them to be rebuilt.
but any help with the 3 part numbers would be great.

View attachment 731225 View attachment 731233 View attachment 731241 View attachment 731249
Hellsfire Couple questions… so you used your harness and spliced the 16 socket on to your harness?

Also what is the pigtail used for?

#10 ·
ok, no drilling new holes, the oem holes pass all the way through. and for the 1/2"
if you draw a 3" circle and then draw a 1/2" line around the circle that is 3". then when you tape it up you will tape to the new larger line covering the fist 3" line. here is the reason for this is when you use the grease pencil to mark the openings the mark will be a tad bit smaller than the opening. so by adding the 1/2" this will allow the paint line to be hidden behind the headlight bezel. hope this answered your question

#11 ·
If I were to shave the mounting holes back for the old style headlights. When I got the new hellcat headlights would I have any issues mounting them. I assume so? Do you have a remedy. I got all my front end pieces but $1000 on some headlights right now are holding me back. Don't want to wait to install just for headlights

#12 ·
Sorry resurrect an old post. but are there any hood fitment issues?

#17 ·
Be aware, he hasn't visited in 2 years. I added a ping to his user name in your post, but you might try sending him a PM as he may have it set up to send him an email

A Guy

#20 ·
I know this is an older thread, but I'm doing this same thing with my 11 SRT8. Anyone know anything about making the front bumper/fascia fit with the 08-14 style headlights? Or is it better off with the 2015 and newer headlights? If that's the case, the only other issue I will have is the wiring. Any help is appreciated!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.