Dodge Challenger Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
18,585 Posts
The Demon Air Grabber and Hellcat Twin Snorkel (Raisin Bran) hoods are both sealed to the air box, no air goes under hood except direct to the air box

A Guy

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellcat Widebody - Triple Nickel
36 Posts
That's good info. Thanks.

Added: But does the Demon hood scoop also direct any air into the engine compartment? And the same question for the 2019+ Hellcats and REs.
I can answer the '19+ Hellcat question. Right scoop goes nowhere the left scoop feeds directly to the air intake just above the air filter. You can actually see the filter if you look into the left scoop. No air is directed into the engine bay.

·
Super Moderator
15,766 Posts
The demon had a grabber hood so all the air they went in was sucked in to the engine. I think one side of the hellcat hood pulls air into the engine bay.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
both scoops (functional) on the '19+ Hellcat hood feed into the air intake system.

By virtue of the the additional air available (over the closed airbox setup '15 - '18) the standard 'Cat had tuning modified and picked up 10hp for a rating of 717hp

Interview excerpt from Chris Cowland – the Director of Advance Powertains and the man who led the team that built the supercharged Hemi – where the extra power in the standard Hellcat came from. My goal was to find out if there were any components that could easily be fitted up to my car to grab a few extra ponies and while the answer was no, I got a full rundown on why the power levels vary between the 2015-2018 Hellcats and the 2019 models

The 2019 Hellcat also has a new dual snorkel hood and that is the secret to unlocking the extra power. The newest Hellcat (and the Redeye) both sport the dual-opening hood that feeds outside air directly into the engine. Both of the snorkel scoops are connected to the Demon’s cold air intake setup via a system of channels, and when coupled with the air catcher headlight and an inlet in the driver’s side wheel opening, intake air temperatures (IATs) are 4 degrees cooler.

·
Super Moderator
15,766 Posts
All I know is that my ScatPack has them.
They're using up the stockpile of 'Cat hoods;)

when the '16s sold in such quantity, someone in Purchasing went wild and committed a large order of 'Cat hoods.

then by MY '17 most everyone that had to have a Hellcat already had one.

The budget shoppers instead are waiting for used '15 / '16s to turn up. Hellcat sales are fairly small numbers production wise.

-anyway, that's my SWAG...
it has become much harder to figure out a model at a quick glance since many of the various hoods and front splitters are shared - you have to look at brake hardware / wheels / and the fender badges to figure out that the '19 / '20 R/T isn't an SRT 392 and a '19 / '20 SP Widebody isn't an '18 Hellcat WB...

or an R/T Shaker (5.7) isn't a 392 (hood scoop badges and brakes are the tell-tale)

·
Premium Member
3,784 Posts
The Challenger SRT Hellcat hood is made of light, strong military-grade aluminum. Many people are surprised to learn that none of the three surface openings feed air directly into the SRT Hellcat’s supercharger intake tract. Though the center opening resembles the carburetor air feed scoop first seen on the 1970 AAR ‘Cuda as well as certain SRT Vipers, on the Challenger SRT Hellcat, the center opening serves to cool the engine bay. The outer openings extract under-hood heat from the intercooler and are also placed specifically to release air trapped at high speed. Without them, the trapped air would collect under the hood skin and cause the front of the car to lift, contributing to drag and reducing the front tire contact patch. But there’s more. Once released to the slipstream of air flowing over the body of the car, the volume of air flowing out of the three hood vents meets the base of the sloped windshield where it exerts added downforce. Dodge brand engineers spent many months inside the Auburn Hills wind-tunnel test facility optimizing the sizes and shapes of these openings.

A look at the underside of the SRT Hellcat hood completes the picture. The author points out how the center opening admits cool, dense outside air into the engine bay. Supercharged engines like the SRT Hellcats are more sensitive to elevated operating temperatures than naturally aspirated engines. Without extra attention to the overall cooling system, heat soak can trigger computerized onboard vehicle sensors to step in with reduced ignition timing and reduced power delivery when you really need it. Not the SRT Hellcat. The dark padding absorbs sound and vibration.

A Guy
"The outer openings extract under-hood heat from the intercooler and are also placed specifically to release air trapped at high speed. Without them, the trapped air would collect under the hood skin and cause the front of the car to lift, contributing to drag and reducing the front tire contact patch."

Does this mean the cars without the extractors are not stable now? And a lower top speed? Inquiring minds want to know.

Reactions: 2015SXT

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
18,585 Posts
Death traps...every one! 👻

A Guy

Reactions: INK and 2015SXT

·
Registered
263 Posts
I bought one, or got one with my car from the dealer and i never ever thought to see if it made a temp change. I'm sure it keeps air moving better with those big holes, so It must.

I know the air extractors in the fenders of my old trans am were actually functional in moving hot air out of the engine compartment, so i imagine the same would hold true here.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts