Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking at cat's lately since the majority of the gouging is at bay, I'm respectively asking for your opinions on a leftover '17 with 30 miles, no sunroof..they claim they're their rock bottom is 63k. Thank you in advance guys

·
Registered
537 Posts
It's a decent price but not great....it is well under invoice. You could probably find a better deal if you traveled but then what's the cost of traveling? Is there a trade involved? There are still some leftover 16s in the mid 50's. I've heard of some low 50s but I don't think that's common but it probably will be in a few months.

·
Registered
537 Posts
New Car Prices and Used Car Book Values - NADAguides says the base *invoice* price of the car is $60,466. Destination is $1095.

Here's a link:

New 2017 Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat Coupe MSRP Prices - NADAguides

Note the most recent and highest prices paid.

If you want to be generous, offer the dealer $60,466 + $1095.
That might be a good offer and get the OP the car, but the dealer will point out that you have to add for the automatic transmission and gas guzzler tax, which puts invoice at $65,978 according to NADA. If it was me though I would walk away and wait for a call back if I thought I was paying too much. I would look up the car on www.autolist.com and see how long it's been on the market.

·
Premium Member
1,292 Posts
For what it's worth:
I bought my 2016 cat in March 2017, it was a left over.
It was stickered at $71000, I paid $ 64000.
The car was born in August 2016.
That was total price with destination and the extra cost of REDLINE RED paint.

·
Premium Member
1,732 Posts
FWIW, when I was looking for a used Scat Pack a few weeks ago, I was surprised to find out how poorly Hellcats hold their value. I even saw a few ones with low miles priced in the high-40s.

·
Registered
537 Posts
I think some people bite off more than they can chew. Many low mile used Cats for sale.
I think that's definitely true. Unless you paid cash if you own a Hellcat you are going to have a pretty significant car payment. It's a lot of money to tie up in something that gets limited use. The Hellcat is a big expensive toy and I can definitely see it being the first to go for alot of people when plans or life circumstances change.

·
Registered
599 Posts
I purchased my 2016 Hellcat new for MSRP ($69K) in Feb of 2016. This was my Only high performance car that I ever purchased New. I will Not make that mistake again.

If I had to do it over, I would have saved myself $15-20K and purchased a nice used, low mileage Hellcat.

·
Premium Member
2,331 Posts
I can't even imagine what it costs to get insurance on a Hellcat.

I did see a used one for $43,000...But it had 40,000 miles on it, so someone had a ton of fun driving that car.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think that's definitely true. Unless you paid cash if you own a Hellcat you are going to have a pretty significant car payment. It's a lot of money to tie up in something that gets limited use. The Hellcat is a big expensive toy and I can definitely see it being the first to go for alot of people when plans or life circumstances change.
Absolutely agree, I'd be paying cash...my SRT is paid for as well that's why I can take my time shopping, at this point I'm just gathering info..my biggest concern is not to pay a rediculous amount over, just what's fair

·
Registered
599 Posts
I can't even imagine what it costs to get insurance on a Hellcat.

I did see a used one for $43,000...But it had 40,000 miles on it, so someone had a ton of fun driving that car.
I pay $650 per year (full coverage), with multi-car discount.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Not a Hellcat but when I bought my 2018 Challenger R/T Scat Pack I offered the dealer the car's base price -- $38995 -- and destination charge -- $1095 - and that is what the dealer accepted. I "got" nearly $6K in options at no cost. Might have done even better.

All the dealer can do is say "no". But my advice to the OP is to be sure the offer is presented to the sales or general manager. The salesman can only say no he can't say yes. The salesman will say "no" if he thinks the car is going for too little and too little to the salesman is anything that reduces his commission.

OTOH, the sales manager/ general manager know what they have in the car. Getting rid of that left over Hellcat means the dealer then can "floor" two less expensive new cars and probably make more profit than he can from the sale of the Hellcat.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Not a Hellcat but when I bought my 2018 Challenger R/T Scat Pack I offered the dealer the car's base price -- $38995 -- and destination charge -- $1095 - and that is what the dealer accepted. I "got" nearly $6K in options at no cost. Might have done even better.

All the dealer can do is say "no". But my advice to the OP is to be sure the offer is presented to the sales or general manager. The salesman can only say no he can't say yes. The salesman will say "no" if he thinks the car is going for too little and too little to the salesman is anything that reduces his commission.

OTOH, the sales manager/ general manager know what they have in the car. Getting rid of that left over Hellcat means the dealer then can "floor" two less expensive new cars and probably make more profit than he can from the sale of the Hellcat.
Wow a lot of good info in your post I never even thought of.. if you think of anything else please post thanks Rockster, btw love your new wheels

·
Registered
14,272 Posts
I pay $650 per year (full coverage), with multi-car discount.
You have a clean record and must live in an ideal risk area for car insurance in general. I would almost say you pay less for insurance on your Hellcat than practically anybody. In my area of south La, I would expect to pay 3 or 4 times that.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
599 Posts
You have a clean record and must live in an ideal risk area for car insurance in general. I would almost say you pay less for insurance on your Hellcat than practically anybody. In my area of south La, I would expect to pay 3 or 4 times that.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
51 years old, married, both my wife and I have clean driving records. Live in Van Wert, Ohio.

My Hellcat and 2 other vehicles are bundled with our house insurance.

·
Registered
29 Posts

Trimec,

Here is my purchase on a New 2017 Challenger Hellcat.
This might be of some assistance for you on pricing.

Terry

This is the day I flew in and drove it away.

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
2,701 Posts
Absolutely agree, I'd be paying cash...my SRT is paid for as well that's why I can take my time shopping, at this point I'm just gathering info..my biggest concern is not to pay a ridiculous amount over, just what's fair
Usually dealers don't care for cash buyers because they lose out on the financing interest.

My suggestion is that if you really want that Hellcat, make them a low offer (but not so low that they won't take you seriously) because it's now changed to a buyers market because supply is higher than the demand on them. This lets them know that you're interested, but want the best deal that you can get. I say try $60-61k out the door and see what they say. The worse that they can say is no and you walk to fight another day.

One of the first rules of car negotiation is that if they come back with a ridiculous counter offer, then you know that they aren't serious and you walk. The longer that they let it sit on the lot, the more that they have to pay on it (lot costs, etc.) and maybe they'll call you and meet your offer.

It brings a perverse sort of enjoyment that the dealers that were gouging are now being gouged. After all, Greed is one of those seven deadly sins!

I believe that Karma is like a boomerang and most times, what you put out is what you get back! I also find that it's hard for me to feel bad for them, so now is a good time for you to be the gouger, instead of the gougee (I know that there are no such words, but you get the idea).

Trimec,

Here is my purchase on a New 2017 Challenger Hellcat.
This might be of some assistance for you on pricing.

Terry

This is the day I flew in and drove it away.

Great deal on a Fine looking Hellcat! Congratulations!

I find it kind of ironic that your payment is $666 (the Devil's numbers) on a Hellcat though! That's Kind of Freaky! :D

1 - 20 of 24 Posts