Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
2017 SRT8 Hellcat Destroyer Gray
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally bought my Hellcat that I have been wanting for a while. I wanted a specific color and waited till the prices came down to reality. I figured the insurance would go up a little but just about fell out of my chair when I received the new quote from Geico. My wife drives a 2015 Taurus limited and I had a 2008 Challenger SRT8. My old monthly payment was $249.23 full coverage on both so lets say it was $125 for each car per month. My new cost was now $662.83. WOW. So my insurance on the Hellcat was now $537.83 per month. That's more than my payment on the Hellcat. I called around and found that most companies were high but not like Geico. Long story short is I called Progressive and actually raise my coverage on both cars, I paid for the 6 months up front and paid $300.34 per month for both cars. If you getting rapped on insurance give them a call. I am VERY glad I did.

·
Registered
2019 Sublime Shaker and 2010 Detonator Yellow R/T Classic
1,882 Posts
I finally bought my Hellcat that I have been wanting for a while. I wanted a specific color and waited till the prices came down to reality. I figured the insurance would go up a little but just about fell out of my chair when I received the new quote from Geico. My wife drives a 2015 Taurus limited and I had a 2008 Challenger SRT8. My old monthly payment was $249.23 full coverage on both so lets say it was $125 for each car per month. My new cost was now $662.83. WOW. So my insurance on the Hellcat was now $537.83 per month. That's more than my payment on the Hellcat. I called around and found that most companies were high but not like Geico. Long story short is I called Progressive and actually raise my coverage on both cars, I paid for the 6 months up front and paid $300.34 per month for both cars. If you getting rapped on insurance give them a call. I am VERY glad I did.
Yeah, but in 6 months that will raise too!!! Enjoy it while you can sir! Maybe you can switch in 6 months again to a cheaper company as most insurance companies seem to raise the premiums after they get you to sign with them (in 6 months).

·
Registered
2017 SRT8 Hellcat Destroyer Gray
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I agree and would like to believe what I was told that with no issues it will go down in 6 months. I am not naive but will hope or change when they get stupid with the price. I told Geico they were nuts and they said there wasn't anything they could do. When i called yesterday to cancel the policy they questioned why and I told them. All of a sudden there was a $500 discount they could have given me but that still wouldn't come close to Progressive. I will fight the fight in 6 months if I have to. but untill then enjoy my Hellcat.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Yeah, but in 6 months that will raise too!!! Enjoy it while you can sir! Maybe you can switch in 6 months again to a cheaper company as most insurance companies seem to raise the premiums after they get you to sign with them (in 6 months).
I had State Farm for over 30 years, never was late, had no accidents, I decided one day to check around. Most companies were as high or higher. I checked into Progressive, there I was able to get twice the coverage, car rental and roadside assistance for 300 less per year. Before I changed I gave State Farm the opportunity to match the price for coverage. They quoted me the same price but only with the states minimum coverage. So I've been with Progressive for 3 years and my rates went down second year in. I will be checking around every 3 years just to keep an eye out.

Mopar or No Car, Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
I switched from State Farm to Progressive too this year and saved a bunch. Also if you have a garage and another daily driver, specialty companies like Hagerty, Grundy, etc can save you some money.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
15,441 Posts
Its Geico's way of saying:
-"we really don't want your business"
or, "if you have no other options, you're going to pay...dearly"

I went through this back in the 80s when I had a two-seater. [clean driving record] Got nailed for:
-sports car
-higher performance car
-insurance factor rating

I shopped around for insurance and some quote $3.6 - $4k/ year and some said outright they wouldn't issue a policy.

I was comparing rates, as my existing carrier then (State Farm) seemed high, but others were worse. Did some more hunting around and found a better rate through a different carrier.

All those stories we've read online about brand new Hellcats being wrecked on their first day? Insurance claims paid off those loans and Hellcats got a very unfavorable experience rating...

·
Premium Member
3,202 Posts
I had Allstate for quite some time and was very happy with the service but their rates kept climbing and when I went from a 5.7 to a 3.6 they actually charged more for the 3.6 so I went with USAA. My renewal with them just jumped $100 every six months so I called to complain. They asked about my mileage and I ended up adjusting the annual mileage estimate to a more realistic lower number and my rate dropped $200 every six months. Might be something to check into with your insurance companies and see how many miles they think you're driving. I expected the rates for auto and home insurance to go up. We all will have to pay for the hurricanes and fires. We know that money doesn't come out of company executives pockets.

·
Registered
963 Posts
I'm with State Farm and full cover on my 18 Scat Pack is $7 more a month than my 2011 Subaru Impreza (just a normal, non-turbo, Impreza).

$430 every 6 months for my Scat.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Get an insurance broker. Mine shops my plan every year for the best current deal. Rate creep is a common practice.

·
Premium Member
9,376 Posts
You take a beating like that just to say or have a Hellcat? That’s insane, an SRT or RT with a 392 is plenty fast and you save plenty of money. With all that difference I pay the payment on my kids car so at least I can look in my garage and an seeing a net worth in the cost difference, two cars in there for the same cost while others see one car that looks just like mine or any other Challenger. If some any unforeseen reason you gave to file a claim you’ll regret the decision.
Good luck to you, it’s just a car.

·
Registered
599 Posts
My Hellcat costs me $602 per year for full coverage.

That is with a multi-car discount, clean record and being 50 years old.

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
$577. per year on my Scat. The Hellcat would have been a little over $200. per year more. I am 60 years old, married with no children. No tickets.

·
Premium Member
9,376 Posts
I can’t decide which company has the lower IQ commercials, geico or progressive. Since I find their marketing stupid and insulting to the public’s intelligence, I’d never use either one.

·
Registered
550 Posts
I am getting worried with all of the posts regarding Geico on here. Two years ago, my policy renewal from MET arrived and was 50% higher on my Challenger and tagged as "high theft" for the first time. I looked at All State, Progressive and Geico to replace MET. Geico easily won out on price and a real positive was roadside assistance and the option for six month policy renewals. For me that meant rate reductions bi-annually for an "at fault" that my daughter had in 2014. I recently got into a scape. I was not at fault, went through Geico, they waived my deductible, put me in a rental and had my car back from the body shop in four days (7 days from accident to new). Real easy to deal with their people. I guess I will have to watch my rates over the next few months.

BTW ... this was not The Challenger, but my DD.

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
Ok, the 2 members paying VERY LOW cost insurance and are in there 50's/60's years old, What insurance company do you use?
I thought I was doing well at 59 years old and perfect record.
I have a 2009 Impala and a 2016 HELLCAT, an I pay $ 1200 a year with Liberty.

·
Premium Member
3,202 Posts
Ok, the 2 members paying VERY LOW cost insurance and are in there 50's/60's years old, What insurance company do you use?
That's pretty cheap. I'm paying $2200 year for a 2015 Ram and a 2016 SXT Challenger. No tickets since 1981 (that darned 455 Trans Am). I'm 62 BTW.

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
You are doing well. 60 years old (59 when I got the car!). Safeco is the insurance company. Through a broker. I also have a 2002 Impala ls and a 2016 Scat pack. I pay just under $1000. per year total. The Hellcat was a couple hundred more.

What I did find odd though, was at the insurance office doing my diligence I found out the Scat Pack Challenger is the same price as the RT. But the Scat Pack Charger is MORE than the RT Charger. So.........there ya go.

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
That's pretty cheap. I'm paying $2200 year for a 2015 Ram and a 2016 SXT Challenger. No tickets since 1981 (that darned 455 Trans Am). I'm 62 BTW.

SHOP!

·
Registered
599 Posts

My wife and I go through a local independent insurance agency out of Celina Ohio - Leugers Insurance Agency, Inc.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts