Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Challenger SXT
1,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is an extension to my Sprintex supercharger install thread, figured I should make this a new thread so it don't get lost with all the post on the supercharger.

To start off, I bought a new hellcat lower box and tube with a hellcat filter, I figure this set up is a good compromise over my lower bumper/fender pull cai kit I made and the stock sxt box.

Easy access to filter going hellcat box way, plus I get a lot better filtration to protect the blower from dirt plus more air flow over a stock non hellcat filter.

So i pulled out the stock unit and I transferred all foam from one box to another, next I tested fitted the box and found it fit well in stock location.

Next I saw the ability to use the stock hellcat tube by rotating 180 degrees and notching out the corner to clear the head light assembly. after some filling and fitting on the tube I was able to pull out and lower the hellcat box and tube as one piece into it's location with no issue.

The tube does not hang up anywhere and it can rotate some back and forth, so it's not jammed up by no means.

However the hellcat filter box seems to fit closer to the coolant tank and I did what I could to pull the box forward and to the center of the car before I tightened it down. I still had to loosen up the bolts on the coolant tank and move it away from the air box so I could get the upper lid on.

On my car I have direct air that feeds from my 392 chin spoiler to the bottom of the air box. The tube is just extended forward with no real means to help air to be forced into box, maybe at some later date with front nose off I can do more with it.

Biggest reason to do this mod, was the factory higher flowing filter and better box design, the filter will protect my blower much better than any of the aftermarket filters like the K&N that allow bigger dirt particles to pass thru. I maybe giving up a few hp and torque, but I'm ok with that, I would rather protect my blower from dirty air at this point than having a few extra hp thru dirtier air that will just eat up the inside of the blower and cause it to loose efficiency.

I included a picture of the upper stock sxt lid, I had thought about smoothing it but at this point there is to many squares to grind down, I may look at some of the other lid tops and find ones that are smoother or maybe even the hellcat top if I can find a clean way to fit my sprintex hose to the larger opening on the hellcat top.

Any questions I'll gladly answer.

Attachments

·
Registered
2013 Challenger SXT
1,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
more pictures

Attachments

·
Registered
2013 Challenger SXT
1,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
More pictures

Attachments

·
Registered
2013 Challenger SXT
1,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So I was doing some data logging today in the heat, 92 degrees ambient air temp. I was really working on my knock retard on the supercharger and 91 octane. I figured I could also keep an interest in the IAT since I just did the Hellcat air box.

Well 92 degrees out, best ever recorded temp was 93 degrees and it was for just a brief moment- mark it up as a cool spot of air never saw it again , other wise it ran mostly 95-96 degrees while traveling 65-70 mph.

I would stop to run a 1/4 mile run and my temp would creep up to 100 before I would launch the car, so I'm talking seconds of stopping maybe 15 seconds at the most, running thru the gears and finish at 110 mph the temp would be 95 degrees, I noticed about 80 mph is when the temp was falling, till then it was thinking about coming down I guess.

Not near as good as my custom CAI fender pull where it did read ambient.

But never the less the hellcat box seems to cool off way quicker then the stock sxt box ever did, which it took 10 miles of 45 mph to even come close to ambient the hellcat came down from 107 to 95 degrees in just a couple of miles if that.

So in my opinion just from what I know and what I saw this afternoon the hellcat box is working better then the factory stock sxt box. Does it make more power, who knows, probably not, but in this case I did see better results than the factory sxt box and I know with the factory hellcat paper filter I'm getting quality air for my blower.

Thought I would share.

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
6,188 Posts
So I was doing some data logging today in the heat, 92 degrees ambient air temp. I was really working on my knock retard on the supercharger and 91 octane. I figured I could also keep an interest in the IAT since I just did the Hellcat air box.

Well 92 degrees out, best ever recorded temp was 93 degrees and it was for just a brief moment- mark it up as a cool spot of air never saw it again , other wise it ran mostly 95-96 degrees while traveling 65-70 mph.

I would stop to run a 1/4 mile run and my temp would creep up to 100 before I would launch the car, so I'm talking seconds of stopping maybe 15 seconds at the most, running thru the gears and finish at 110 mph the temp would be 95 degrees, I noticed about 80 mph is when the temp was falling, till then it was thinking about coming down I guess.

Not near as good as my custom CAI fender pull where it did read ambient.

But never the less the hellcat box seems to cool off way quicker then the stock sxt box ever did, which it took 10 miles of 45 mph to even come close to ambient the hellcat came down from 107 to 95 degrees in just a couple of miles if that.

So in my opinion just from what I know and what I saw this afternoon the hellcat box is working better then the factory stock sxt box. Does it make more power, who knows, probably not, but in this case I did see better results than the factory sxt box and I know with the factory hellcat paper filter I'm getting quality air for my blower.

Thought I would share.
This is some good info. I've been waging a similar battle with various air intakes on my 3.5L and some designs are definitely better than others at preventing heat soak and bleeding it off once set in, as your data also shows.

One thing to note when talking about how efficient the HC air box and intake design is versus others within the context of feeding the system cooler air (or at least reporting the correct temp of the incoming air so PCM can provide enough fuel): IIRC the HC uses a MAF system to determine air charge volume, so it doesn't have to be the best at delivering cooler air, it's always going to know exactly how much is coming in, and that's the mist important thing.

As opposed to all us non-HC'ers who are still stuck with the speed density system and it's educated guesses at how much air is coming in, based partially on the temp of that air, which may not be exact if heat soak has set in.

Not that any if that will change the data you've recorded, I'm just saying we should keep in mind the designers of the HC air intake system had slightly diff requirements than the other engines designers, so care should be taken when comparing performance between HC system running on non)HC engine and previous systems it was meant to replace.

·
Registered
2013 Challenger SXT
1,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Which bring up my supercharger, this test of the hellcat air box is not apple to apple test, this hellcat air box has the IAT sending unit close to the radiator up front next to the blower, it's no longer way in the back near the passenger side firewall.

So there is some change in location and tubing from box to throttle body. But never the less, temps came down fairly decent and was within a few degrees of ambient at speed.

I think it is a good compromise between the factory sxt,rt and other challengers air box and a all out fender pull custom unit that does it all. I think the hellcat box fits right in the middle.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts