Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At the start of a 60 mile road trip a couple of weeks back and I needed the NAV system to find my way. Turned it on and the location was wrong. The last time I had the NAV on it was working just fine.

Thought it was because the car was under the carport and not getting a good GPS signal. But out from under the carport and in the clear and the location was still off. Way off. The vehicle symbol had me driving through pasture in a area that I didn't recognize by the street names.

At one point I turned the engine off and the electronics shut down. Upon engine restart the same thing. At one point the GPS had my location around 42 miles wrong.

I did not see any NAV reset choice in any of the menus. Stopped short of disconnecting the battery or even pulling a fuse. The battery is easy enough to get to -- just my SOP is to touch the battery and to disconnect it only when absolutely necessary. And this applies to fuses, too.

Besides it was clear the NAV software was reloading upon engine start.

Put the "radio" in dealer mode and managed to obtain the software version. I checked and this based on the info online was up to date. Also plugged in my VIN at the uConnect site and it indicated my car was up to date.

So I booked the car in for a diagnosis yesterday at 10:30am. The estimate was an hour to diagnose this. Car under warranty but for some reason -- way outdated Dodge software is my WAG -- the SA has to fill out quote of the time and cost. But he assured me this would not be charged because the car was under warranty.

So I sat down to wait. And I waited. And waited. Waited some more. I think close to noon I asked for an update. Was told the tech just got on the car around 11am and was not through yet.

Waited some more. I don't recall the time now -- I'm sure it was after lunch though -- but I asked for an update and was told the NAV unit is definitely not right -- I knew that before I brought the car in -- and Chrysler had been contacted and wanted the tech to download a new radio software update. Trouble is this is a 10GB (what I was told) download and would take an hour.

So I resumed waiting. And waited.

Getting close to quitting time and I spoke to the SA to let hm know I wanted it understood I was not leaving the car.

Was informed the tech earlier in the afternoon had gotten the image downloaded and applied it to the radio. (The update operation once the image is on a USB thumb drive takes approx. 15 minutes.) The NAV unit was still wonky.

Chrysler wanted a 2nd (!) radio software update image tried. Tech reported he was downloading this but it would not be done in time to apply it.

So, I was given the car back. This at almost 4:30pm.

Before I left the SA and I had a verbal agreement that he would call me when the latest image was downloaded and we'd work out when I could bring the car in and have this image applied. The word is if the 2nd image fails to fix things the radio would have to be removed from the dash to obtain some numbers from the back side (?) of the radio so a replacement radio could be ordered.

When it came in the old radio would be removed and the new radio installed.

So now I have to wait for the phone call. If I don't get one today I'm calling the service department. I want this NAV issue sorted out. While a replacment radio might show up overnight I would not bet on it. I will be on the road next month and driving through unfamiliar territory and I will need a working NAV system.

Oh, 2018 Hellcat with around 22K miles. Warranty expires I think Feb 17, 2021.

·
Premium Member
2018 Dodge Challenger T/A Plus in Yellow Jacket w/5.7L and A8 automatic
1,301 Posts
I’ve read of similar woes on a couple of different RAM/Cummins truck forums. One of the complaints was with a 2019 or 2020 RAM HD with the 12” display unit.

Hopefully you get it sorted out quick. I have read that there’s occasionally a backlog on replacement units.

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I’ve read of your woes on a couple of different RAM/Cummins truck forums. One of the complaints was with a 2019 or 2020 RAM HD with the 12” display unit.

Hopefully you get it sorted out quick. I have read that there’s occasionally a backlog on replacement units.
Thanks. Oh, not my woes on the RAM/Cummins truck forums because I don't visit those forums. Maybe you mean people there with woes like mine? That have the same goofy NAV behavior?

I can believe it.

'course, no phone call from the SA. Figures. Dodge head designer frets over splitter colors when he and some of his buds need to visit some dealers and kick them into shape. Yeah I know dealers are independent, but they all start the name of the business with "Dodge".

Guess I'll wait until tomorrow for the SA to call. Heck I could wait until the end of time, he's not going to call. I'm not smart enough, or I guess I'm too trusting, to not nail him down to a dead line. But I shouldn't have to. I tell someone I'm going to get back to them I do that and I'm not even in business. (When I had my own business I was very good about prompt communication especially with customers or could be customers.)

Bothered by the fact dash has to be partially disassembled to get to the back of the radio to get numbers necessary to order a replacement. This should be tied to the VIN number and in a database somewhere. But keep worrying about the splitter color, Dodge.

·
Registered
On Order - 2020 Scat Pack Hellraisin Shaker
380 Posts
What a bunch of bravo-sierra. These NAV systems are pretty common - lots of vehicles have them, and they share a lot of back end tech. No reason the dealership shouldn't have the big download cached on their local network. And 10Gb in size? No way that is all executable code, my bet is most of that is data (maps). Very surprised they cannot update the code independent of the database. Yeah, that level of competence, I wouldn't leave my vehicle there either.

...I will be on the road next month and driving through unfamiliar territory and I will need a working NAV system....
I've got a solution for that which is less than $20. o_O

Snarky comment aside, it wasn't long ago that was all we had to rely on for cross country road trips. Heck, two years ago that is all I had going from OR to MN and back in an old car. You bet, the Navigation system is nice and makes it easy. But sometimes unplugging the technology is good for the soul.

·
Premium Member
2018 Dodge Challenger T/A Plus in Yellow Jacket w/5.7L and A8 automatic
1,301 Posts
Thanks. Oh, not my woes on the RAM/Cummins truck forums because I don't visit those forums. Maybe you mean people there with woes like mine? That have the same goofy NAV behavior?
Yes......I edited that and changed the word “your” to ”similar” but apparently my edit didn’t follow through.....

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not sure what year HC you have but what radio do you have? If it is 2015-2016 RA4/VP4 there was a firmware update (18.45.01) back late last year that was to fix NAV otherwise it would be very inaccurate.

You can do the update yourself via Software Update for Uconnect® - Check For Updates download and install.
My car is a 2018. I have no idea what radio it has. I seem to recall coming across some info it is a Panasonic.

A while back I went on line at the uConnect site and it indicated my Hellcat radio software was up to date.

Was a bit surprised when at the dealer I was told Chrysler -- when contacted about the radio/NAV problem -- said there was another update available. This was downloaded and applied but did not help. The tech apparently contacted Chrysler again and yet another (!) update was offered. This was not downloaded in time.

Just sent an email to the service department to ask when will the latest software update be downloaded and I can bring my car by to have it applied.

But let me visit the uConnect site again and snoop around. If I can find and download the software I can apply it.

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What a bunch of bravo-sierra. These NAV systems are pretty common - lots of vehicles have them, and they share a lot of back end tech. No reason the dealership shouldn't have the big download cached on their local network. And 10Gb in size? No way that is all executable code, my bet is most of that is data (maps). Very surprised they cannot update the code independent of the database. Yeah, that level of competence, I wouldn't leave my vehicle there either.

I've got a solution for that which is less than $20. o_O

Snarky comment aside, it wasn't long ago that was all we had to rely on for cross country road trips. Heck, two years ago that is all I had going from OR to MN and back in an old car. You bet, the Navigation system is nice and makes it easy. But sometimes unplugging the technology is good for the soul.
You read my mind. The dealer should have the latest radio software already cached. And 10GB is I'm sure code and data, mostly data.

Really good customer service should have had the SA come to me and tell me what was going on and asked me if I wanted to wait an hour plus the time to apply the update or let the tech download the image and then have me come back. While I live 16 miles away it is not the end of the world to leave and then come back the next day. Much prefer that to sitting on my ass for nearly 6 hours at the dealer. That is not customer service. That is customer abuse.

Was a fan of maps for a long time. I have slowly been going through stuff and throwing away older Road Atlas maps. Think I tossed the last one a few weeks ago. I don't see any more on the bookcase.

I might have to go back to a map.

Or I have 2 portable NAV systems that I used in my other cars. The TomTom is "old" my sister gave it to me back in 2011 when she got her Infiniti with build in NAV and I probably won't try to use it. My original Garmin went bad and I updated it to a new one for less than it would have cost to send the old one in for repair. And the new Garmin has a life time maps feature. I'm sure the map is out of date so I'd have to update the map.

Still want to get the NAV system fixed while the car is under warranty.

While I wait for the service department to call I can spend my time digging out the Garmin NAV unit and updating its map.

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just visited the uConnect site again. And again it claims my car is up to date. Both software and maps.

Just emailed Chrysler asking it to make available to me the latest radio software image so I can download it and apply it. No way I am spending another 6 hours at the dealer while it pulls the big images off the 'net at a snail's pace.

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update. Heard back from Chrysler customer service. Pretty nice response time. And a pretty straightforward reponse too without all the marketing speak. Right the point. Helped to brighten my mood some. Kudos to Chrysler customer service.

That the car is nominally up to date with regards to its radio software was confirmed. uConnect is "right" in this regard.

But of course there are apparently 2 updates that are not yet in the system. The 1st one was applied and didn't help.

To get the 2nd one applied -- it has been downloaded I was told -- I have to take car in to get 2nd update applied.

And in the event the radio needs to be replaced it was confirmed the dash does have to be partially disassembled to get at the back of the radio unit to get some numbers off the radio to ensure the correct replacement part is ordered and installed.

I made an appointment for next Tuesday at 10:15am to get the 2nd update applied. I'll be sure to pack a lunch, a dinner and just in case a midnight snack.

·
Registered
On Order - 2020 Scat Pack Hellraisin Shaker
380 Posts
....I'll be sure to pack a lunch, a dinner and just in case a midnight snack.
Hehehe, wander around the showroom. Tease the sales droids with a trade-in opportunity. Do a few test drives to pass the time. Since they are so adept at wasting your time, make a sport of it. Might just encourage the sales manager to talk to the service manager and suddenly the 10Gb download magically happens a lot quicker. :sneaky:

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
18,521 Posts
They just remove the bezel and 4 screws, not very invasive

A Guy

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
They just remove the bezel and 4 screws, not very invasive

A Guy
Yes, you are right. The way it was described to me initially had me believing the radio had to damn near come out but yesterday this misunderstanding was cleared up.

BTW, the 2nd up date was applied. Took two tries. The first one failed with an "error code 20". But a retry apparently met with success.

But the NAV unit still bad. SA said there was also something not right with the display. When I got the car I didn't see this but I did confirm the NAV was still bad.

A new radio has been ordered.

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hehehe, wander around the showroom. Tease the sales droids with a trade-in opportunity. Do a few test drives to pass the time. Since they are so adept at wasting your time, make a sport of it. Might just encourage the sales manager to talk to the service manager and suddenly the 10Gb download magically happens a lot quicker. :sneaky:
I just can't fake car buying interest well enough.

BTW, there was a black RE on the show room floor.

Happened to look at the rear brakes and spotted this...

RE Rear Brake Discs.jpg

·
Registered
7 Posts
I live on the road, and am usually in rental cars. A good cell phone with a good network is my best friend. The navigation is reliable even out of country. Car navs tend to send me to open fields, particularly, for nukes.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just went through this (I have a 2017 T/A, with the Panasonic UAQ radio).

Approx October 2019 --- my Navigation crapped out, and my location was always ~ 50 miles incorrect.

Took it to the Dealer, and their first answer was "Your software is up-to-date." Entered my VIN on the Dodge website, same thing. Placed multiple calls to FCA Care, same thing.

Went back to the Dealer in January, and they ordered another Radio (I was still under Warranty). Radio was there in 2-3 days, and then installation & set-up took a few hours.

Anyway, too late now (since you're already at the "replacement Radio" stage) --- but if anybody else is having problems with the Panasonic navigation, don't waste too much time on the Software whack-a-mole. Decent chance you have a radio/hardware problem.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
18,521 Posts
Dealer will always make you whack-a-mole before they'll move on to replacement

A Guy

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I live on the road, and am usually in rental cars. A good cell phone with a good network is my best friend. The navigation is reliable even out of country. Car navs tend to send me to open fields, particularly, for nukes.
My cell phone is a pay as you go phone. I pay around $125/year for 365 days of air time, and enough talk, text and data that I don't run short of any of these. Given my phone usage this is more than enough talk, text, and data.

The data amount is 1.5GB. I consider cellular data to be an emergency data source feature. To operate the phone using cellular connection for data necessary for navigation would burn through that 1.5GB in no time. Yeah, I can add more. IIRC I can add 1GB of data for $10. But for a long road trip I'd probably need to have a pocket full of these cards.

Besides my cell phone has a pretty small screen and I just simply detest using a cell phone for any reason while driving.

I do have a Garmin NAV unit which I bought some few years ago for use in my car without built in NAV. I could use that.

But a new radio is on order. I'd like to get this sorted out while the car is still under warranty.

·
Registered
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy
1,959 Posts
My cell phone is a pay as you go phone. I pay around $125/year for 365 days of air time, and enough talk, text and data that I don't run short of any of these. Given my phone usage this is more than enough talk, text, and data.

The data amount is 1.5GB. I consider cellular data to be an emergency data source feature. To operate the phone using cellular connection for data necessary for navigation would burn through that 1.5GB in no time. Yeah, I can add more. IIRC I can add 1GB of data for $10. But for a long road trip I'd probably need to have a pocket full of these cards.

Besides my cell phone has a pretty small screen and I just simply detest using a cell phone for any reason while driving.

I do have a Garmin NAV unit which I bought some few years ago for use in my car without built in NAV. I could use that.

But a new radio is on order. I'd like to get this sorted out while the car is still under warranty.
As a side note, Google maps support offline maps, you download the whole area of your trip on wifi. There is another app (CoPilot) I use that downloads the whole country and is free, and no data usage. I use my old Note 3 for this in old cars with no nav.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts