Dodge Challenger Forum banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
As a side note, Google maps support offline maps, you download the whole area of your trip on wifi. There is another app (CoPilot) I use that downloads the whole country and is free, and no data usage. I use my old Note 3 for this in old cars with no nav.
Still have to deal with the small screen using my iPhone.

I'll get the radio replaced and get the NAV working. If the new radio goes out between when I get the radio replaced and get settled in to my new home if necessary I can resurrect the Garmin NAV.

Right now I'm probably going to keep the Hellcat after I relocate but if the NAV unit goes out again...

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
At the start of a 60 mile road trip a couple of weeks back and I needed the NAV system to find my way. Turned it on and the location was wrong. The last time I had the NAV on it was working just fine.

Thought it was because the car was under the carport and not getting a good GPS signal. But out from under the carport and in the clear and the location was still off. Way off. The vehicle symbol had me driving through pasture in a area that I didn't recognize by the street names.

At one point I turned the engine off and the electronics shut down. Upon engine restart the same thing. At one point the GPS had my location around 42 miles wrong.

I did not see any NAV reset choice in any of the menus. Stopped short of disconnecting the battery or even pulling a fuse. The battery is easy enough to get to -- just my SOP is to touch the battery and to disconnect it only when absolutely necessary. And this applies to fuses, too.

Besides it was clear the NAV software was reloading upon engine start.

Put the "radio" in dealer mode and managed to obtain the software version. I checked and this based on the info online was up to date. Also plugged in my VIN at the uConnect site and it indicated my car was up to date.

So I booked the car in for a diagnosis yesterday at 10:30am. The estimate was an hour to diagnose this. Car under warranty but for some reason -- way outdated Dodge software is my WAG -- the SA has to fill out quote of the time and cost. But he assured me this would not be charged because the car was under warranty.

So I sat down to wait. And I waited. And waited. Waited some more. I think close to noon I asked for an update. Was told the tech just got on the car around 11am and was not through yet.

Waited some more. I don't recall the time now -- I'm sure it was after lunch though -- but I asked for an update and was told the NAV unit is definitely not right -- I knew that before I brought the car in -- and Chrysler had been contacted and wanted the tech to download a new radio software update. Trouble is this is a 10GB (what I was told) download and would take an hour.

So I resumed waiting. And waited.

Getting close to quitting time and I spoke to the SA to let hm know I wanted it understood I was not leaving the car.

Was informed the tech earlier in the afternoon had gotten the image downloaded and applied it to the radio. (The update operation once the image is on a USB thumb drive takes approx. 15 minutes.) The NAV unit was still wonky.

Chrysler wanted a 2nd (!) radio software update image tried. Tech reported he was downloading this but it would not be done in time to apply it.

So, I was given the car back. This at almost 4:30pm.

Before I left the SA and I had a verbal agreement that he would call me when the latest image was downloaded and we'd work out when I could bring the car in and have this image applied. The word is if the 2nd image fails to fix things the radio would have to be removed from the dash to obtain some numbers from the back side (?) of the radio so a replacement radio could be ordered.

When it came in the old radio would be removed and the new radio installed.

So now I have to wait for the phone call. If I don't get one today I'm calling the service department. I want this NAV issue sorted out. While a replacment radio might show up overnight I would not bet on it. I will be on the road next month and driving through unfamiliar territory and I will need a working NAV system.

Oh, 2018 Hellcat with around 22K miles. Warranty expires I think Feb 17, 2021.
Sounds bad, it seems that the radio issue is not new. I had my radio system replaced twice. A lot of my fiends have had similar issues, radio going off and on, going to black screen and not coming back on for a few seconds. Dodge need to recall this and replace that system all together. When my system went in they could not get the temp and oil gage working through the radio panel and after almost 6 months they put a second system in and Dodge Engineers said that it would not work. So I said I will keep my car but I want something in return and they offered parts and I jumped on it.

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Sounds bad, it seems that the radio issue is not new. I had my radio system replaced twice. A lot of my fiends have had similar issues, radio going off and on, going to black screen and not coming back on for a few seconds. Dodge need to recall this and replace that system all together. When my system went in they could not get the temp and oil gage working through the radio panel and after almost 6 months they put a second system in and Dodge Engineers said that it would not work. So I said I will keep my car but I want something in return and they offered parts and I jumped on it.
Everything else seems to work ok. The radio what little demands I make of it. The climate control "app" (?). Performance Pages. Just the NAV is clearly bad.

At the dealer yesterday and asked and the new radio is in so I set up an appointment to get the new radio installed next Monday.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts