Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
All of the 1/4 mile times I have read say the Hellcat is only 1/10th of a second slower than the Redeye. How much of a difference is that, a car length or????
I want more power but care less about the drag strip, other than bragging rights, is the Redeye worth the 8K more?

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
To clarify, I would order the wide body on either.
Just find it hard to decide between the Hellcat or Redeye, with the prices I was quoted the Redeye cost $7624. more. I know it has 80 more rated HP and other things that I believe are more of an advantage in racing. I'm not sure they are worth it for street use only.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
6,172 Posts
It is a tough decision if you plan on doing the widebody. Maybe save the $8k for gas. :grin2:

“At full throttle, the Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat Redeye’s high-output engine consumes 1.43 gal/min (5.4 liters/min) of fuel — enough to drain the fuel tank in just under 11 minutes"

·
Super Moderator
13,601 Posts
The Redeye basically replaces the Demon and, although it is street legal, it is intended for the track. If you only intend to use your Challenger for street use, the standard 717 hp Hellcat is the better choice).

FCA says the 797 horsepower Challenger Redeye is now the quickest muscle car with a claimed 0-60 mph time of 3.4 seconds and a quarter-mile time of 10.8 seconds at 131 mph with a top speed of 203 mph. The Demon, capable of 840 hp. and 770 lb.-ft. on high-octane race fuel, had a claimed 0-to-60 mph in 2.3 seconds.

The Hellcat Redeye's Hemi is paired with an eight-speed automatic. Dodge says the power plant has 25 major component upgrades, including a larger supercharger (2.7 liters, up from 2.4) with higher boost pressure (14.5 psi, up from 11.6), strengthened connecting rods, pistons and valve train, high-capacity fuel injection system and improved lubrication. It gets a second fuel pump and a higher redline of 6,500 rpm.

It also has the Torque Reserve system that starts building boost before launching, as well as the air conditioned intercooler to provide extra cool intake air. Both of these were features in the Demon. Furthermore, if the standard 2.62:1 final ratio isn't quick enough for you, Dodge offers a 3.09:1 rear axle.

Externally, the Redeye comes with the Demon and Hellcat Widebody's fat fender flares. With them, you get 3.5-inch-wider wheels (20x11-inch forged "Devil's Rim" aluminum) with Pirelli P Zero 305/35ZR20 tires. It also has the new fully functional dual-snorkel hood. The left snorkel goes straight into the induction system and allows the engine to give the extra 10 hp. and reduce engine temperature by 4 degrees Fahrenheit. Although it does not have the Demon's Drag mode suspension tuning for weight transfer or TransBrake, it does have line lock and 6-piston Brembo brakes up front.

·
Registered
2016 Scat Pack Shaker
586 Posts
Damn Cuda 340, You do one hell of a commercial. I want the Wide Body Red Eye even more now:smile:

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone for the replies.
However, no one answered the question of 1/10 of a second in the 1/4 mile. How far ahead is the quicker car?

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
Probably around half a second quicker
umm. no. not a half second quicker.
numbers shown from several sources, including fca, car n driver, road n track, etc, a 1/10th difference between the two cars, body styles being the same (narrow or wide).

yes, 1/10th in most cases is equal to about a car length, or just a little less.

copy from C&R> "Dodge projects that the Widebody models will be 0.3 second quicker to reach the quarter-mile mark than their narrow-body counterparts, saying the Redeye Widebody will do it at 10.8 seconds at 131 mph, followed by the standard Hellcat Widebody at 10.9 seconds at 127 mph.
It quotes quarter-mile runs for the standard-width Hellcat Redeye and Hellcat models at 11.1 seconds at 131 mph and 11.2 at 125. Top-speed claims are 195 mph for the Hellcat Widebody, 199 mph for the narrow-body model, and 203 mph for both Redeye variants"

>>https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a21971714/trickle-down-demonomics-2019-dodge-challenger-srt-hellcat-srt-hellcat-redeye-official-photos-and-info/

>>https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/future-cars/a21969756/2019-dodge-challenger-hellcat-redeye-horsepower-specs-pictures-info/

·
Registered
975 Posts
If you have to ask this question. You probably shouldn't buy either car yet.

It seems clear that you haven't really thought hard enough about what you want in your new car and where the priorities for YOU will be found in each available model.

I can't speak to what the "correct choice" is for the OP......but if it were me?

If my goal was the ultimate Challenger available for the bragging rights I'd almost certainly pick the Red Eye. Also if I saw myself at the drag strip more than just a few weekends each summer.....again it's the Red Eye.

The Standard Hell Cat is more power than street tires can handle but for the guy who wants the ULTIMATE Challenger and is willing to pay more than I think a Challenger is ever worth vs better choices else where.......The Red Eye is the NEW Top Dog. You don't get those bragging rights or Top Dog Status with a standard issue Hell Cat anymore.

I see my car as a CAR for the street. I don't see it as a Drag Racer or something that suggests anything about my status or bragging rights.....(I really like my Challenger but it is a Dodge not a Ferrari)...... so the Red Eye isn't a car I'd likely ever buy..... but I do understand some people want their bragging rights even if it is just among their fellow Dodge enthusiasts and today you gotta have that little angry cat emblem with the red eye or you come up "short".

·
Registered
975 Posts
Thanks everyone for the replies.
However, no one answered the question of 1/10 of a second in the 1/4 mile. How far ahead is the quicker car?
Probably more than "how much quicker" you should be asking:

What do I get for the extra cash spent that makes the Red Eye more consistent and less likely to BREAK?

I'm not sure how much Demon Content the Red Eye gets vs the 717HP Hell Cat......... but for the extra cash you do get some Demon pieces I'd expect might be worth it........or maybe not because you may not see enough benefit for your intended use for the car after you take it home.

797HP vs 717HP isn't going to make a whole lot of difference on the Street.......NOBODY makes a street tire that can contain either power level from a standing start. But at the Drag Strip ......... where is the difference and is it worth the extra dollars spent.

If you're TRULY looking for Bang For the Buck and NOT Bragging Rights........ you probably want specific answers that are out there in a detailed break down of what a Red Eye "gets" from the Demon that a standard Hell Cat doesn't.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Ok sorry not have a second 0.3 whatever real world i just rounded up to half a second

But the second you put real slicks on the hellcat you close the gap

·
Registered
3 Posts
But the second you put real slicks on the hellcat you close the gap

Exactly! On my 2016 Hellcat, with standard tires, the traction was so bad I refused to take the car to the strip. Enter 305/20 Mickey ET street SS tires on replica rims and on one day with great weather I was able to make several 10.76-10.79 passes, totally bone stock except for the drag radials.

The same thing goes for my Red Eye. I will mount 305/17 Mickey ET street SS (my next purchase will be Mickey ET street R's) and see what happens.

·
Registered
33 Posts
You are getting hung up on the ET; look at the trap speed difference(127 vs 131mph) between regular Hellcat and Red Eye; that says a lot. The extra power is going to come in after 60 mph. Traction is the main factor for ET. If that is equal between the cars you will see more than .1 difference. I would say more on the order of .3/.4. That being said on the street with the power these cars are making you aren't going to see a big difference because there are few places you could safely take them to higher speeds. I bought a Wide Body Red Eye for it's top dog status(at least for now anyway) and to use at the track for some fun now and then. I also have a '71 440 6 pack car and it is neat to have the 2. Money is also a deciding factor. For me I figured I was already spending over 70K so I got exactly what I wanted but I happened to be in a situation where I could afford it. I have had a few Challengers; started with a 2013 RT 6 spd and moved to a 2016 Scat Pack 8 spd now at the 2019 Red Eye. The Red Eye definitely does it for me so even if a higher HP car comes out I am completely happy with this car, no plans to upgrade any further. Whatever you decide make sure it's what you really want or you will "what if" yourself later; that is the only wrong choice as the cars are all nice.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I agree with @1971Chall as trap speed ultimately will show what HP difference is gains/loss ect. I have ran my tube chassis '70 R/T since 2003 and have had three different motors in and out of it and different variations of those motors at the end of the day with a car like mine I can see the 60' change very little were as the mph gain can be significant my 650 hp motor is good for 9.60's at 138, drop my 800 hp motor in and same wind conditions I am 9.0's at 148 and 60 foot is 1.27-28 with smaller motor and 1.22 or .23 with big, on occasion if I do experience spin and that 1.23 60' goes to 1.27 and ET follows with .15 slow the mph is still there never more than 1/2 mile off given same wind conditions.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Only because, in my opinion, this is the most BADASS looking production car EVER!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts