Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,524 Posts
I can't give you an estimate, but it will be VERY expensive. It's not only the cost of the bolt on parts- it's engine durability.

The problem with with an engine having 707 hp and 650 lb/ft/ torque is its ability to handle all of that power and not break down. When the SRT engineers built the the 6.2 Hemi, it had to upgrade 91% of the 6.4's engine parts. As one example, the increased peak cylinder pressure required forged, high-strength alloy pistons with piston pins using diamond-like-carbon coating.

·
Premium Member
138 Posts
From firsthand experience..... What he said.

My car is currently at 664 WHP which is more than what the Hellcat is at the wheels, but to get your car up to that power level there are other costly upgrades that must be done as well. Such as Axle shafts, Driveshaft, forged pistons, and maybe even a little transmission work. My goal is to be faster than the 8 speed Auto hellcat, but I'm still waiting on my driveline parts before I take it to the track.

Reactions: ghostrt

·
Premium Member
2011, Mean Green Machine
2,051 Posts
About $20K.... and like others have said you'll probably be breaking sH!t. Won't have an A8, upgraded Brembos, axles etc.......... Cuda340 gives a pretty good breakdown above. I was just about to pull the trigger and go with a Whipple SC, forged drop in pistons and rods, upgraded fuel system, CAI, tuner, tune and a few other upgrades. Hellcat changed all that. NOW I'm looking forward to 2016. A Hellcat is definitely in my future.............. :5:

Reactions: ghostrt

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
Price this out and that's how much you will need.......

Forged rotating assy or forged short block
Blower (whatever one you like. :) )
Upgraded trans and converter
Drive shaft
Rear axles that wont snap like a twig
Possible rear diff, if you want bulletproof
Full exhaust
Drag wheels and tires
Custom tune on that *****

Plus some misc parts and pieces with LABOR if you don't do it yourself. That's alota cashola!!!!

·
Registered
209 Posts
My car is in the shop as we speak. 2013 challenger srt8
It's getting the following

Forged rotating assembly - 3800
Magnuson super charger 8000
McLeod rxt clutch - 1400
Fuel pump 500
Kooks long tube headers- 1200
Kooks off road mid pipes- 600
Corsa cat back xtreme- 1300
80 pound fuel injectors 600
Afr gauge, boost gauge - 400
Arp head and crank bolts 500
Cometic head gaskets 400
Other gaskets 200
Mopar Cai 300

I'm sure there's some parts I bought that I'm forgetting but that's approximate prices off the top of my head of parts I had to get. That's not counting labor yet. I was gonna do all the work myself I know how to do the supercharger and do the motor work but I no longer have a lift and the motor
Needs to come out the bottom. So I took it to the shop.

In a few months it will be getting upgraded axles and all poly bushings and rear end suspension upgrades.

·
Premium Member
2011, Mean Green Machine
2,051 Posts
"Don't forget to factor in resale value.

Hellcat Resale = very high.

Modded resale = disgustingly low"

Damn good point....something I never even considered.

·
Premium Member
2011, Mean Green Machine
2,051 Posts
My car is in the shop as we speak. 2013 challenger srt8
It's getting the following

Forged rotating assembly - 3800
Magnuson super charger 8000
McLeod rxt clutch - 1400
Fuel pump 500
Kooks long tube headers- 1200
Kooks off road mid pipes- 600
Corsa cat back xtreme- 1300
80 pound fuel injectors 600
Afr gauge, boost gauge - 400
Arp head and crank bolts 500
Cometic head gaskets 400
Other gaskets 200
Mopar Cai 300

I'm sure there's some parts I bought that I'm forgetting but that's approximate prices off the top of my head of parts I had to get. That's not counting labor yet. I was gonna do all the work myself I know how to do the supercharger and do the motor work but I no longer have a lift and the motor
Needs to come out the bottom. So I took it to the shop.

In a few months it will be getting upgraded axles and all poly bushings and rear end suspension upgrades.
Added up thats $19,200 in just parts and probably $4000-$5000 in labor....maybe more.......just sayin.

BTW Goten good luck with your build............ :5:

·
Premium Member
311 Posts
Plus no warrenty, or the nicer interior, better brakes, etc.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I had considered the value diminishing and decided i don't plan to get rid of this car.

If I had considered a hell cat id take a loss on trade then tack that onto the cost of the hell cat.

Also don't personally care for the hood on the hell cat.

So this route was the decision I made.

Good or bad it's done now :)

·
Registered
209 Posts
As far as the interior I don't know. I could take it or leave it. I always felt happy with my current interior. More of an opinion thing thoigh.

Your right on the brakes the better ones would be nice:)

anyways not trying to make a big debate as to what's better . Just trying to give an idea of what I've spent so far on the 392:)

·
Registered
‘13 Challenger SRT 6M
2,816 Posts
Just the cooling system alone on a Hellcat is very intricate. To run over 11 PSI on a DD with heat, AC, and all the creature comforts is astounding to me. Then on top of it, 707/650!!!! I wouldn't want to go through the trouble to make my 392 a Hellcat.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Yes, any way you slice it, hard for a DIY supercharger to compete with the Hellcat on bang for the buck once you factor in drive train upgrades / reliability.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
My kenne bell was around 7k installed w/ 80lb injectors and colder plugs with two tunes. One for e85. My cam and header install + parts 3700. 426 short block, clutch, gaskets and bolts 6200. I think arrington charges 1500 for install and tune so 18400 ballpark. Now put that in a 38k 392 core or even a used 6.1 and your well below hellcat price. But obviously that doesn't include your drive line of axles ds etc.

Thats a hellcat killer. Either make it your own. Or buy what someone else designed.

And think about this. That hellcats right n the middle. You cant get that power with a sc'er alone without going the whole forged route. And if you go that way. You mine as well push it to 800whp

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
The most important thing that people don't consider when comparing a build vs factory is durability. In addition to this, most folks just mod the engine and leave all the other parts of the car.

·
Registered
2019 Dodge Challenger 392
1,536 Posts
Not to change the topic too much, but what's the highest NA horsepower someone could reasonably get out of the 392?
About 600hp at the motor, 502whp is all I could manage on pump gas.

CAI, 90mm tb, ported stock intake, 274 comp cam, ported heads, ARH long tube headers ceramic coated, race mids with no cats, Flowmaster cat back.

Reactions: Geno22
1 - 20 of 53 Posts