Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! Long time lurker, first time posting! I have a 2015 Scat Pack with the manual transmission and unfortunately the motor blew, so I went and picked up a Hellcat motor/supercharger. I just have a few questions about doing this swap:
1. I am dead-set on keeping the manual tranny, will it mate up to the hellcat motor? will I need anything in particular to make this work?
2. in regards to physically installing the motor: trans mounts, motor mounts, anything else physically impeding the motor from sitting in the engine bay? Will I need hellcat mounts or will the current mounts work?
3. in regards to accessory components: power steering pump, a/c compressor, etc. Do I need the hellcat ones or are the ones that came with the scat pack fine?
4. in regards to wiring: Do I need a hellcat chassis wiring harness?.. or can I use the scat pack chassis wiring harness and connect it to the hellcat engine wiring harness? if I can do the latter, how do they connect?
5. In regards to cooling: I know that the Hellcat front bumper has spaces for the engine oil cooler and the supercharger intercoolers where the fog lights would be on my scat pack. Aside from this, are there any other cooling components that I will need to get? Also, will I need a hellcat radiator or will the current scat pack one do the job?
6. in regards to brakes: do I need brakes directly off a hellcat? or are the scat pack brakes acceptable?
7. in regards to suspension: what upgrades will I need to hold the extra power, if any?
8. what kind of rear differential will I need?

·
Premium Member
2,590 Posts
I know the HC gets a bigger clutch from the factory.
Not sure if the Scat manual is up to it.

·
Premium Member
2011 R/T 6M Bright White, 590whp 490wtq, Whipple 10psi, 274 cam, 1 7/8 LT headers, 429 gears
1,207 Posts
Hello everyone! Long time lurker, first time posting! I have a 2015 Scat Pack with the manual transmission and unfortunately the motor blew, so I went and picked up a Hellcat motor/supercharger. I just have a few questions about doing this swap:
1. I am dead-set on keeping the manual tranny, will it mate up to the hellcat motor? will I need anything in particular to make this work?
2. in regards to physically installing the motor: trans mounts, motor mounts, anything else physically impeding the motor from sitting in the engine bay? Will I need hellcat mounts or will the current mounts work?
3. in regards to accessory components: power steering pump, a/c compressor, etc. Do I need the hellcat ones or are the ones that came with the scat pack fine?
4. in regards to wiring: Do I need a hellcat chassis wiring harness?.. or can I use the scat pack chassis wiring harness and connect it to the hellcat engine wiring harness? if I can do the latter, how do they connect?
5. In regards to cooling: I know that the Hellcat front bumper has spaces for the engine oil cooler and the supercharger intercoolers where the fog lights would be on my scat pack. Aside from this, are there any other cooling components that I will need to get? Also, will I need a hellcat radiator or will the current scat pack one do the job?
6. in regards to brakes: do I need brakes directly off a hellcat? or are the scat pack brakes acceptable?
7. in regards to suspension: what upgrades will I need to hold the extra power, if any?
Steve White Motors offers a complete package for the engine swap.
Recommend a clutch upgrade
Rear diff brace
Rear axles
probably good to do the driveshaft as well
you should be good with your existing Brembo setup

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Steve White Motors offers a complete package for the engine swap.
Recommend a clutch upgrade
Rear diff brace
Rear axles
probably good to do the driveshaft as well
you should be good with your existing Brembo setup
Any recommendations as far as brands for these parts you listed?

·
Premium Member
2,590 Posts
That is ridiculous money to spend.
But that includes the engine right?
He already has that part. Just needs the interfacing parts.

Reactions: Loopy

·
Registered
73 Posts
I think that the Tremec in the Hellcats has a higher power handling rating. I think at a minimum you would need a higher capacity clutch. I think the brakes on your Scat Pack would be 4-piston Brembos (at least that is the current Scat Pack setup). The Hellcats, SRT392, and SPWB's have SRT Brembo 6-piston brakes. Not saying that you have to have them, but just so you are aware that they do upgrade the front brakes on those vehicles.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
I would suggest the front fascia as well. You'll lose your foglights. The Hellcat has the oil cooler and other heat exchangers basically filling up the space behind those fascia grilles.

·
Registered
2018 Challenger R/T 392 6 speed manual
247 Posts
It sounds like this is what you want to do and I won’t be a detractor. But... since you already bought the HC motor, I’d pose a question for an alternative build and let others weigh in. The HC motor really only gets you half way to where you want to be where you need to upgrade the transmission or at least clutch, driveshaft and probably the axels plus all the additional cooling upfront. Not mentioning the brakes...

What if you took that motor, pulled the SC and kept the bottom end but swapped in an appropriate cam and intake to keep it NA? Why? No additional mods would be required since you would be looking to build power on the top end due to the short stroke. So, the goal would be something like 550 HP at the crank at something like 6500 rpm but obviously the torque wouldn’t match the 6.4. You could sell the SC to pay for a lot of the parts. I’m assuming money is a factor to some degree otherwise you would have either bought a new SP or a HC.

Anyway, not saying you should do this or that it’s even a good idea, but I would be curious what this type of a setup would run like. Maybe someone has done it and can offer their experience. It would be a stout bottom end in a NA setup.

·
Registered
2011 SXT Built in the Canada Plant
1,698 Posts
Steve White has a Wire Harness for the Swap that you will need for the Bypass and yes it needs some mods for the additional Air it will need.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Good luck on your project, should be challenging but fun. What happened that you blew the 392 in your Scat Pack?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Good luck on your project, should be challenging but fun. What happened that you blew the 392 in your Scat Pack?
Seems as if the previous owner was neglecting her a bit too much.. oh well. This project will be extremely challenging but even more rewarding in the end. I got the hellcat motor with the supercharger for a great deal, so I figured why not go for it.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Hellcat motors are not a really popular swap just because of all the expensive accessories it takes to run the thing. Trying to buy all those things new will add up quick so you may have to get a little creative. You may consider buying a completely wrecked hellcat and swapping everything over just a thought! Keep posting I’d like to see how it turns out.

·
Premium Member
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy
4,081 Posts

Attachments

·
Vendor
13,065 Posts
What are praminators, and how are they pre-determined?
View attachment 1024072
our apologies, a complicated algorithm with proprietary design, a great deal of testing and r&d has been done in order to accomplish the ultimate result

Bigred has been one of the test bed for this device and the results speak for themselves, the car runs and drive like a Hellcat or Redeye with no quirks, surging or any other drivability issue

throttle application is smooth and efficient; and when your road racing throttle control is everything

this current system is the 3rd generation of this device and has been tested on my race car for well over 2 years

·
Premium Member
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy
4,081 Posts
our apologies, a complicated algorithm with proprietary design, a great deal of testing and r&d has been done in order to accomplish the ultimate result

Bigred has been one of the test bed for this device and the results speak for themselves, the car runs and drive like a Hellcat or Redeye with no quirks, surging or any other drivability issue

throttle application is smooth and efficient; and when your road racing throttle control is everything

this current system is the 3rd generation of this device and has been tested on my race car for well over 2 years
I wasn't commenting on the item or how it was designed to work.
You missed my point, I have never heard of "praminators" I assumed your site meant to say "parameters" and the other word is a typo. IF that is a real word, I learned something new today. That makes 1 in a row.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
you will need this, biggest part of the puzzle

Thanks for the info and link. Another question for you: Do I need a hellcat chassis wiring harness?.. or can I use the scat pack chassis wiring harness and connect it to the hellcat engine wiring harness? if I can do the latter, how do they connect?

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
24,865 Posts

"per-determined perimeters"

Pre-Determined parameters (sorry Luke, the smart @ss in me couldn't resist ;) )

A Guy

1 - 20 of 34 Posts