Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How come the big difference between the 2015 Hellcat’s sway bars and the 2009 SRT8’s?

Hellcat:
Front – 34mm
Rear – 22mm

SRT8:
Front – 30mm
Rear – 15mm

The Hellcat is ~300lbs heavier, is this enough to account for the larger sway bars?

I’m planning to run autocross this year and am wondering if the bars would be too stiff for my 2009 SRT8?

I have RideTech coilovers installed and have purchased adjustable end links, but the end links aren’t installed yet.

Not sure if I should purchase polyurethane bushings for my OEM sway bars and install the adjustable end links first to see where I’m at, or just install the Hellcat sway bars and adjustable end links. Yes, I made an impulse buy on the Hellcat sway bars :>)

Any feedback from those with autocross experience would be appreciated.

·
Registered
9,456 Posts
30mm front? Are you sure about that because my 2012 SRT8 came with 26mm front and 16mm rear. I switched to the Pettys Garage sway bars and shaved about 2 seconds off my best lap time at the Streets of Willow just by upgrading the sway bars.
Since you can’t install the Pettys rear bar due to you have those coilovers I’d get the Pettys front sway bar.
I doubt the aftermarket polyurethane bushings will fit the hellcat bar perfectly. That was my experience with the rear hellcat bar that I had to install because of my RT coilovers. I ordered the 22mm whiteline polyurethane bushings and the bar would easily slide side to side. I had to install a set of lateral locks.

·
Vendor
12,268 Posts
Challengers are big heavy cars, very nose heavy, go to the bigger bars.... strut braces and frame connectors are also critical.....
Luke

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
30mm front? Are you sure about that because my 2012 SRT8 came with 26mm front and 16mm rear. I switched to the Pettys Garage sway bars and shaved about 2 seconds off my best lap time at the Streets of Willow just by upgrading the sway bars.
Since you can’t install the Pettys rear bar due to you have those coilovers I’d get the Pettys front sway bar.
I doubt the aftermarket polyurethane bushings will fit the hellcat bar perfectly. That was my experience with the rear hellcat bar that I had to install because of my RT coilovers. I ordered the 22mm whiteline polyurethane bushings and the bar would easily slide side to side. I had to install a set of lateral locks.
Hey Vic,

I haven't verified my front sway bar size, but my google search comes up with 30mm.

I'm thinking about putting polyurethane bushing on my OEM sway bars before installing the Hellcat sway bars. BTW, I can't find polyurethane bushings for the Hellcat sway bars.

I'll have think about the rear Pettys bar, I went with the Hellcat front and rear with the thinking they are "tuned" versus going with a mix match set, but I don't have any experience with this either.

Joe

·
Registered
9,456 Posts
Joe I pulled up the specs from FCA. I used to have a copy but can’t seem to find it anymore. But I’m positive on the sizes.
You’ll have to order the bushings by size if you want to keep the hellcat bar. I think it’ll be ok since the front bar has no room to slide.
I’ll give you an example. The rear bar from Pettys and the hellcat side by side comparison in size. Both supposedly 22mm but the hellcat bar measured a little less.

I guess you’ll have to order the bushings to see.

·
Super Moderator
15,388 Posts
The early years '08 - '10
30mm / 16mm

'11 bumped it up a bit larger. SRT and R/T STP added larger bars over other trim lines

'15+ bar sizes increased a bit more and the HC versions are tad larger over SRT 392.

The larger bar on the front is going to have a big impact on body lean. The early years were tuned very soft - especially R/T models.

·
Vendor
12,268 Posts
if your going to compete in a more aggressive way dont waste your money on cheap coil overs, go big, the biggest difference we did was to go to Ultimate Performance and JRI coil overs, 30 way adjustable rebound and compression , went from being an ok mid pack car to a top 5 car competing against Camaros and Mustangs, if your going to play with the big boys do not go cheap
Luke

1 - 10 of 10 Posts