Dodge Challenger Forum banner

61 - 80 of 123 Posts

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
For different reasons I like the scatpack over the hellcat. I think the scatpack will fair better over the course of ten years than the hellcat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes I agree. Less complications less problems. With that supercharger you get more heat and another heat source. More involved to keep everything running cool. When it goes it will cost more $$ too.

Not scared. One can get just as dead in a 485hp car as he can in a 707hp car. (Actually I was more a automotive hooligan in my MINI JCW (228hp) than I was in my Hellcat (707hp).)

Just not able to use all that power. Like walking out of the house every morning with some big old honking 150mm howitzer. You know you can blow the you know what out of anything you want but the opportunity never presents itself. After a while one gets to thinking what's point of the howitzer when something smaller will suffice?

Decided to "cash" out of my Hellcat while it had some warranty left. Ended up with a nice 2020 Scat Pack a less powerful car sure but one that the power is more usable and the car more enjoyable for it. And banked $3000 check from the dealer.

With the Scat Pack I lost the supercharger. Its drive system. The charge cooler cooling system. The A8. The NAV (which went bad on me once already).

What did I gain? Well, a much "simpler" car. Naturally aspirated. No NAV. 6-speed manual instead of the A8. Lighter weight. Lost the bulging hood. And yet the car is still plenty fast. No it won't beat a Hellcat but I don't race Hellcats or any other cars for that matter, so I don't care.

With the Hellcat it got to the point I drove it just to keep the battery topped up and to give the car/engine some use.

With the Scat Pack the only thing that keeps me from using the car is:

View attachment 1010898
Would you suggest not getting the factory navigation option? I would prefer the external GPS systems like Garmin or Tom Tom not that they are that great but when something goes wrong you just unplug that unit and buy another one or not. Point being you can just disconnect it and dispose of it without interfering with the rest of the car's system being that it is not built into system. How about the stereo system any problems with that? I don't know which system you have the Harmon Kardon 18 speaker or the Alpine system.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Yes you are correct that the cars navigation can be unpredictable and a pain if it breaks but some have said that it does improve the radios sound for some reason plus it comes with Sirius XM for 5 years. I do like the huge screen for NAV and voice feed back.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I agree but those that downgrade from a Hellcat is because they are losing their nerve. The power scares them! which is totally understandable. 700+hp in your car is a hell of a package too handle but very doable, commonsense included.
You’re probably right. My challenger is a WB Scatpack. 2020. Honestly, I have never even been behind the wheel of a hellcat

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
You’re probably right. My challenger is a WB Scatpack. 2020. Honestly, I have never even been behind the wheel of a hellcat

Which mudguards or rockguards did you have installed on fenders to protect against rock chips that SPWB kicks up against body from wider tires?

Yes you are correct that the cars navigation can be unpredictable and a pain if it breaks but some have said that it does improve the radios sound for some reason plus it comes with Sirius XM for 5 years. I do like the huge screen for NAV and voice feed back.
From what I have seen on the factory ordering form is the screens are the same. (correct me if i'm wrong on that) But I'm sure on it. It's the same informant system with or without NAV option. So if you leave the Nav. option out you don't loose anything other than less $$$ for that option. Personally I will leave Nav. option off and add the 18 speaker Harmon Kardon stereo and still get the Sirus or satellite feature.

·
Registered
436 Posts
From what I have seen on the factory ordering form is the screens are the same. (correct me if i'm wrong on that) But I'm sure on it. It's the same informant system with or without NAV option. So if you leave the Nav. option out you don't loose anything other than less $$$ for that option. Personally I will leave Nav. option off and add the 18 speaker Harmon Kardon stereo and still get the Sirus or satellite feature.
This is exactly the route I would take.

·
Registered
28 Posts
For me, being totally honest. If price paid absolutely no concern, I’d absolutely have to go with a WB HC. I’d go with a WB over a Shaker any day. I’m sure that no one here disagrees with me. Lololol. The only caveat might be if the herseperse of the HC gets the best of me. That’s a nice way of saying that power might show me to be less of a man than I think. I don’t think so but then I haven’t strapped on with almost 800 hrspwr. I might love it and I might park it.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
For me, being totally honest. If price paid absolutely no concern, I’d absolutely have to go with a WB HC. I’d go with a WB over a Shaker any day. I’m sure that no one here disagrees with me. Lololol. The only caveat might be if the herseperse of the HC gets the best of me. That’s a nice way of saying that power might show me to be less of a man than I think. I don’t think so but then I haven’t strapped on with almost 800 hrspwr. I might love it and I might park it.

What is it with the "shaker" option? I don't see that many Challengers with this option? Cosmetically it looks the best. Is it the cost as an option $2,200+? For me I much prefer the other hood which is standard not extra cost and fully functional with center ram air and 2 heat extractors. Plus I don't want to have to remove that shaker (gets in the way) when I do an oil change. The WB option is definitely fully functional option.

·
Registered
2019 Hellcat
210 Posts
I think the scatpack will fair better over the course of ten years than the hellcat.

Yes I agree. Less complications less problems. With that supercharger you get more heat and another heat source. More involved to keep everything running cool. When it goes it will cost more $$ too.
You're probably right but there is there is a owner that has a hellcat with 130,000 miles on a 2016 cat and has had no major problems; GTO (gas tires and oil) I'm pretty sure most people thought about that too prior to buying a Hellcat, expensive toys have expensive maintenance bills but if people are concerned about that maybe they shouldn't buy one.

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
3,410 Posts

Would you suggest not getting the factory navigation option? I would prefer the external GPS systems like Garmin or Tom Tom not that they are that great but when something goes wrong you just unplug that unit and buy another one or not. Point being you can just disconnect it and dispose of it without interfering with the rest of the car's system being that it is not built into system. How about the stereo system any problems with that? I don't know which system you have the Harmon Kardon 18 speaker or the Alpine system.
My inclination is to avoid getting any more electronics in a car that is absolutely necessary. This includes NAV and fancy smacy stereos/sound systems. Both my Hellcat and Scat Pack came with the HK system but I never listened to the radio in either car, never activated that Sirius stuff. Have never paired my cell phone with my car, etc.

The Hellcat came with NAV. My first car with NAV "built in". Well, check that. My 2018 Scat Pack I had for 2 months prior to getting a Hellcat came with NAV.

With previous cars for NAV I bought some aftermarket/portable NAV system and after the 1st one made sure to buy the 2nd one with life time maps "feature". I admit I did use the NAV system in the Hellcat. But it was not a very good system. And the map data had some glaring errors, old map data.

The problem with car NAV systems is by the time they appear in the car they are "old".

My Scat Pack as I mentioned has no NAV. One of these days I'll get an aftermarket NAV system for it. This area is unfamiliar to me and a NAV would prove useful.

For different reasons I like the scatpack over the hellcat. I think the scatpack will fair better over the course of ten years than the hellcat.

Think my Scat Pack will fare better over the years I own it vs. the Hellcat. The Scat Pack being less complex can only help in this regard.

·
Registered
2011 gwe srt
509 Posts

if driven sanely id have to say just the opposite. the hellcat is beef up and stronger in many areas of the drivetrain. Engine, transmission, rear end drive shafts half shafts ect. 392s have pistol weakness issues and valve train issues the hellcat doesnt. Hell cat make so much power that few see there foot on the floor daily because you about can on the street so its seldom seeing high rpms where the 5.7s and 6.4s tend to be used.

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
3,410 Posts
You're probably right but there is there is a owner that has a hellcat with 130,000 miles on a 2016 cat and has had no major problems; GTO (gas tires and oil) I'm pretty sure most people thought about that too prior to buying a Hellcat, expensive toys have expensive maintenance bills but if people are concerned about that maybe they shouldn't buy one.
There are always exceptions. I got sort of "burned" from owning another complex car. My experience was not the same as others who owned a similar car and managed in a couple of cases nearly 3x the miles I managed (160K+) with very few issues.

Back in late 2017 when I pretty much decided on a Challenger -- to get back to a simpler car and away from the German sports car I had been driving since 2002 -- my research indicated the Scat Pack the best model for me.

And I bought one. And liked the car.

Then long story short I decided I had to have a Hellcat. Kind of tossed all my research out the window and went with a more complex car.

Part of me figured lightning couldn't strike twice. But the +paddle shift issue then the NAV issue with the car kind of opened my eyes. Then I left CA for Benton County AR. This is a very nice area to be sure but the roads are just not quite as expansive as they were in CA. The Hellcat felt out of place like a Gulliver in among the Lilliputians.

There are a number of fine roads to enjoy beginning just a mile or two from where I live. The Hellcat felt like a duck out of water on them. By comparison the Scat Pack feels nearly as home on these roads as did my Porsche Boxster way back in 2002 when I came through here.

Had I remained in CA I might have kept the Hellcat. It felt more at home there.

But I didn't remain in CA. (After waking up several times to several inches of fresh snow on the ground I considered (albeit it briefly) going back to CA.)

The Scat Pack is proving to be the more enjoyable car for me. I wasn't afraid of the Hellcat. The Hellcat as has been the case with every other car I've owned only does what my right foot tells it to do and I'm quite capable of controlling my right foot. I've driven a number of cars before the Hellcat all (obviously) with less power but some with considerable power that if not used properly could have easily killed me. I managed to survive and yet I enjoyed the cars very much.

if driven sanely id have to say just the opposite. the hellcat is beef up and stronger in many areas of the drivetrain. Engine, transmission, rear end drive shafts half shafts ect. 392s have pistol weakness issues and valve train issues the hellcat doesnt. Hell cat make so much power that few see there foot on the floor daily because you about can on the street so its seldom seeing high rpms where the 5.7s and 6.4s tend to be used.
To some extent I agree with you. A engine designed to produce 707hp and a car designed to deal with this level of HP has considerable margin that should have fewer issues from things breaking.

I'm not so worried about breaking axles or breaking pistons. As with my Hellcat -- and my previous cars -- same with the Scat Pack. It won't see WOT that often. While it has "only" 485hp that's plenty of power if unleashed for any length of time can have the car traveling faster than what is legal and "safe".

But parts will wear out nonetheless.

In all my years and miles I've never had a engine fail, a manual transmission fail, never had a half shaft or drive shaft fail (other than after a dealer installed new CV joints one prematurely failed).

But the Hellcat has other systems that just had me a bit worried about how these would handle the miles and time.

·
Registered
2011 gwe srt
509 Posts
only real failure item the hellcat has the the srt doesnt is the supercharger. After the initial problems with them they seem to have it sorted out. People have got a 100k or more out of them. To be honest if i bought a new hellcat today or a low mile used one it wouldnt see a 100k before they planted me in the ground. To many other toys and at 65 i dont have alot of hellcat years left in me.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
There are always exceptions. I got sort of "burned" from owning another complex car. My experience was not the same as others who owned a similar car and managed in a couple of cases nearly 3x the miles I managed (160K+) with very few issues.

Back in late 2017 when I pretty much decided on a Challenger -- to get back to a simpler car and away from the German sports car I had been driving since 2002 -- my research indicated the Scat Pack the best model for me.

And I bought one. And liked the car.

Then long story short I decided I had to have a Hellcat. Kind of tossed all my research out the window and went with a more complex car.

Part of me figured lightning couldn't strike twice. But the +paddle shift issue then the NAV issue with the car kind of opened my eyes. Then I left CA for Benton County AR. This is a very nice area to be sure but the roads are just not quite as expansive as they were in CA. The Hellcat felt out of place like a Gulliver in among the Lilliputians.

There are a number of fine roads to enjoy beginning just a mile or two from where I live. The Hellcat felt like a duck out of water on them. By comparison the Scat Pack feels nearly as home on these roads as did my Porsche Boxster way back in 2002 when I came through here.

Had I remained in CA I might have kept the Hellcat. It felt more at home there.

But I didn't remain in CA. (After waking up several times to several inches of fresh snow on the ground I considered (albeit it briefly) going back to CA.)

The Scat Pack is proving to be the more enjoyable car for me. I wasn't afraid of the Hellcat. The Hellcat as has been the case with every other car I've owned only does what my right foot tells it to do and I'm quite capable of controlling my right foot. I've driven a number of cars before the Hellcat all (obviously) with less power but some with considerable power that if not used properly could have easily killed me. I managed to survive and yet I enjoyed the cars very much.

To some extent I agree with you. A engine designed to produce 707hp and a car designed to deal with this level of HP has considerable margin that should have fewer issues from things breaking.

I'm not so worried about breaking axles or breaking pistons. As with my Hellcat -- and my previous cars -- same with the Scat Pack. It won't see WOT that often. While it has "only" 485hp that's plenty of power if unleashed for any length of time can have the car traveling faster than what is legal and "safe".

But parts will wear out nonetheless.

In all my years and miles I've never had a engine fail, a manual transmission fail, never had a half shaft or drive shaft fail (other than after a dealer installed new CV joints one prematurely failed).

But the Hellcat has other systems that just had me a bit worried about how these would handle the miles and time.
The Challenger has CV joints like on a front wheel drive vehicle? :unsure:

·
Registered
2021 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker Widebody, 02 Pontiac Firehawk Car #33, 02 Pontiac Firehawk Car #155
162 Posts
To be honest I like the shape of the wide body's but in my opinion, they should have done it seamless. It looks like they just stuck fender flares on with 3m double sided tape, with no body filler, I mean you can see the gap.
Otherwise, I would be all in.
Think Porsche 930 turbo seamless not double sided taped on.
Hey its just my opinion!
Oh yeah the extra 200 + hp :unsure:
Maybe that is in the 2023 redesign plans? Is so, I will probably trade in the new WB I am waiting on. I agree the seam is not ideal but I wanted the wide wheels/tires.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Maybe that is in the 2023 redesign plans? Is so, I will probably trade in the new WB I am waiting on. I agree the seam is not ideal but I wanted the wide wheels/tires.
You will take a BIG hit in depreciation if you do a trade in or get rid of the Challenger you are waiting on for a 2023 purchase . That's the thing I wish those wide flares were blended into challenger car body like Corvette and not with the tack on look like those toytota tacoma trucks. But to me it's more of an performance necessity than cosmetics. Hopefully by 2022 and above maybe they will blend those fender flares into body for appearance?

·
Registered
2021 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker Widebody, 02 Pontiac Firehawk Car #33, 02 Pontiac Firehawk Car #155
162 Posts
You will take a BIG hit in depreciation if you do a trade in or get rid of the Challenger you are waiting on for a 2023 purchase . That's the thing I wish those wide flares were blended into challenger car body like Corvette and not with the tack on look like those toytota tacoma trucks. But to me it's more of an performance necessity than cosmetics. Hopefully by 2022 and above maybe they will blend those fender flares into body for appearance?
You are correct. I plan on not running up the odometer and I keep my cars in very good condition. Actually, I am a little OCD about it so a private sell would make more sense but it will still be painful. Have to wait and see what they come out with. Life is too short....

·
Registered
6 Posts
i just made the choice to pick up a wb scat over a hellcat, i think id be more apt to drive the scat and not just have a garage queen. they are also reported to handle better and certainly can put their power to the ground better than the big cat.
To each their own but i like the wb and the wider tires it affords along with the factory shaker hood, and there are ways to change the oil without removing the shaker so that is of no concern. The hardest part was giving up the 200 hp but in reality how many times was i going to be able to use it? After driving both the scat just made more sense, now if i already had a hellcat im not sure i'd be able to go back,as i doubt the trade and cash out will be that favorable.

good luck
pete

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
You are correct. I plan on not running up the odometer and I keep my cars in very good condition. Actually, I am a little OCD about it so a private sell would make more sense but it will still be painful. Have to wait and see what they come out with. Life is too short....
This is true life is too short. (y) Wish we had a crystal ball or something that could use like the meteorologist use to predict weather.

i just made the choice to pick up a wb scat over a hellcat, i think id be more apt to drive the scat and not just have a garage queen. they are also reported to handle better and certainly can put their power to the ground better than the big cat.
To each their own but i like the wb and the wider tires it affords along with the factory shaker hood, and there are ways to change the oil without removing the shaker so that is of no concern. The hardest part was giving up the 200 hp but in reality how many times was i going to be able to use it? After driving both the scat just made more sense, now if i already had a hellcat im not sure i'd be able to go back,as i doubt the trade and cash out will be that favorable.

good luck
pete
Well you will save yourself some insurance $$$ if that means anything. Yes may have avoided a few collisions too as I hear of people who get a Hellcat and lose it for some reason after picking up car and totaling it. I have also heard that the SPWB is faster than the supercharged cars in a road course. But we know the Challenger isn't that type of car. It's a cruiser and my primary reason for that WB option is to get that power to the ground safely and perhaps it will help in other daily driver uses in some way that I don't know of? :unsure:. I have heard that because of the wider tires it will burn more fuel than a non WB. Also wider tires have a tendency to hydroplane more in the rain. Those are just a few negatives. But this brute could use bigger tires and that is just the SPWB Challenger regular aspirated 485 HP non supercharger engine.
Also from my understanding unlike Corvette, Mustang we can still rotate all 4 tires with WB option? All the tires are of the same size which is great for maintenace of tires. That's how I look at things.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Well you will save yourself some insurance $$$ if that means anything. Yes may have avoided a few collisions too as I hear of people who get a Hellcat and lose it for some reason after picking up car and totaling it. I have also heard that the SPWB is faster than the supercharged cars in a road course. But we know the Challenger isn't that type of car. It's a cruiser and my primary reason for that WB option is to get that power to the ground safely and perhaps it will help in other daily driver uses in some way that I don't know of? :unsure:. I have heard that because of the wider tires it will burn more fuel than a non WB. Also wider tires have a tendency to hydroplane more in the rain. Those are just a few negatives. But this brute could use bigger tires and that is just the SPWB Challenger regular aspirated 485 HP non supercharger engine.
Also from my understanding unlike Corvette, Mustang we can still rotate all 4 tires with WB option? All the tires are of the same size which is great for maintenace of tires. That's how I look at things.
All good points. :cool:

61 - 80 of 123 Posts