Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A customer where I work pulled up in his Viper and I commented how great it was.He is the same guy that has a '70 Challenger R/T. He is a bit of a tool. I asked what he thought of the HellCat. He said Mopar needs to lessen the power because it's more then the Viper and it's going to hurt the sales. I said that maybe they should make the Viper a little cheaper and more comfortable to drive. He didn't have a response.

·
Premium Member
968 Posts
Hurt sales? That damage is already done... I think. Another Viper guy with his nose out of joint.....The Viper is rumored for another power increase...Viper nation should be happy happy happy with that....maybe.

Not surprising he was "concerned" being ousted in the Chrysler world. I always thought Dodge and SRT would never ever surpass the almighty Viper in the HP wars. But then again.....I owned a pick'em truck with the Gen 3 motor in it and they, Viper Nation had a pissy fits over that one. Too bad it was forever etched in the history of the Viper motor history that it served duty in trucks from 2004 thru 2006....

Long live the Challenger...suck it up boys, the Hell Kitty is a cometh.

Reactions: wasp392

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
This kind of response was expected from viper owners ever since there were "rumors" of the Hellcat packing 600+ horses. This topic was beaten to death in the 2015 Challenger thread ages ago.

·
Registered
9,272 Posts
no it's not too much HP...as long as they continuing to offer a wide range of engine and HP options for a variety of buyers and pocketbooks.
Dodge will further cement my intention to NOT buy Dodge again as soon as they try to niche the challenger into a high end buyers only market

·
Vendor
13,446 Posts
Vipers do not sell well.....and honestly if i won the lottery, the car isnt even in my top 50 to ever purchase.....have no desire to own one
Luke

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
I don't think it has much, if anything, to do with the fact that he drove a Viper. Some people are just jerks and it tends to be people with vehicles that are "Rare/exclusive". You see maybe one Viper to every 5 Corvettes, so there's your rarity and since they're uncommon, people often make a fuss when they see them. As a result, I can understand where Viper owners come off as snobbish. It's mostly because they love their cars and enjoy driving them but they HATE that they can't stop for coffee without someone bothering them about it. I had bouts with that when I got my 09 R/T and they were rare. Everyone wanted to ask me questions, at first it was cool but it does get old. Mostly because people start asking stupid questions or saying stupid things like "I bet you get a lot of tickets" or "I don't think that car's very comfortable" or "Is it paid for?"

I got tired of that very quickly.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Another car in the line up having too much power? How about the Viper team takes that as a challenge and innovate a solution. Internal competition never hurts.

·
Premium Member
1,959 Posts
There are a lot of snobs in the Viper world... There are a lot of cool guys in the Viper world... I had Vipers for many years, and as you guys know I am no snob. A lot of those guys have their nose out of shape with the 707hp, but the new Viper is still faster since it weighs a lot less and there is no way a Challenger can stick to a Viper on a track. So, there is really no reason for them to be upset.

They blew it with the Viper listening so closely to the Viper crowd. The design is dated, they did not beat the C6 Vette ZR-1 in hp, and it is waaayyyy overpriced. It did not garner much in new customers (if any) because of the stubbornness of SRT and the current owners. That car is a big mess IMO. They need to put the Hellcat in it, an automatic, and sell it for the low $80K's. There are a lot of solutions to Viper sales problem... We'll see if they ever figure it out...

As far as hp... Yea, it is probably too much for the everyday driver, but not too much for the experienced muscle-head as we have been modding our cars for years to perform at that level of hp... Also, I am betting even a Gen 3 Viper with 500 hp is still harder to handle than the Hellcat.

·
Registered
163 Posts
That sounds just like the Corvette/Camaro arguments back in the day when the bow tie started cramming big blocks into the Camaro. Who cares? More power in w/e is a good thing IMO.

·
Premium Member
11,828 Posts
Sure the Hellcat has more HP than the Viper, the Viper also has 1000 Lbs on the hellcat and a different suspension...not really the same thing.

707hp 4400 lb 4 seater will not hurt 640hp 3300 lb 2 seater sales. Pricing it out of the market will, and then dealers tack on 20-40k in markups.

·
Premium Member
7,328 Posts
Wait until the Viper gets the supercharger on the V10 engine. 1K HP? Who knows.

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
For EPA sake they should twin turbo the Viper. Not to mention that some bolt-ons and a boost controller would be 900hp.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I have never heard anyone complain about having too much horsepower.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts