Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2016 R/T Scat Pack
1,555 Posts
Those 340's were bad ass lil motors. A guy in my small town had a '71 Demon. It had a reputation not to mess with it. Years later I picked up a '72 Challenger 340 that had been mildly modded. It too gained that reputation.

Reactions: 19johned53

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
27,275 Posts
Reactions: 72/340

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Super cool car but that Demon isn't stock. Definitely shows how weight is the enemy though. That old Demon gets off the line awesome.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
12.3 is VERY quick for a stockish 340 A body, but embarrassingly slow for a Hellcat. Someone needs to work on their driving.
For sure. It looked like he was messing with the radio and then realized the Demon was already 5 car lengths in front before he took off.

·
Registered
2011 gwe srt
888 Posts
way to quick to be stock. My 71 duster 340 4 speed with a manifold 650 holley and headers ran low 14s stock it was mid 14s. About equal to a 5.7 car or a tad slower. No way in hell is one without major work going into the 12s let alone low 12s.

·
Registered
154 Posts
340 were bad ass engines. Had one in a 1970 'Cuda in high school. I'd hold its own against my SS big block Chevelle buddies. Imo, this race was a fluke. No way that Cat shoulda lost. Weight or not.

·
Registered
2015 Challenger R/T Plus 8 Speed
8,595 Posts
way to quick to be stock. My 71 duster 340 4 speed with a manifold 650 holley and headers ran low 14s stock it was mid 14s. About equal to a 5.7 car or a tad slower. No way in hell is one without major work going into the 12s let alone low 12s.
5.7 cars are mid 13 second cars just FYI

·
Registered
2015 Challenger R/T Plus 8 Speed
8,595 Posts
Actually if you look at how much faster the mph is on the hellcat, looks like it had a hard time getting traction.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
27,275 Posts
He slept, he spun :D

A Guy

·
Super Moderator
15,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
What does Dodge say a ScatPack runs? Mid 12s?
The SRT engineers stated, in a Chat Session, that the 392 in the Challenger will consistently run 12.6s. The fastest time they got was 12.4 sec.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
My old 68 340, Formula S, 4 Speed with 3:91 gears ran a best of 13.2 @ 105 mph on stock E70-14s. That was though the factory exhaust manifolds, intake and 625 AVS. Stock block, 11.5 compression, ported X heads, Crower Solid Roller cam and some suspension work.

The best it ever ran was an 11.78 @ 118 mph but that was when it had headers, Holley 800dp’er, slicks, and Victor 340 intake.

The 340 is a potent engine that responds very well to power adders especially when coupled with a light weight a-body.

2 pics. Both the same car. One in its drag racing days and the other after I made it slower and moved it back towards stock.

My pics aren’t cooperating.

·
Registered
21 HC WB, Octane red, A8; 20 SP, Octane red, A8 (gone); 16 SP, Granite Pearl (gone)
178 Posts
What does Dodge say a ScatPack runs? Mid 12s?
My ‘20 SP with the dynamics package and bone stock consistently trapped 12.7sec @112mph with a DA of 4000 ft. I’m hoping to break into the 10s with the Hellcat running MT drag radials.

·
Registered
2011 gwe srt
888 Posts
in the real world Vintage Road Test: 1971 Dodge Demon 340 – Road Test Magazine Takes A Real Devil For A Spin | Curbside Classic Set up the same as mine with 391s and a 4 speed. My car was a stripper other then that no air.. Am radio crank windows no console. Only other options that weren't there to make it fast were power steering and brakes and bucket seats. Now they did have a rep of being giant beaters but keep in mind the typical 396 chevelle or 389 gto or 351 mustangs and 390 fords or 383 road runners were low 15 cars that a toyota or my ram pickup would run down today. they mostly got that rep because they were quicker then the bigger 383 cars. Most of that came not from a magic motor but the fact they were lighter. If you ever owned one there about like a beer can on wheels. A 12 ouncer compared to the roadrunners which were 16 ouncers. Today we have REAL muscle. You wouldnt even need a hellcat. Just take a 1320 back in a time machine to 1970 and youd be a street legend. ive been asked by a few what id take back in time to make money on friday night. I always say a hemi or a LS motor and tranny. I could drop it in a short box truck and make thousands. In the real world if you were doing something in the 13s on the STREET at least around here people whispered in others ears.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Those 340's were bad ass lil motors. A guy in my small town had a '71 Demon. It had a reputation not to mess with it. Years later I picked up a '72 Challenger 340 that had been mildly modded. It too gained that reputation.
I was 19 and talked mom into buying a new 72 Duster 340 red with white interior and white stripes, it was fast, I was working at a Chrysler dealership detailing cars. A few months later someone traded a 70 340 orange challenger for a 73 Toyota truck, it was already tricked out, no one could beat me out the hole and that was the winning recipe, now I own a 2017 TA 392

1 - 20 of 25 Posts