Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't wait to get my butt in the seat of my Hellcat, It's going to be a long dreadful wait.

How do you guys think it will compare to the Cobra GT500 and do you think Ford will fire back with more HP in their next Cobra?

I like the Cobra, but the HP the Hellcat will have just can't be beat...at least right now. I wonder if we'll be able to add engine mods? I know those Cobra guys can add tons of HP to their cars with bolt-ons so I hope we will have the same capabilities.

MF.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
as with anything, it comes down to driver ability, guts and reaction time....its not all about the car

·
Registered
210 Posts
How do you guys think it will compare to the Cobra GT500 and do you think Ford will fire back with more HP in their next Cobra?
First, let's remember that the current GT500 is only down 45 horsepower. It seems like more because the Challenger broke the 700 barrier, but that's not a huge gap. And most assuredly the next GT500 is going to be a MUCH lighter car than the Challenger. The Mustang has been crushing the Challenger for years in sales, which likely means the development budget for every Mustang variant is higher than the equivalent Challenger.

All that is to say, I think it's safe to say that the next GT500 will be much faster than the Hellcat. It may or may not make more power, but it'll be faster.

Don't get me wrong, I'm still going to buy a Hellcat once I can get one without extra markup. I don't plan on racing GT500s, and this car would be my daily driver so I'd much rather have the roomy back seats and trunk of the Challenger. I don't care if the car is the absolute king of the hill -- I feel sorry for anyone who can't enjoy the car unless they believe it's the absolute fastest thing out there. 707HP is enough for me!

·
Registered
2015 Challenger SRT
1,552 Posts
Power to weight ratio is actually in the GT500's favor, but from everything I hear the A8 transmission is extremely efficient. Launch control is a really nice feature as well.

When they're released we'll see a ton of tests from magazines, as everyone jumps in line to test drive 707 horsepower. I'm hoping a lot of them line up a '13 or '14 GT500 next to it despite being a previous year model car. Even if they don't, it will be really interesting to see how many of them can replicate Dodge's 11.2 time.

If I were buying a car to modify for the track or drag strip I would go with the GT500. It weight 600 pounds less and it's not hard to add power, but it's very hard to remove weight.

If I'm keeping them stock I would want to drive both to make up my mind.

·
Registered
106 Posts
The decision for me is really quite simple. I happen to believe Tim Kuniskis - the Dodge Hellcat is the fastest and most powerful production-street legal- muscle car ever. Period. End of story.

GT 500 is a nice ride, but the Hellcat now wears the crown.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Not again.

Reactions: wasp392

·
Registered
826 Posts
I personally love the size, room, features, and performance options Dodge offers best bang for the buck. I get it some people like to say that the Hellcat is heavy, but I don't care it's safe and it has great features. I have driven ZL1 and the GT500 I love the feel of the Challenger I am so glad I waited on the Hellcat.

·
Registered
358 Posts
How much room is in the back seat of a Challenger? I have never owned one, can 2 adults fit in back comfortably for a 20 minute drive?

·
Registered
826 Posts
How much room is in the back seat of a Challenger? I have never owned one, can 2 adults fit in back comfortably for a 20 minute drive?
Two adults can fit easily for more than a 20 minute drive and it has a trunk.

·
Registered
94 Posts
There are no immediate plans for a horsepower-king Mustang. The next top tier Mustang will be for the road course. The kicker is, the GT350 or whatever they're going to call it, will have weight reduction AND high 500s HP. It's aim is more directed at the z28. But rest assured it'll still scream down the strip too. The Hellcat will wear the HP crown for at least the next 4 years.

·
Registered
409 Posts
There are no immediate plans for a horsepower-king Mustang. The next top tier Mustang will be for the road course. The kicker is, the GT350 or whatever they're going to call it, will have weight reduction AND high 500s HP. It's aim is more directed at the z28. But rest assured it'll still scream down the strip too. The Hellcat will wear the HP crown for at least the next 4 years.
Only to have that crown ripped from it's head by modded GT500s like yours :naughty:

Badass car man.

Reactions: ThomasL

·
Registered
210 Posts
Yeah, the GT350 is the first out of the gate. But there have already been spy shots of the GT500. So I'd say it's a safe bet we'll see it late in 2015 as a '16 model.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Yeah, the GT350 is the first out of the gate. But there have already been spy shots of the GT500. So I'd say it's a safe bet we'll see it late in 2015 as a '16 model.
The spy shots are from the GT350 i described. It's just that some people don't know what to call it so the y say "GT500".

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
I always loved the '13+ GT500's. That car is badass. I have always been a "car guy" and not a "MOPAR OR NO CAR" guy but If I had to choose between the two I'd definitely pick the Hellcat out of the two. You get the amazing ride comfort that Challengers are known for, outstanding build quality and options compared to the GT500, more power and an overall better vehicle for a few thousand dollars more. With the GT500s it's just PURE POWER without the creature comforts that come along with the Hellcat. I still drool over GT500s when I see them. In fact, I'd pick a '13+ GT500 over a 392 SRT Challenger any day of the week (well, not the '15's) but definitely not over a Hellcat. It's a really great time to be a car enthusiast:thumbsup: I don't think there will ever be a GT500 as powerful as the '13, '14 cars.

·
Registered
6,352 Posts

Two Fat Ass Adults can sit in the back seat and be 100% comfortable.. I certify this as a Fat Ass :D

·
Registered
381 Posts
Drag race can settle this.

First car to race 4 full-size adult passengers to the end of the 1/4 mile.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts