Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 163 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
I'd love to see this showdown. Both cars are amazing but I'd say Nissan has the edge here.

·
Premium Member
130 Posts
OK you have an all wheel drive ultra techy Datsun going up against a fairly techy rwd muscle car. The Datsun is lighter so it will be a hard act to follow.
But. A good mate of mine came around a couple of months back with a 4 year old GTR with a Lichfield 720bhp conversion. Bloody quick but the throttle response was knife edge. The boost ramp up was awesome but it made the car a real handfull. From what I have read the Hellcat does not try and kill you. The Datsun does. When I drove it the road was damp. Light throttle know problem. Once you get into the accelerator and it ramps to 1.4 bar of boost you really need to know what you are doing. Even with all wheel drive you are fighting to keep it in a straight line. The interior like all GTR's is IMO typical Jap crap. It is just not a special place to sit. New what they are twice the price of the HC. My mate paid roughly less than a new Hellcat will cost me. Honestly if it was 10K english or US I would not want one. They just are not that special. For me the Hellcat will be one of the last analogue cars and that apart from its looks is why I want one.

·
Registered
399 Posts
One of my business partners just got a brand new GTR. So I'll let you know how that stack up when I get my Hellcat :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
I say let both cars run whatever tire they want for the race. That would help level out the traction advantage that the Nissan has. Then I think the Hellcat could take it.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Hellcat is a muscle car, gtr is so super car, not even in the same league,, I would rather the hellcat , way more room,, but I would not go up against a gtr,,, if they have any mods, it will make the hellcat think it was a dart... Lol

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Current GTR does 0-60 in 2.7 seconds, so not going to touch that with RWD only. Veyron is 2.5 seconds, but this article is speculating about new GTR Nismo doing a 2.0 second 0-60. That seems like a stretch even for a AWD car, and would blow the $2,000,000 Veyron away at the stoplight.

2015 Nissan GT-R NISMO To Do 0-60 MPH In 2.0 Seconds?

·
Registered
2017 challenger hellcat A8
2,019 Posts
After a brief internet search Nissan makes a claim of 10.8 with 96 octane for a 2013. I have no idea if that means the car had a tune or if it met U.S. EPA specs. Motor Trend ran a 11.2 (not sure if a 2012 or 2013 and there is a difference with the 2013 being improved). I suppose if Motor Trend did it in 11.2 then the car really can be in the 10's.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
GTR will destroy
You know the Hellcat went 10.85 with DRs, right? I haven't seen a GT-R run quicker than that stock. Destroy is a strong word. Stock vs. stock, GT-R would take it. DRs change the game.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
You know the Hellcat went 10.85 with DRs, right? I haven't seen a GT-R run quicker than that stock. Destroy is a strong word. Stock vs. stock, GT-R would take it. DRs change the game.
As far as I know no owners have taken their Challenger Hellcat down the 1320 and went 10.85 on DRs.

You haven't seen a GTR run quicker than 10.85? This is stock - imagine what it will do with DRs...

Both cars are in two completely different leagues. If compared, the Hellcat would not stand a chance.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
As far as I know no owners have taken their Challenger Hellcat down the 1320 and went 10.85 on DRs.

You haven't seen a GTR run quicker than 10.85? This is stock - imagine what it will do with DRs...

Fastest Quickest 2013 Nissan GT-R Stock runs 10.87 @ 125 MPH Drag Racing 1/4 Mile vs Corvette ZR1 - YouTube

Both cars are in two completely different leagues. If compared, the Hellcat would not stand a chance.
Just goes to show how much of a factor 'driver mod' really is. 13.10 @ 125 for the Vette - he was clearly still in it at the traps based on his speed. But he couldn't launch the car to save his life.

If the Nitto NT05R P315/35R20 (28.7" tall - same as 275/40 OE) will fit under the Hellcat - I'd give the A8 every chance of being neck/neck or ahead of the Nismo at the 1/4 mile trap.

Considering the Nismo cost more than 2X the Hellcat and has AWD - I don't think it's much of a concession for Nissan to allow the Hellcat to wear DRs at the track.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
not even a comparison

7:08.69 Nissan GT-R Nismo (2015) Michael Krumm September 30, 2013 'Track Pack' with 255/40RF-20 run-flat Dunlop SP Sport Maxx GT 600 DSST tires.[21][22][23]

20,600 m (67,600 ft) 7:11.57 Gumpert Apollo Sport Florian Gruber 13 August 2009 OEM Michelin Pilot Sport Cup tires. Sport auto (Germany) (Article)

20,600 m (67,600 ft) 7:12:13 Dodge Viper ACR (2010) Dominik Farnbacher 14 September 2011 SRT conducted test. Video and manufacturer confirmed. OEM Michelin Pilot Sport Cup R compound track DOT competition tires. TTAC article. Chrysler press release [8] [9]

The Nismo GTR blew away the ACR Viper record at the ring.

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
No comparison. I'd hate to see Hellcat owners letting their eyes get too big for their stomachs. You're gonna wanna stay away from the new GT-R's.

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Just goes to show how much of a factor 'driver mod' really is. 13.10 @ 125 for the Vette - he was clearly still in it at the traps based on his speed. But he couldn't launch the car to save his life.

If the Nitto NT05R P315/35R20 (28.7" tall - same as 275/40 OE) will fit under the Hellcat - I'd give the A8 every chance of being neck/neck or ahead of the Nismo at the 1/4 mile trap.

Considering the Nismo cost more than 2X the Hellcat and has AWD - I don't think it's much of a concession for Nissan to allow the Hellcat to wear DRs at the track.
... and the GT-R has less letters in it than the Challenger... :dunno:

·
Registered
22 Posts

I don't think DR's would help the GTR very much. It is already AWD and I would think it would gain very little at launch from better tires. The challenger on the other hand would gain a huge amount with better tires. Whether that would be enough to take down the GTR would be a fun to find out.

1 - 20 of 163 Posts