Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Hellcat vs. NISMO

36K views 162 replies 58 participants last post by  cortc 
#1 ·
#2 ·
I'd love to see this showdown. Both cars are amazing but I'd say Nissan has the edge here.

#3 ·
OK you have an all wheel drive ultra techy Datsun going up against a fairly techy rwd muscle car. The Datsun is lighter so it will be a hard act to follow.
But. A good mate of mine came around a couple of months back with a 4 year old GTR with a Lichfield 720bhp conversion. Bloody quick but the throttle response was knife edge. The boost ramp up was awesome but it made the car a real handfull. From what I have read the Hellcat does not try and kill you. The Datsun does. When I drove it the road was damp. Light throttle know problem. Once you get into the accelerator and it ramps to 1.4 bar of boost you really need to know what you are doing. Even with all wheel drive you are fighting to keep it in a straight line. The interior like all GTR's is IMO typical Japanese crap. It is just not a special place to sit. New what they are twice the price of the HC. My mate paid roughly less than a new Hellcat will cost me. Honestly if it was 10K english or US I would not want one. They just are not that special. For me the Hellcat will be one of the last analogue cars and that apart from its looks is why I want one.

#12 ·
You know the Hellcat went 10.85 with DRs, right? I haven't seen a GT-R run quicker than that stock. Destroy is a strong word. Stock vs. stock, GT-R would take it. DRs change the game.

#13 ·
As far as I know no owners have taken their Challenger Hellcat down the 1320 and went 10.85 on DRs.

You haven't seen a GTR run quicker than 10.85? This is stock - imagine what it will do with DRs...

Both cars are in two completely different leagues. If compared, the Hellcat would not stand a chance.

#10 ·
Current GTR does 0-60 in 2.7 seconds, so not going to touch that with RWD only. Veyron is 2.5 seconds, but this article is speculating about new GTR Nismo doing a 2.0 second 0-60. That seems like a stretch even for a AWD car, and would blow the $2,000,000 Veyron away at the stoplight.

2015 Nissan GT-R NISMO To Do 0-60 MPH In 2.0 Seconds?

#11 · (Edited)
After a brief internet search Nissan makes a claim of 10.8 with 96 octane for a 2013. I have no idea if that means the car had a tune or if it met U.S. EPA specs. Motor Trend ran a 11.2 (not sure if a 2012 or 2013 and there is a difference with the 2013 being improved). I suppose if Motor Trend did it in 11.2 then the car really can be in the 10's.

#15 · (Edited)
not even a comparison

7:08.69 Nissan GT-R Nismo (2015) Michael Krumm September 30, 2013 'Track Pack' with 255/40RF-20 run-flat Dunlop SP Sport Maxx GT 600 DSST tires.[21][22][23]

20,600 m (67,600 ft) 7:11.57 Gumpert Apollo Sport Florian Gruber 13 August 2009 OEM Michelin Pilot Sport Cup tires. Sport auto (Germany) (Article)

20,600 m (67,600 ft) 7:12:13 Dodge Viper ACR (2010) Dominik Farnbacher 14 September 2011 SRT conducted test. Video and manufacturer confirmed. OEM Michelin Pilot Sport Cup R compound track DOT competition tires. TTAC article. Chrysler press release [8] [9]

The Nismo GTR blew away the ACR Viper record at the ring.

#21 ·
I think for me that I can compete with a stock GTR, a car that costs twice as much, in a Hellcat is pretty awesome. Doesn't matter if I win, I can come close, and buy two different color Hellcats for different days of the week for what it would cost to get one GTR :)

Reactions: tbrenny32
#25 ·
I think if I were Dodge I wouldn't be picking a 1/4 mile fight with a GTR Nismo. The awd is going to be tough to overcome. A well prepped track and a set of real DRs for the Hellcat would even up the field a bit though. Instead I would challenge the Nismo to a top-end run with the Hellcat Charger :)

#27 ·
Yup!

Anything 0-60 or 1/4 mile, the GT-R has the edge. But say from a 30 MPH roll, it would be much closer. From a 60 MPH roll, HC would probably have the edge - and in a full mile race the Challenger would undoubtedly trap a higher speed

Reactions: c26bt34c
#26 ·
Beautiful car, the NISMO, body wise and mechanically...

...my 17 year old is already giving me grief that my Scat Pack 392 wouldn't stand a chance (as if I didn't know that) and nor would the Hell Cat...

...but then, he's 17 and of this generation; he thinks the exhaust sound of most Stance cars is "heavenly music"...

...of course, I told him I'd rather be in Hell (Cat).

...but the kicker for me is the price differential; the NISMO was built at twice the price, and we're still discussing the Hell Cat in the same breath...

...score one for Dodge, (and one for us old fogeys).

#28 ·
the GTR will never win.. because it will breakdown and with their "black box" it wont be covered by warranty... the hellcat on the other hand...will outrun him in the long run

#30 ·
I'll be sure to let you guys know. My best car bud here is getting the very first US production Nismo GTR hopefully in the next month. The car is already built just waiting for a few more to be built before they will ship it.

I've spent reasonable time with the GTR. You guys that are thinking it will destroy the Hellcat in the 1/4 should be ashamed of yourself. What part of 10.85 for the hellcat didn't you see? This will be the race of the century and if no one else does it before me and my buddy get our cars.. we WILL be doing it. I plan on putting Godzilla to rest.

The GTR is a premium piece of machinery. The launch will make you want to toss your cookies. They don't need drag radials. The all wheel drive is unstoppable and gives this car a very distinct advantage: consistency. My grandma can get in that car and knock off killer times every time if the rapid rush of blood flow at launch didn't make her pass out.

But the consistency of its launch doesn't mean the Hellcat isn't going to launch. I will heat the **** out of my tires, make them prep the **** out of the track, and it's on. If the hellcat grabs..I say it wins. It may not launch sweet every time..I just need it to launch awesome 1 time and Godzilla will fall.

Outside of a drag strip...as in an autocross or whatever..GTR is the ****. Hard to beat that but since I am a drag racer..I just don't care about that. The GTR loses some of its pull once the launch is complete. The Hellcat will pull harder. Just gotta get a killer launch.

In the words of someone else close to us all on this board: Stay Tuned!!

#32 · (Edited)
It's funny how some of you guys are standing by that the HC would win. Maybe, just maybe in a roll straight line. What happens when you throw a couple turns in ? The GTR costs 150k because it IS twice the car. Doesn't change the fact that i would loveb to have the HC but can't afford it because i have to but my wife a new vehicle soon out i would own one, so that means the GTR is WAY out of my price range.

#34 ·
It's funny how some of you guys are standing by that the HC would win. Maybe, just maybe in a roll straight line. What happens when you throw a couple turns in ? The GTR costs 150k because it IS twice the car. Doesn't change the fact that i would loveb to have the HC but can't afford it because i have to but my wife a new vehicle soon out i would own one, so that means the GTR is WAY out of my price range.
I think when we say it could win we're strictly saying 1/4 mile. The HC doesn't have a chance (and shouldn't due to cost difference amongst several things) have a chance on track. Imagine how much lighter and better a Hellcat could be with 80k more into it!! If we're strictly talking performance here the only place the HC can win (with DRs to be fair, offset the AWD and cost diff) is in the 1/4. But honestly when I see the interiors and which one I'd rather sit in all the time it'd be the Hellcat in a runaway. I really dislike the GTR interior, also I've heard their warranty is awful. The majority of us wouldn't use either one of these cars enough to maximize performance, so in that case I want the nicer more comfortable interior at half the cost!!

#33 ·
Am I missing something? The NISMO is the track car, right? And it does the quarter in 11.2, right? Doesn't the Hellcat do it in 11.2? In street tires? Sure, it's a beast 0-60, but the 1/4's are the same. The GTR is a super car, sure, but the hell cat ain't no slouch. It sure as hell won't get "destroyed". The NISMO is higher tuned than the regular GTR. Wait till someone tunes the Hellcat. And they will...

Reactions: Bad daytona
#36 ·
Exactly...you are not missing anything. The Nismo does 11.2. The hellcat does 11.2. But the 11.2 is as good as the Nismo should be. It already has a sticky launch every time. Give the Hellcat sticky launch and it runs 10.85. Get the tires a little stickier on the Hellcat and down goes Godzilla.

You guys that think the Nismo is going to destroy the Hellcat need to read up on it. The info is already out on it. Its not a guessing game.

Granted...I'm talking drag race which as I stated above is the only area I care about.

And from a roll I'm saying its all Hellcat the entire time. What gives the GTR its awesome drag strip times is its AWD giving it nearly perfect launch every time. Once rolling while it does pull hard but its not going to keep pulling as well as the Hellcat will.

Outside of drag race out on any other kind of track there is no denying the superiority of the GTR. It is a phenomenal machine across the board.

At any rate my buddy should have his Nismo within the next 30 days and if they ever get the ordering banks open I should have my Hellcat not too far behind it and we'll see first hand how it will go.

#38 ·
If you look youtube, the hellcat has a really hard time hooking, getting barely 4.7 on the 0-60. In that race, it can't do much better than a 392. Just too much eight in the front. Drags will help tremendously. I bet a Jeep Hellcat with AWD would beat it in a quarter.

A bit more distance though, the Hellcat might make it up with the extra 200HP compared to the GTR.

The HP wars has just started. Hellcat won't be king for long. Even Infinity has a 600+ beast coming. Maybe Toyota will finally be back in the game. Its a game of thrones and we all win!

#39 ·
I believe it will all be in he track prep and the heating of the tires.

We will be running with the factory summer tires to start and based on results we'll see if the Nitto 555's are required.

That's the thing with that GTR is it doesn't care if you are on the track or the street that thing hooks every time. We've done plenty of launches on the street with his original GTR and then his Black Edition that he just traded towards his Nismo and it launches so hard it really does make you think you are going to toss your cookies!

#40 · (Edited)
The GTR is faster in a wider span of performance measures

The GTR will initially out accellerate a Hellcat. The HC may have a higher top speed. The GTR will beat the HC on any curved track.

Oftentimes, people use the 1/4 mile race as an overall measure of speed performance. The 1/4 mile race is an "arbitrary" measure. It is a long enough distance to get an overall idea of which car accellerates faster.

It is NOT a difinitive test for cars that may be similar in strait line performance. It determines which car is faster in a 1/4 mile...period. To find out which accellerates better, a series of distance races would need to be completed: 0-60, 0-70, 0-100, 1/8th, 1/4, 1/2, 3/4, 1.0, 1.5 and 2.0 mile races. Also launches from various speeds would need to be considered, as well as top speed. When all that data is analyzed, perhaps an "overall" strait line-speed performance comparison could be made. Obviously, there sould be the same driver testing each car on the same track....and same day. More than one driver would allow for better data collection. To get even more complete data, the tests should be completed in a wide range of temps.

There would be no need to test stopping distance and turning performance. The GTR would destroy.

#44 · (Edited)
The GTR will initially out accellerate a Hellcat. The HC may have a higher top speed. The GTR will beat the HC on any curved track.

Oftentimes, people use the 1/4 mile race as an overall measure of speed performance. The 1/4 mile race is an "arbitrary" measure. It is a long enough distance to get an overall idea of which car accellerates faster.

It is NOT a difinitive test for cars that may be similar in strait line performance. It determines which car is faster in a 1/4 mile...period. To find out which accellerates better, a series of distance races would need to be completed: 0-60, 0-70, 0-100, 1/8th, 1/4, 1/2, 3/4, 1.0, 1.5 and 2.0 mile races. Also launches from various speeds would need to be considered, as well as top speed. When all that data is analyzed, perhaps an "overall" strait line-speed performance comparison could be made. Obviously, there sould be the same driver testing each car on the same track....and same day. More than one driver would allow for better data collection. To get even more complete data, the tests should be completed in a wide range of temps.

There would be no need to test stopping distance and turning performance. The GTR would destroy.
Agreed. The GTR was not built for 1/4 mile it was built for road course.but the title here was HC vs NISMO and to me that doesn't just mean 1/4 mile, they are 2 different beasts all together. Like I said previously I would take GTR over HC but I don't have that kind of dough. The HC is realistic and I would absolutely love to have one. So with that said I'll wait two years and trade my 14 392 for a used HC. Maybe if I get a really fat bonus and raise I can one day own a GTR

#41 ·
Do we even know any information on stopping distance? Both cars are heavy and both have massive brakes so what makes you think the GTR is going to "Destroy" the Hellcat in this regard? And the GTR will only out-pull the Hellcat at that initial launch thanks to AWD. Once both cars are hooked and rolling, the massive 707hp and 8 speed trans should be out pulling that Nismo the whole time.

#42 · (Edited)
Good point...

But GTR's have BIG brakes also....and weighs a LOT less. Here is a track test of the "trac pac" GTR: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/coupes/1304_2014_nissan_gt_r_track_edition_first_test/

Q: "The biggest improvement in the GT-R's performance was its stopping distance, with the red rocket coming to a screeching halt from 60 mph in just 94 feet -- 11 feet sooner than the Black Edition."

Perhaps someone knows if the HC can stop from 60 in less than 94 feet?

Q: (GTR website): "The GT-R® has massive 15.4" front rotors and 15.0" rear rotors are designed to shed high speeds, so they can easily tame a long downhill run. As the brakes heat up, unique “floating disc” rotors expand freely from their hubs. Diamond-pattern ventilation inside each disc rapidly extract heat and ducting in the wheel wells sweep it away."

The ALPAR site shows 15.5 inch-6 piston front, and 13.8-4 piston rear Brakes for the HC. The GTR has similar disc sizes, with 6 pistons front- and 4 pistons rear. I bet they are the SAME Brembo's.

The GTR weighs 3881 pounds...approx 500 pounds lighter than the HC. My bet is on a quicker stopping GTR.

The Trac edition GTR costs $119K. If you GAVE me one, I'd SELL it and buy a $60K HC.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.