Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Dodge Challenger 392
1,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Diet time for the big cat! We won't have any power mods for a while so for those of us that like to race from time to time...what weightloss mods are we considering?

I love the rear seat delete in my 392 so I plan to do that...as well as drain and pull the windshield washer tank...pull the trunk interior out for actual track day... I don't want this to be a clapped out gutted race car so pulling the A/C and radio and passenger seat won't happen. Getting this one without a sunroof so that will help... The hood is already aluminum so not much to be lost there swapping unless you just remove it lol. Anyone with the HK system (that's now standard on SRT it seems) ever pull the subs and rear amp out? Two 10" speakers and a 900 watt amp should be like 40 lbs if it's all in an enclosure you can just unplug and pull out... If it ISN'T then having and audio place change it so that it IS would be in my plans...
So:

Seat delete ~30 lbs assuming the same as prior years
Windshield fluid/tank ~ 7 lbs up front
Engine covers ~5 lbs
Subwoofers/amp ~40 lbs

Really not adding up to be much off the 4450 lbs. Anyone else have any similar plans? I'd like to take it down 150 lbs to 200 but doesn't seem likely without a bunch that I don't want to give up on a new car...

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
Isn't it like 250 lbs heavier than 2014 SRT, due to extra coolers and liquids? Horsepower to weight ratio will compensate for that a bit but with you on rear delete first thing I do anyway, and the hood will be lighter than anything the aftermarket will come up with I would bet.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Them back seats are more like 45lbs. Ive weighed them

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Isn't it like 250 lbs heavier than 2014 SRT, due to extra coolers and liquids? Horsepower to weight ratio will compensate for that a bit but with you on rear delete first thing I do anyway, and the hood will be lighter than anything the aftermarket will come up with I would bet.
HellCat 4450 lbs, SRT 392 4170 lbs. Nearly 300 lbs extra with upgraded trans and all the forced induction parts...
So mine is 600 hp and HC is 707... so gaining 100 hp with the deal but gaining nearly 400 lbs (my car is down 100ish with wheels, seat del, no cats, headers and FM exhaust). Basically will feel like my car plus 60 hp. Which is why I want to trim weight... Although the peak torque being much higher and low down with a twin screw will certainly make it feel MUCH different!

Them back seats are more like 45lbs. Ive weighed them
Actually just over 50 lbs...but when you put the 20 lb delete kit in net loss is 31 lbs on the prior models if I remember correctly...

Reactions: challengeRRR

·
Registered
48 Posts
If its in the budget, some nice lightweight forged wheels could reduce some rotational weight? I'm curious how heavy those stock wheels are, if they are even that heavy at all.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If its in the budget, some nice lightweight forged wheels could reduce some rotational weight? I'm curious how heavy those stock wheels are, if they are even that heavy at all.
Yeah they claim the brass ones are lightweight...so does that mean the black are not? Would love to know weights. I have a lightweight set of Mickeys I can put on already, bolt pattern is still the same but with brake changes not sure offset and all will be same. Hope they fit but they may not be much if any lighter than stock set.

·
Registered
6,352 Posts
Yeah they claim the brass ones are lightweight...so does that mean the black are not? Would love to know weights. I have a lightweight set of Mickeys I can put on already, bolt pattern is still the same but with brake changes not sure offset and all will be same. Hope they fit but they may not be much if any lighter than stock set.

There is only one rim for the HC.. Just two different finishes, Hyperblack (Standard) and BrassMonkey (Optional).

The rims are Forged and I doubt you will save much if any weight going to an aftermarket rim unless it's an exotic
three piece billet race rim.

·
Registered
251 Posts
The current weight, no matter how much people talk s#!t about it, doesn't seem to be hampering its drag time. Rotational weight is where your getting the most benefit, rims, axles, shafts, flywheels etc.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
There is only one rim for the HC.. Just two different finishes, Hyperblack (Standard) and BrassMonkey (Optional).

The rims are Forged and I doubt you will save much if any weight going to an aftermarket rim unless it's an exotic
three piece billet race rim.
Good info! And that means I can sell my wheels if I want...they may not fit the HC properly anyway offset wise. Would be nice to run them though...10.5" rear wheel around the same weight and then 315s that lay down proper contact patch. :)
Could run 315 on the 9.5" but then without laying down contact fully but adding weight I'd be reducing performance not gaining anything other than a meaty look.

The current weight, no matter how much people talk s#!t about it, doesn't seem to be hampering its drag time. Rotational weight is where your getting the most benefit, rims, axles, shafts, flywheels etc.
Very true...more weight = more traction so not a totally bad thing. Truthfully I like the look of the seat delete so that one would happen anyway lol. And I don't remember the last time I used windshield washer fluid...my K5 Blazer squirts it all over the hood lol, my truck if the windshield is that dirty I go to the carwash and my car is a garage queen and gets cleaned pre-show about twice a month anyway. No need. If wheels are already light then no need to change em... And I won't swap axles or flywheels for a long time...lets HOPE not anyway! Wonder what those stock Pirelli tires weigh...don't want to gain a bunch there since that's what's spinning furthest from the hub...

·
Registered
450 Posts
I really don't see the point in entertaining weight loss with the Hellcat. 4,450 lbs. You'd have to gut the car to lose 150 lbs at best. So you have a car that weighs 4,300 lbs and you've lost everyday drivability because you have no sound deadening, no AC, no headliner, no stereo, no back seat, no carpet...

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I really don't see the point in entertaining weight loss with the Hellcat. 4,450 lbs. You'd have to gut the car to lose 150 lbs at best. So you have a car that weighs 4,300 lbs and you've lost everyday drivability because you have no sound deadening, no AC, no headliner, no stereo, no back seat, no carpet...

Less weight, faster car...again I'm NOT talking about gutting a brand new car...thinking simple mods that can be done tastefully to trim it down some.

If I wasn't getting a HC I was about to swap the hood, roof (I have a sunroof now and would "delete" it and the bracing/motor/glass) and trunk of my car to drop about 90 lbs...bumper mounts for 40 lbs...etc. All adds up. Already down over 100 from headers, no cats, exhaust, seat delete... I don't drag race...originally I was into mile races but got bored and then did roll races from 50 or 60 mph...weight makes a larger difference then.

·
Registered
450 Posts
I guess my point is that trying to shed weight out of a 4,450 lb car is a diminishing return proposition. If you were to take weight out of a M3, 911, Vette, Mustang etc the percentage of weight loss would be higher of course.

The Challenger is derived from a sedan chassis. The Hellcat is similar to the weight of a E class AMG, M6 etc. These are all heavy cars and no matter how much weight you take out they will still be a very heavy cars. If one's focus is weight the Hellcat shouldn't be the car to consider. Pulley swaps and tunes would probably be the better way to go with this car.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I guess my point is that trying to shed weight out of a 4,450 lb car is a diminishing return proposition. If you were to take weight out of a M3, 911, Vette, Mustang etc the percentage of weight loss would be higher of course.

The Challenger is derived from a sedan chassis. The Hellcat is similar to the weight of a E class AMG, M6 etc. These are all heavy cars and no matter how much weight you take out they will still be a very heavy cars. If one's focus is weight the Hellcat shouldn't be the car to consider. Pulley swaps and tunes would probably be the better way to go with this car.
I agree but we are likely a year or more from serious performance mod availability... Actually FlatTop mentioned something about "NO way of EVER tuning...limited mods" on his last post so somewhat concerned about that. While 707 hp is "too much" for some...for my purposes I'd call it "a great starting point" lol. I'd like to have it at about 700 at the wheels for that much weight.

Maybe ma Mopar will have some factory approved mods to inch the power up 5% to 10% like packages that the dealer installs and tunes...I'd be ok with that if it's not 3x what it would cost me if I could do it elsewhere.

Losing 100 lbs from 4450 lbs is like 2% so not very noticeable I completely agree...but could be the difference in a roll race of going from 60 to 129 or hitting 130...

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
Hey Nick just wondered if you ever actually weighted your present car? Every upgrade we do may add/subtract weight or performance if the performance mod adds weight but performs better its a push, but many upgrades (strut braces) add weight without a corresponding HP offset, like the Longtubes with no cats (should be win/win weight/HP gains), my SX hood is a good example of actually adding weight with no HP gains but I like the look and can/do remove the scoop section to remove weight and drag along with the spare and jack and anything else I can at strip. Once the aftermarket gets the specs there should be other options that are win/wins like the Hotchkis hollow sway bars which increase performance AND shed 10 lbs weight, and don't get a sunroof on this one! :D

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hey Nick just wondered if you ever actually weighted your present car? Every upgrade we do may add/subtract weight or performance if the performance mod adds weight but performs better its a push, but many upgrades (strut braces) add weight without a corresponding HP offset, like the Longtubes with no cats (should be win/win weight/HP gains), my SX hood is a good example of actually adding weight with no HP gains but I like the look and can/do remove the scoop section to remove weight and drag along with the spare and jack and anything else I can at strip. Once the aftermarket gets the specs there should be other options that are win/wins like the Hotchkis hollow sway bars which increase performance AND shed 10 lbs weight, and don't get a sunroof on this one! :D
Long time no see brother!
No I've never weighed that fat girl she is scale shy. :)
And only things I've added weight wise are strut braces. Rear one wasn't as beneficial as the front one and it was harder to install. And NO sunroof on this one...only reason my 392 has it was because I was impatient and wanted an SRT Challenger TODAY lol - only red 6 speed for 500 miles so went to get her same day my prior car sold and did dealer in-and-out on it to save on taxes some. So that made the nav and sunroof cost near zero because if I would have waited to find one later then couldn't have done in and out. :)

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
First mods I will do, when I get my Hellcat, is weight loss and suspension work. If you drop the weight down a bit, there is no need for further engine mods.

I removed the backseat and carpet out of the trunk of my YJ, and that's were I stopped. Was looking at the CF one piece drive shaft but I'll wait and see if I can add that to the Hellcat for more weight savings and less parasitic loss in the drive train.

Should be an interesting journey!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts