Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was crusing the Dodge.ca website to price out a Hellcat and the MSRP has risen to $71800ish!! A base SRT 392 is still $53xxx. Now that its almost a 20k spread between the cars, its making more sense to mod the 392 with a blower and built motor and have more HP than the Hellcat.

R.K.

**Waiting on the "but you won't have any warranty" comment.**

·
Registered
828 Posts
Wait no more..... "but you won't have any warranty"!!!

Hahahaha!!!! :grin2:

·
Premium Member
1,260 Posts
I was crusing the Dodge.ca website to price out a Hellcat and the MSRP has risen to $71800ish!! A base SRT 392 is still $53xxx. Now that its almost a 20k spread between the cars, its making more sense to mod the 392 with a blower and built motor and have more HP than the Hellcat.

R.K.

I thought it was always around there.....bargain actually. 66 grand US is 80 grand CDN

·
Registered
513 Posts
There were 5 Hellcats listed as inventory in St. Louis yesterday. They were all listed as MSRP.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
They haven't changed on the US site.

They rarely raise the US prices but will raise CND prices when ever they see a chance to. That's why a number of years ago when our CND dollar was on par, Canadians flocked to the US and bought up cars like crazy. This forced the local dealer to pull the "oh, its a US car?? No warranty up here" BS. The spread gets even bigger when you look at highend Euro cars like the Porsche Turbo S. A base Turbo S in Canada is $209 585. In the US the same car is $183 695.00.

R.K.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just checking some pricing on the autotrader app. Some Hellcats available across the country, pricing ranges from 84K to 100K. And most of them, in my opinion, are used, with 50 or 250 or 300 km on the dial. That tells me there have been a few test pilots, most likely staff at the dealership I assume. One dealer has a pre order in at 72K which I believe is MSRP. Anyway, the SRT or Scat Pack are looking better and better all the time now, at least from my perspective.

·
Registered
875 Posts

R.K.

Totally agree.....
I was planning on buying a used hellcat but not anymore since prices aren't going down......I am just going to get me a srt.......u can get a 2015 new srt for about $4545 left over... and a used 2015 srt for around 42.....so why in hell will I pay over 70k for a hellcat when I can get the used for 42k and save me 28k....it's a no brainer....
Dodge did a great car bit now can't keep up lol...

·
Premium Member
698 Posts
A friend today was reading me Hellcat sales from auction lists. Said eight ran through auctions this week and all brought high prices way above their list prices.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts

R.K.

If you can afford a Hellcat, warranty shouldn't be a concern. You should be able to swing a few thousand here and there to fix any problems that arise.

However, the downside to modding a SP or SRT 392 is that you still have a car worth, at most, loan value.

The Hellcat will always maintain a sizable price spread over the SP or SRT 392... 2 years, 5 years, 10 years down the road.

A 5 year old SRT 392 with 15k in mods will still be worth low-mid 30's, while a Hellcat will still bring in the 40's.... who knows... maybe more.

You just lost 30k with the SRT 392 while only losing 20ish with the Hellcat.

At the end of the day, most knowledgeable people don't want to buy another persons toy and most can't afford above loan value anyway.

If you WANT to mod up a 392 then by all means go ahead.. but to do so as a means of matching Hellcat "value" is not a wise plan.

·
Registered
863 Posts
That's why a number of years ago when our CND dollar was on par, Canadians flocked to the US and bought up cars like crazy. This forced the local dealer to pull the "oh, its a US car?? No warranty up here" BS.

R.K.
This is illegal under NAFTA. People may hate on dealers for various personal slights or perceived bad deals but those are personal issues. This is a real life example of Dealers breaking the law and posing as law abiding businesses.

·
Registered
2012 challenger srt
1,951 Posts
This is illegal under NAFTA. People may hate on dealers for various personal slights or perceived bad deals but those are personal issues. This is a real life example of Dealers breaking the law and posing as law abiding businesses.
I live in Washington state and tried to buy a car in Canada but no dealer would sell to me all said Chrysler and the law would not allow it. However the dealer could get a car from up north and sell it to me. Problem was they were hard to get here and the dealer wanted a big markup if he got it from a dealer in Canada.

·
Registered
863 Posts
I live in Washington state and tried to buy a car in Canada but no dealer would sell to me all said Chrysler and the law would not allow it. However the dealer could get a car from up north and sell it to me. Problem was they were hard to get here and the dealer wanted a big markup if he got it from a dealer in Canada.
Hey Brandi,
The dealers lied to you. It is absolutely not illegal to buy a new car in Canada if you are American. You just have to ensure it meets specs for your state and follow inspection rules. Chrysler company policy does not supercede NAFTA. Unfair and illegal especially when you factor in Chrysler only exists today because of US and Canadian government bailouts.

·
Registered
2012 challenger srt
1,951 Posts
Hey Brandi,
The dealers lied to you. It is absolutely not illegal to buy a new car in Canada if you are American. You just have to ensure it meets specs for your state and follow inspection rules. Chrysler company policy does not supercede NAFTA. Unfair and illegal especially when you factor in Chrysler only exists today because of US and Canadian government bailouts.
t hey told me was that Chrysler would not allow them do it. I am glade I didn't buy the car it was a PT cruiser. I must have lost my mind but they saved me.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
People who think addressing the internals and adding a blower on their SRT will give them a Hellcat equivalent have no idea what the HC has to offer ! JMO

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Base MSRP when I was buying my SRT382 in October of 14 was $68xxxish. Now its almost $72K.

R.K.
I'm going to quote myself because I was given the opportunity to buy a 2016 Hellcat at MSRP which has risen to $81K for a fully loaded 6 speed car with no satin hood and sunroof. Almost 30K more than a 392 Challenger.

R.K.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I thought, aside from the engine, hood and Uconnect extras, a 392 and Hellcat were the same car...no?
There are also differences in the transmissions (obviously more stout to handle the 707HP) and cooling. I believe everything else is the same.

R.K.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts