Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey so I've been trying to come with a cheap alternative to getting a challenger with the hellcat power but not paying hellcat price. My idea is basically buying a 2015 sxt (my favourite era) for under 25k CAD. The Hellcrate engine is being sold now for 15k and if you do the math it ads up to 40k, not including install fees, and everything else. Is it even worth the time and effort to make this build or do I just scrap the idea and just finance a hellcat when I'm financially able?

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
14,717 Posts
Welcome to Challengertalk ;) Just so you are aware, the Hellcrate is for pre-1976 street and off-road vehicles. Not legal on pollution-controlled vehicles or vehicles registered for highway use. Now if that doesn't stop you, then the discussion starts on additional costs of supporting drive line mods, etc. I imagine you'd be talking...$30,000? Enjoy an SXT, save for the Hellcat

A Guy

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I appreciate the advice. I didnt know about the pollution component so that's a totally different deal. Still though, I'd love to make a restomod with that crate, but dreams will be dreams;)

·
Registered
761 Posts
You may be able to get into an older Hellcat for a little more then 40k. I’d look into used vehicles in the stated. I’ve seen some on the net listing for 47-48k these days. That’s not too bad considering what your original plan was going to be. You could also buy a complete wrecked unit and be try to swap it into something like a Scat. This way you have the rear diff & trans that can handle the Hellcat power.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
6,131 Posts
I thought hellcat crate motor (68303089AA) ~$15k was street legal and the hellaphant crate (P5160194) ~$29k was not? In the catalog the hellaphant is flagged as not being street legal not the hellcat (see pages 9&10).

One thing I don't like about the hell cat is all the weight that comes with it...but it comes with 6 piston brembo brakes which will tac on another +$4k to your build if want the car to stop like a hell cat as well. It ain't cheap to build up a car that can accelerate and decelarate like a hell cat.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
14,717 Posts

·
Registered
761 Posts
I'm sure there is a way to take the Hellephant engine and integrate it with a street legal vehicle, Just saying it is possible, just not cost effective.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
SXT, Hellcrate, HP90 trans., driveshaft, rear-end upgrade, brakes, labor, mod. headaches/glitches...I’d say save for the Hellcat and embrace the badge.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts