Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
2,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had contacted John Urist from Hellion about a twin setup for our Hemi's and he said that he'd send an e-mail when it was done! Well, I opened up my e-mail today and low and behold, there was an announcement that they will have them available after SEMA (which is now)! The price is $7995 for the base sleeper kit (which I think is kind of high, but just my opinion. Not too mention that I'm cheap :D).

I just thought that I'd mention it in case someone was interested.

https://www.hellionpowersystems.com/?make=321&model=337&year_id=342&post_type=product&action=vpf-search

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
It will be super interesting to watch how this plays out. I was always curious what OEM would put a twin turbo on a V8 first between the Camaro, Challenger or Mustang.

·
Registered
118 Posts
i remember seeing powernation did a twin turbo on stock GT and boss 302. stock gt made over 700whp and boss made way more on stock bottom end. Hemi with stock bottom end .. hmmm :)

·
Premium Member
163 Posts
Good to have options like this but for that kind of coin I'd personally upgrade to a Hellcat w/ a factory warranty. I prefer the SC whine over the TC whistle, esp on retro cars.

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
2,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i remember seeing powernation did a twin turbo on stock GT and boss 302. stock gt made over 700whp and boss made way more on stock bottom end. Hemi with stock bottom end .. hmmm :)
They also did a set of twins on the Powerstop brake giveaway car but it had a built, forged motor. Actually, boost is boost, but I'd think that a turbo is easier on a motor because of the lack of a belt hanging on the crank and parasitic drag on the motor. Besides the ring lands being the weak point in a Hemi, a good tune and possibly some meth injection would help with longevity.

If I were to use any type of forced induction on Ruby, I'd do the Hellion just because I could use a good boost controller that would help in power delivery. I could do boost by gear, boost by speed, low boost settings, high boost settings and the list goes on and on (probably use an EBoost2).

It's not even fair to compare a Coyote motor and a Hemi when it comes to boost! The Coyote will bury a Hemi Every day of the year because they Absolutely Love boost and Hemi's ...not so much! John Urist did a Hellion kit on a bone stock Coyote back in 2015, when the S550 Mustang came out and it make a bit north of 950 to the ground and that's pretty amazing!

Good to have options like this but for that kind of coin I'd personally upgrade to a Hellcat w/ a factory warranty. I prefer the SC whine over the TC whistle, esp on retro cars.
I kind of agree with you about he warranty, but I have a different opinion on the turbo versus blower sound though, but it's good to have different opinions. It's what keeps these forums going! :)

Besides, you can spend some money form Hellion and get the Hellion "Screamer" compressor upgrade which will make the turbo whistle loudly under boost.

Hellion Screamer video..........

·
Registered
768 Posts
I’m not sure how old this thread is. But I can tell you that the Hellion kit has been out for nearly 3 years now. They were first to market for a TT kit for our Hemi’s but now Granetelli also sells a similar setup. Honestly speaking the kit is a little high. But we have to pay for engineering.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
I’m not sure how old this thread is. But I can tell you that the Hellion kit has been out for nearly 3 years now. They were first to market for a TT kit for our Hemi’s but now Granetelli also sells a similar setup. Honestly speaking the kit is a little high. But we have to pay for engineering.

Supercharges have gotten really expensive in the last 10 years also. If you look at say a ProCharger kit plus long tube headers and all the fuel items and tuning you need it can get pretty close.

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
2,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

The Hellion kit has been out for cars up to 2014 for that many years and now the New and Revised Street Sleeper setup will fit 2015 and up too. They just bolt on without having to modify the kit. If you wanted to fit a Hellion on a 2015 and up before, you had to mod the kit. This kit bolts right up.

I do agree that the kit is a bit high, but so is every other mod for our Challengers. Heck, coming from the GM camp before Ruby (our 2015 SRT 392), a cam could be installed on an LSx motor (parts, labor and tuning) for what it cost just for parts for a Dodge.

Supercharges have gotten really expensive in the last 10 years also. If you look at say a ProCharger kit plus long tube headers and all the fuel items and tuning you need it can get pretty close.
That is Very True!

The biggest bonus of the turbo is that you have control over boost settings if you use a good boost controller. I've seen boost controllers used on Centrifugal blowers too, but they don't work as well as they do on a turbo setup. The other bonus is that there are no belts to slip or break either and don't add any stress to the crank snout like a blower will. The last piece is that exhaust is free unlike the blower takes power to make power.

Sorry for the rant! :)

·
Premium Member
163 Posts
You make some good points and I'm starting to come around to the idea of a "sleeper" boosted Scat Pack. However I've been hearing the 6.4l don't like boost -- I'm assuming from a reliability/longevity standpoint...can anyone elaborate?

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
The 6.4 has high compression, marginal rods and the rings are located high on the pistons which make it a poor choice to add much boost.
There are plenty of kits available that offer drop in pistons and rods that make the 6.4 much more boost friendly.

The real problem is that all blowers/turbos have gotten incredibly expensive so no one really wants to spend a ton of money and only be able to use 6lbs of boost.

Because of that most people will want to factor in a bunch more money to do a forged short block so you can really use the supercharger/turbo how it was designed to be used.

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
2,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The 6.4 has high compression, marginal rods and the rings are located high on the pistons which make it a poor choice to add much boost.
There are plenty of kits available that offer drop in pistons and rods that make the 6.4 much more boost friendly.

The real problem is that all blowers/turbos have gotten incredibly expensive so no one really wants to spend a ton of money and only be able to use 6lbs of boost.

Because of that most people will want to factor in a bunch more money to do a forged short block so you can really use the supercharger/turbo how it was designed to be used.
I agree and I also think that rings that are suited (gapped) for a Naturally Aspirated motor aren't the best when installing Forced Induction. F/I makes considerably more heat than a N/A motor and when the gaps are too small, the rings butt up and have no room to expand and something has to give. It's usually a ring or first ring land on the piston.

If I were going to go to the trouble of drop in pistons (and rods too), I'd use a custom filed Sealed Power gapless steel rings in it or a set of their new gas ported rings. They seal it up nice and tight!

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
14,948 Posts
I dated one of the Hellion twins in high school...I think it was one...

A Guy

·
Premium Member
163 Posts
Thanks for all the feedback, its very helpful. Once the car is paid off (to keep wife happy) I think the route I'll go is to forge the internals via a 426 stroker kit. That along w/ cam, long-tube headers, and tune should suit my goals -- basically a NA Shaker beast. I could always add Hellions later once the internals are beefed up, eh?

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Thanks for all the feedback, its very helpful. Once the car is paid off (to keep wife happy) I think the route I'll go is to forge the internals via a 426 stroker kit. That along w/ cam, long-tube headers, and tune should suit my goals -- basically a NA Shaker beast. I could always add Hellions later once the internals are beefed up, eh?
You could add them later but your build results will be better if you know what the end results will be.
For example if staying NA you want to keep a higher compression ratio piston. Cam choice would also be different for NA vs boosted.

·
Premium Member
163 Posts
That makes sense so I'll prolly stick w/ Naturally Aspirated. Not sure I want to deal w/ reliability concerns and additional heat associated w/ turbos. It's hot enough in Texas, not to mention global warming :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts