Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys sorry if this has been asked but i searched and i couldnt find the answer so i wanted to ask

so im looking to run 18x10 +38 or +15 bore diameter 73 enkei rpf1,
so whats the difference between 5x114.3 vs 5x115, i was told that 5x114.3 will work on our challengers 5x115.

also i wanted to run a square set up 295/40/18 nitto nt05. or something close to it

im lowered on some eibach 2 inch drop.
also i will be running the ripp s/c soon that i just ordered.

thanks for input

·
Registered
2013 Challenger SXT
1,221 Posts
hey guys sorry if this has been asked but i searched and i couldnt find the answer so i wanted to ask

so im looking to run 18x10 +38 or +15 bore diameter 73 enkei rpf1,
so whats the difference between 5x114.3 vs 5x115, i was told that 5x114.3 will work on our challengers 5x115.

also i wanted to run a square set up 295/40/18 nitto nt05. or something close to it

im lowered on some eibach 2 inch drop.
also i will be running the ripp s/c soon that i just ordered.

thanks for input

I bought a set of wheels (2 rims) to try on my challenger few years back, I don't remember if I posted the results or not of what happens when you install 5x114.3 bolt pattern on the challengers 5x115.

What i did and what I found was this.

I took my factory front wheel off and I measured the studs o.d. to o.d. skipping one stud , basically how you measure bolt patterns except I just measured to the o.d. to o.d of each pairing.

What I was looking for was wheel stud movement once the IMPROPER 114.3 wheel was mounted.

So then I put the 114.3 wheel on the centering hub and I could see just with my own eyes that the studs are no longer center. I could see with my own eyes that 114.3 wheel is smaller and the studs are no longer centered- something is going to have to give.

So I continued on installing the lug nuts on the 114.3 wheel and torqued them to proper torque, I then removed the wheel and measured each pair of studs as I did the first time with my calipers.

Each pair of studs MOVED they now measure a smaller distance, the 114.3 wheels do bend the mounting studs!

I then put on my factory 5x115 wheel and torqued down the nuts and then removed the wheel, I remeasured and the studs MOVED back to there original measurements.

I personally will not run 5x114.3 wheels on my challenger after seeing the amount of stud movement, can you imagine doing this several times to the studs, maybe swapping back and forth from street set to maybe drag racing wheels that are 114.3, all your doing is bending the stud back and forth and some time the stud will break if anything you are weakening the stud.

I know some folks have been doing this for some time and have no ill effect, for me see first hand how much the studs had moved by putting on improper wheel pattern- I'm out.

Reactions: KvotheYSL21

·
Registered
50 Posts
The difference between them is .7mm which equals .0276"(that's between 1/64 and 1/32 of an inch). There is probably enough tolerance built into the lug holes to not worry about.

·
Premium Member
2016 SRT
458 Posts
The difference between them is .7mm which equals .0276"(that's between 1/64 and 1/32 of an inch). There is probably enough tolerance built into the lug holes to not worry about.
That .7mm is not a small thing that can be accepted through wheel tolerance. The lug nuts have tapers not flat lands that lie in a spotface. Those tapers will land on the inside of each hole and as was stated above “BEND” the stud.

Not a good idea.

·
Registered
50 Posts
That .7mm is not a small thing that can be accepted through wheel tolerance. The lug nuts have tapers not flat lands that lie in a spotface. Those tapers will land on the inside of each hole and as was stated above “BEND” the stud.

Not a good idea.
The OP wanted to know the difference between the two lug spacing's, that's what I gave him. And .02" is not going to "BEND" a hardened lug.

·
Registered
2013 Challenger SXT
1,221 Posts
I don't get it, some one takes the time to measure the studs before and after installing the 114.3 pattern and reports the studs do bend, then someone who never ever picked up a caliper in their life says, oh no they won't bend. Such foolishness.

Tell us what tool you used to measure your studs before and after to be so sure they don't bend, anyone with decent eye site can clearly see when the wheel is put into position the studs are no longer centered in the tapered wheel holes. You also find once you remove the 114.3 wheel you see where the lug nuts "dig" into the wheel on one side more than the other in each hole. Clearly something has to move, between eating into the wheel stud holes and the tapered nuts centering themselves causing the wheel studs to bend.

I read all about putting 114.3 wheel on my challenger, I too also thought that's not enough to make any difference, so I measured everything took note and paid attention to see what really is going on.

Ya 114.3 wheels have no place on a 115 pattern. Do as you wish, but don't go around and tell folks they don't bend studs when you have no clue.

·
Premium Member
2016 SRT
458 Posts
Thank you ddeennis. I was gonna ask him where he got his Engineering degree from. Clearly a bad idea for all the reasons you mentioned.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Try to give someone an answer and explaining the difference between the two dimensions, where did I say that he would be alright to use the smaller bolt pattern? And then to be attacked, questioning my engineering degree? Tell me, what makes you both authorities on the subject. Just because one guy tried it and seen it with his own eyes...Please don't insult my intelligence. What you were witnessing were the lugs moving where they are seated in the hub, which you proved when you put the 115 rim back on. There was no bend...have a good day

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I bought a set of wheels (2 rims) to try on my challenger few years back, I don't remember if I posted the results or not of what happens when you install 5x114.3 bolt pattern on the challengers 5x115.

What i did and what I found was this.

I took my factory front wheel off and I measured the studs o.d. to o.d. skipping one stud , basically how you measure bolt patterns except I just measured to the o.d. to o.d of each pairing.

What I was looking for was wheel stud movement once the IMPROPER 114.3 wheel was mounted.

So then I put the 114.3 wheel on the centering hub and I could see just with my own eyes that the studs are no longer center. I could see with my own eyes that 114.3 wheel is smaller and the studs are no longer centered- something is going to have to give.

So I continued on installing the lug nuts on the 114.3 wheel and torqued them to proper torque, I then removed the wheel and measured each pair of studs as I did the first time with my calipers.

Each pair of studs MOVED they now measure a smaller distance, the 114.3 wheels do bend the mounting studs!

I then put on my factory 5x115 wheel and torqued down the nuts and then removed the wheel, I remeasured and the studs MOVED back to there original measurements.

I personally will not run 5x114.3 wheels on my challenger after seeing the amount of stud movement, can you imagine doing this several times to the studs, maybe swapping back and forth from street set to maybe drag racing wheels that are 114.3, all your doing is bending the stud back and forth and some time the stud will break if anything you are weakening the stud.

I know some folks have been doing this for some time and have no ill effect, for me see first hand how much the studs had moved by putting on improper wheel pattern- I'm out.

thanks for the input, I think I will have fifteen52 custom me a set of 18's to fit the challenger..

how about tire size, you think I can get away with rocking 295/40 or 45 r 18 on all four corners? im lowered with eibach springs 1.75 inch drop.

·
Registered
2016 Jazz Blue A8 Scat
936 Posts
There are 25.4mm in an inch.

If you multiply 4.5x25.4, you get 114.3.

So 114.3mm is the same as 5 on 4.5.

115mm/25.4=4.527559...... Or 4.528 if you round up.

Since we are dealing with a circular pattern, each stud is only going to be off by half of that amount Or .014".

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
It's obvious that based on pure arithmetic and one person's experimentation, that there is a difference between these two bolt pattern (ever so small as is may be). The real questions is, under worse case stacking of tolerances (hub diameter, lug hole diameter, lug hole spacing, lug diameter, lug spacing).......would the lateral force required to "align" the lug in the hole come anywhere near any sort of stress that could cause a failure of the lug.

I have no doubt that the variances involved cannot have an effect on the centering of the wheel (using the correct hub spacer) and that vibration and ride are not an issue. These lugs are pretty beefy and I would assume of and appriopriate hardness AND flexibility for their designed purpose.

I cannot fathom how the lateral force caused by a fraction of a millimeter misalignment could compromise the integrity of a lug.

Then there's the "liability" issue. Don't you think that if lugs were snapping and wheels were flying off of cars, that after market wheel manufacturers would have been sued into submission and would never EVER be able to claim that 114.3 fits 115? It's not like this is a new issue. They've been selling wheels like this for years.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts