Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I traded my Scat Pack in last week on a Alfa Romeo Giulia (AWD TI Sport).

Something important to note is this is the platform the new Chargers and Challengers will be built on. So its almost like I'm beta testing it for all of you.

I must say, its a very impressive car. The biggest complaint owners have is lack of ability to disable traction control in the non-Quadrifoglio cars (Quadrifoglio has a 'race' mode which mostly disables it).

Even with the sport suspension the ride is super smooth. The AWD is there, but you roll in RWD mode till its needed. It comes on very quickly though, making it near impossible to get squirrely around a corner. Weight is light (3000 lbs) especially compared to the challenger. Apparently the AWD system has made it very difficult to Dyno, but those who have succeeded say it is very underrated at factory number of 280hp. It really does feel faster than that, but that might just be the light weight affecting the old butt dyno.

The transmission is a similar 8 speed to what FCA is using elsewhere.. but they've done some extra work in there. It shifts way faster that the other 8/9 speed ZFs I've driven. Has nice metal paddles mounted on the steering column.

The DNA (Dynamic, Natural, Advance Efficiency) drive modes actually make a gigantic difference in performance as far as throttle response and transmissions behaviors. In A mode I've been able to get 39 MPG on a commute with city, freeway and even some stop and go traffic.

The one thing so far lacking is wide availability of aftermarket goodies. There are some, but due to the small number of competitors the prices are a bit high($500 for a pretty standard cone intake). There are some piggyback ECU modules that have had some success at getting a car to over 330HP. There is an actual ECU tune on the way that is supposed to be better than that as far as across the range improvements.

Overall, I'd say everyone should be VERY excited about the future platform which the Challenger/Chargers will live on. I could see myself buying a new one in the future on this new platform for sure.

If anyone has specific questions glad to answer.

Attachments

·
Registered
2016 Jazz Blue A8 Scat
691 Posts
I've heard that the LX cars may NOT be built on the Giulia now.

The Quad is a bad foglio!

I haven't looked at the lower trim levels, but will now.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Very nice car, love that blue. If they would let us order those for company cars, I would love to try one.

I believe the next gen Charger/Challenger are going to be on the Giorgio platform which is a little bigger than the Giulia.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Very nice car, love that blue. If they would let us order those for company cars, I would love to try one.

I believe the next gen Charger/Challenger are going to be on the Giorgio platform which is a little bigger than the Giulia.
We're both right. The Guilia was the first car(and now the Stelvio is also) built on the Giorgio platform.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)

I had not heard this till now. Did some googling, saw a few pages in september stating they may use the Maserati Ghibli as a platform.

I hope that is not true. Much heavier. Older. I think its actually also a relative of the LX already from way back... would seem to be a cop out to stay on that.

I would probably not revisit a new challenger if it goes that direction.

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
I was able to drive a new Quadrifoglio around for a while, it was quite impressive! All things considered though, I'd take a Hellcat with some money leftover for extra tires.

·
Registered
491 Posts
You got guts! great cars!

I looked at the Quad last year the same time my sibling car was in for random shut offs on a Fiat. The dealer assured me they could "fix anything" .........bought that car back 4 months later. They didnt even have the trace equipment too look at the Canbus and they been selling Fiat for 2 years. Also told my sibling that the car was the only one they seen like that but when the deal was done there were 6 in the lot for the rep to look at for buybacks.

·
Registered
194 Posts
No offense, but you lost me at 4 doors.

·
Super Moderator
15,381 Posts

The MY '21 Challenger replacement will be off the platform that the Ghibli [M157] and Quattroporte [M156] use.

the Ghibli platform is a shortened version of the Quattroporte. The engine bay is for the Ghibli has a V6 and and the Quattroporte has V6 and V8 models.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
The MY '21 Challenger replacement will be off the platform that the Ghibli [M157] and Quattroporte [M156] use.

the Ghibli platform is a shortened version of the Quattroporte. The engine bay is for the Ghibli has a V6 and and the Quattroporte has V6 and V8 models.
Only problem with that, is that the Ghibli as of now rides on a modded LX platform. It will move over to the Giorgio platform first, then the new Challengers/Chargers will follow suit.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
15,381 Posts
Only problem with that, is that the Ghibli as of now rides on a modded LX platform. It will move over to the Giorgio platform first, then the new Challengers/Chargers will follow suit.

In Nov 2016 it was forecasted to be the Giorgio platform (Guilia, Stelvio)

In Sep 2017 that was changed and now will use the Ghibli
and correct, the Quattroporte platform borrowed the LX platform and then had Maserati suspension modules for front & rear instead of the LX versions...

Here's the articles that came out Fall 2017 about the switch:

Rumor: Dodge Challenger and Charger Redesigns Delayed Until 2021 Due to New Platform | The News Wheel

FCA to use Maserati platform for next Dodge Challenger, Charger - LeftLaneNews

https://www.motorauthority.com/news/1112767_next-dodge-challenger-charger-to-ride-on-maserati-platform-arrive-in-2021

Next Dodge Charger, Challenger To Adopt Maserati Platform?

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/maserati-platform-to-underpin-next-gen-dodge-charger-and-challenger-from-2021-120495.html

Dodge Challenger and Charger to Adopt Maserati Platform » AutoGuide.com News

http://www.autonews.com/article/20170918/OEM04/170919784/dodge-future-product

https://www.thetorquereport.com/dodge/next-gen-dodge-challenger-charger-maserati-ghibli-parts/

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Ok, so it's going to move to the Ghibli platform which is just a modded LX Platform. So basically no new platform, same heavy car. But the Ghibli is moving to Giorgio. The Challengers/Chargers have to lose around 550 pounds. I am just saying info that I have heard and read.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts