Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to purchase a used Challenger in the 2009-2011 year range. I have a few questions.

Did the 6CYL models come in manual transmissions? I'm mainly looking to purchase a daily driver / cruising vehicle and not looking to really mod anything. I am also eyeing the R/T model, but price is everything in this case.

Second - are there any known issues I need to be aware of for the first couple of years this was released? Things I should look for when car hunting?

:thanks:

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
I am looking to purchase a used Challenger in the 2009-2011 year range. I have a few questions.

Did the 6CYL models come in manual transmissions? I'm mainly looking to purchase a daily driver / cruising vehicle and not looking to really mod anything. I am also eyeing the R/T model, but price is everything in this case.

Second - are there any known issues I need to be aware of for the first couple of years this was released? Things I should look for when car hunting?

:thanks:
Welcome to ChallengerTalk!

No, V6 Challengers have the Auto transmission only. All trims had some minor changes in 2011. These include interior, suspension, front bumper and rims.

Many R/T's had experienced a timing chain failure, this is limited to the Auto's only because of the MDS (Multi-Displacement System) that deactivates four cylinders to save fuel. There have been no reported failures on manual R/T's and there has been updated parts that went into 2012+ R/Ts during production. There are no reported failures on 2012+ models. Visit the timing chain thread in "Challenger Issues and Problems".

These are great cars, I can't think of a better cruiser myself! You get the power, the looks and the comfort!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Ah yes to clarify - I will not buy an automatic transmission.

It has to be a manual - and standard at that - none of that shift-tronic garbage. :browsmiley:

So I am pretty much limited to an R/T as a base model it seems. Good to know.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Ah yes to clarify - I will not buy an automatic transmission.

It has to be a manual - and standard at that - none of that shift-tronic garbage. :browsmiley:

So I am pretty much limited to an R/T as a base model it seems. Good to know.
You can't go wrong with an R/T though. A whole level above the V6's. Just the feeling of a Hemi is enough to make a person feel all giddy inside.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Go for the RT..I bought a 12 rallye redline and traded it in for a 14 Blacktop RT 15 months later, main reason was not knowing how cheap I could have gotten an RT the first time, but oh well all is fine now. The 3.6 was excellent but its hard to stop that itch once it begins. Its my daily driver also, you will love the challenger regardless.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes the prices are not bad.

Used RT's from the first years average about 60k miles and go for around $20,000.

Does this sound about right from what Ive seen?

·
Administrator
17,155 Posts
Welcome aboard! :) You will find a wealth of knowledge on this forum.

·
Registered
7,268 Posts
Welcome to CT :)

·
Registered
426 Posts
Yes the prices are not bad.

Used RT's from the first years average about 60k miles and go for around $20,000.

Does this sound about right from what Ive seen?
Probably around that. Mine is an '11 and had 26k miles on it. Bought it for ~$28k.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 11 of 11 Posts