Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm looking at a 2009 SRT8 Challenger it's got 85000 miles on it right now but it's very tastefully modded with one thing i'm not sure about and 2 things I don't know how to fix.

TA style hood
Lowered on coil over and springs (or so I've been told)
upgraded stabalizer bar (again according to the dealer)
Running on Nitto TR555 275 rear 245 front staggered set up (needs new tires for sure)
SLP loudmouth muffelerless exhaust

So this car looks likes it been set up for some hard driving and I'm okay with that.

There are two things I cannot figure out.

1 The lights are on ABS, TC, ESP/BAS is this a normal thing or a pulled fuse for burnouts and hard launches?
2 I have no Blower heating or cooling. I've heard of removing the AC to not rob the motor of HP, but the heater is new. Is this common and how hard is this to reverse. I would be using this as a Daily Driver.

The car was PA and NJ owned, would expect a car like this to have a home in a forum like this.

Thank you in advance
:grin2:

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
23,606 Posts
Welcome from California ;)

The lights are on ABS, TC, ESP/BAS is this a normal thing or a pulled fuse for burnouts and hard launches?

Most commonly a wheel speed sensor, easily fixed once you figure out which of 4 it is. Of course, that's the most common, there could be other less benign causes.

This is at a dealer? Have them fix these issues as part of the deal ;)

A Guy

·
Registered
2018 Hellcat. 2017 Scatpack.
2,292 Posts
ALL dealers try to prep a car, tidey up and repair minor issues before placing it on a lot, so as to present a car in the best possible way to appeal to as many buyers as possible...so why didnt the dealer take care of these issues if they are as minor as replacing a pulled fuse??? hmmm.
Could it be these problems lay deeper or cost more than the dealer was willing to go? (ie; cost wasnt worth it to address and repair it)
are you buying for a track toy? or daily driver?
if its the later, Id say, this car could turn out to be a major headache, with 85k on the Odo, and set up for hard driving which its had many of no doubt, I bet others things are starting to go and previous owner dumped it knowing the clock was ticking..
too many of these cars out there to throw good money into a bad one. jmho

·
Super Moderator
14,919 Posts
Welcome from California ;)

The lights are on ABS, TC, ESP/BAS is this a normal thing or a pulled fuse for burnouts and hard launches? Most commonly a wheel speed sensor, easily fixed once you figure out which of 4 it is. Of course, that's the most common, there could be other less benign causes.A Guy
I agree with A Guy. I had the same problem with my 2009 SRT and it was the wheel sensor. Easy fix.

·
Registered
2015 Challenger R/T Plus 8 Speed
7,613 Posts
I agree with A Guy. I had the same problem with my 2009 SRT and it was the wheel sensor. Easy fix.
And if it is a short in the wiring or worse yet, removed components are you willing to help him fix it?

If you really want this car, If you are friends with someone who is a manager at a Midas or other shop, (I am), or owns his own garage, (I have a couple of these), where you can take it and have it inspected BEFORE buying it, I would not buy it unless, the price is so low you can't turn it down (10k or less).

I do not understand why a dealership would have a vehicle with a light on (even ABS) for sale on his lot. They have a staff of Mechanics, you mean they did not look at the car and determine what was wrong with it before taking it in on trade? If they could not or would not fix it before putting it on the lot, they should have just sent it to auction.

I would bet the Dealer gave too much for it as a trade and is now hoping to find someone to pay too much to take it off of their hands.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Does anybody ever take a used car to a shop before buying it anymore??!! I would never buy a used car - especially a high performance one without doing it. If the dealership selling it won't let you take it to an independent shop for evaluation - run from it. Buyer BEWARE!!!

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
23,606 Posts
Not every used car is sold at a dealer. There are a ton of used car sites.

I agree that unless the price is low to reflect the possible issues, and you know someone who can fix them, and at what cost, it's not worth the hassle. A mechanic will probably charge $100 (?) or so to give it a once over and advise before buying

A Guy

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
Will try to answer question #2 about the HVAC. As a former owner of a 2009 SRT8 I had problems with the HVAC controls twice. First time under warranty and the second time the dealer replaced at no-charge. Do you know that components were removed? And why? Would agree with other comments that you should walk away from this one.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I wouldn't touch that car with a 10 foot pole. There is no telling how messed up that is with all those errors and repairs could be hugely expensive. Better yet buy a 2010 or later, it'll have some drive line upgrades that 2009 doesn't have. In my Automotive career I've seen many cars like that one and almost all of them turned out to be a Nightmare for the new owner. There is a good reason why this is being sold with those problems and the seller would have fixed them before offering it for sale if the repairs didn't cost an arm and a leg.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Won't you need to get a smog check/inspection before you can transfer the title? Here in California, you won't pass that test with warning lights on. Too many issues to deal with, unless you have time and money to throw into a possible money pit.

Find another, newer, Challenger.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts