Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone I thought I would join this forum to learn about the Challenger. I currently don't own a Challenger but I am interested in getting one. Right now I am about to graduate college and I already have a job lined up. Needless to say I want to buy a newer car possibly. I have a 2003 Ford Mustang GT 5 speed manual right now with 133,000 miles on it. I bought the car with 68,000 miles my senior year in high school, I have always had dreams about supercharging the car and making it run 12's at the dragstrip. Now though the car is getting to its age where I'm worried about pushing high numbers through the stock motor and trans.

Anyways I think I could afford a 2010-2012 SRT8 used with the six speed manual or I could get a newer R/T Challenger. I do like the new interior a lot on the 2015 Challengers but Im one of those guys that likes the motor over interior stuff. So thats why I like the SRT8 option.

A bunch of my friends own Mustangs and they are all against me getting a Challenger, they usually respond to its slow and heavy. I kinda want something other than a Mustang bc everyone has one. Im just not very familiar with the 6.1L and 5.7L motors. Ideally I would like to have a Challenger that can shut my Mustang friends up but I know a R/T in stock form against my buddies 2014 5.0 will spank me. He is currently running 12.1's at 117mph at the 1/4 mile. He has an o/r exhaust, a tune and some really sticky tires.

Sorry for the super long post but there is a lot on my mind and I thought I would join a Challenger forum. I really want one and if I can shut my buddies up and prove them wrong Id be happy hah.

Here is a picture of my current car if anyone wants to see.

·
Administrator
17,155 Posts
Welcome aboard! :) You will find a wealth of knowledge on this forum.

Reactions: Xplicit_One

·
Registered
2014 SRT Core
10,277 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I have a 2014 with the 392 Hemi which has currently run a best of 12.28 and before that I had an R/T which did a best of 12.87 with just a few minor bolt on's. Of course if you are willing to mod the car the sky's the limit, a friend of mine recently put twin turbos on and even running a fairly low boost went 10.4 @ over 130 mph. Mustang and Camaro guys like to make fun of the Challenger because it's a bit bigger than they are, but funny thing is I've racked up a lot of wins over them at the track and I can do it while enjoying what is IMO a more comfortable and better looking car. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Welcome aboard! :) You will find a wealth of knowledge on this forum.
Thank you, I hope I can buy one of these cars soon!

Welcome to the forum. I have a 2014 with the 392 Hemi which has currently run a best of 12.28 and before that I had an R/T which did a best of 12.87 with just a few minor bolt on's. Of course if you are willing to mod the car the sky's the limit, a friend of mine recently put twin turbos on and even running a fairly low boost went 10.4 @ over 130 mph. Mustang and Camaro guys like to make fun of the Challenger because it's a bit bigger than they are, but funny thing is I've racked up a lot of wins over them at the track and I can do it while enjoying what is IMO a more comfortable and better looking car. :thumbsup:
Thanks 70baracuda I appreciate the response! I really just want a different car, I don't see very many Challengers compared to the number of Mustangs and Camaros out there.
Also the weight and size of the car is the main reason they don't recommend getting one. I still don't care, when I see one of these cars I love the way they look.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I also test drove a Scat Pack Challenger at the auto show this past February. I got to feel how the car drove and handled, I was really impressed with it. however I'm a small guy (5'7) tall and I felt a little small inside the car. I loved the engine and the interior was really nice compared to the 2008-2013's. The only thing I don't like about it was the auto trans (if I get one I want a stick shift) and the sticker price, most dealers are marking them at around 42-45k and I can't afford a car at that price at the moment. I more than likely can get a 2010-2014 R/T and maybe a SRT8 but I don't know if its possible.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Welcome aboard. I had a 2007 Dodge Charger R/T and while I really liked that car it needed more power. I just traded the Charger in and purchased a 2013 Challenger 392 SRT - 6 speed manual. I love this car. I love the way it looks, the power is intoxicating and for being a big car, it handles pretty well, especially when you put it in "sport mode".

If you are going to get a Challenger, and I certainly recommend it, I would look into getting a 2011 or 2012 SRT 392. The price may be a little lower, but more importantly you get the 6.4L Hemi with 470 horsepower and the adjustable suspension. With a set of sticky tires, I bet you would have no problem running in the low 12s.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2015 Scat Pack
279 Posts
Get a 2011 or 12 for the 392. If your friends want to talk about how big the car is ask them how many girls can they fit in a Mustang or Camaro. If they want to call it slow just race them.

If I was you id find a 2011 Toxic Orange with black rally stripes. Then powder coat the wheels to match the stripes.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts