• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
81 - 100 of 300 Posts

·
Registered
On Order - 2020 Scat Pack Hellraisin Shaker
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
Glad my car was built late November 2019. BEFORE employees have to relearn how to do their jobs with 6 foot extensions or some other made up “safety precaution. 2020’s built after March should be examined closely.
I dunno. IMO, the ones that sat on the assembly line unfinished for two months are due a double check.

My dealer said the "Chrysler rep" said (yeah, I know, third hand info) the line was running at 40% capacity initially, and then would go to 80%. Makes sense as they are starting at one shift on May 19th, and then going to two shifts on the 25th. Either way it sounds like the line is running 80% normal speed to allow for the placement & removal of the various shields between work stations (ie: splitting the engine compartment in half).

Is that good or bad? Sheesh, I dunno. It could impact quality either way. Is it more time to get the job done right? Or is it such a disruption details will be missed? Trust me, if my car comes through the line and it is a Covid lemon, I'll let y'all know. :cautious:

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
Any distraction in the workplace can have consequences.
I completely agree. Especially if the 'distraction' has long legs and big.....errrr....nevermind. o_O

However, I don't think installing a temporary partition in to an engine compartment is a distraction. I think it is simply the new way of doing the job.

I can see a potential for issues on the first few cars through the line as the kinks are ironed out. But after a day or two it will just be the way the routine is done.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
Spoke to my dealer today since Brampton re-opened for production. Car is at D1 status. Estimated ship date has moved up from 6/15 to 6/12. I am presuming that means 'ship to the upfitter' and not 'ship to the dealer'.

I'll keep y'all posted....Because as I said in my first post, everyone should be as excited about this as I am. LOL! :rolleyes:

-Eric

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
17,972 Posts
It will be interesting to see your cars progress as a gauge of how they do in production after the layoff and new realities

A Guy

·
Registered
2020 HellRaisin 1320
217 Posts
So my update....
Chatted with Dodge and didn't really get much new, just this
The system is currently displaying that:
  • All of the materials needed to start the build process have been received
  • The vehicle should be entering the build process very soon
I asked them about estimated dates and they said they don't have any.

I spoke with the sales manager at my dealer today about it too (my sales guy left so I'm dealing directly with the Sales managers now). He said basically the same thing, it's in D1 status..again...at one point it went back to D and then got re-sequenced to D1.

I talked to him for a bit about the situation and dates. He said he doesn't have any and usually he doesn't see any estimated dates until it actually starts the build process. I talked to him about other people with orders..aka you emicheal! lol... and a couple other people I've talked to who have been given a 'make date'. Without knowing all the facts, he believes those are educated guesses made by the sales people since a car in D1 status doesn't usually have any dates. He then said that the earliest ship dates he's seeing right now on cars that have just started the build process are around June 9th-15th.

Take the info for what it's worth. He gave me his personal cell and told me I can bug him every day if I wanted to lol
In the meantime I'll keep trying to get daily updates myself at least through Dodge.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
....Without knowing all the facts, he believes those are educated guesses made by the sales people since a car in D1 status doesn't usually have any dates....Take the info for what it's worth. ....
That is really interesting. I did not get the impression my sales guy was making up the information. He is the one who brought it up with something like "Oh, I see they are now saying a ship date of the 12th, I think it said the 15th the last time we spoke." He was clearly referring to a date in the a computer and not hedging with something like "I guess it will be about....".

When I was first shopping, all the local dealerships had a special guy who did the special orders. And the one local dealership I managed to get a quote from the special guy still had trouble with the system (he could not complete the quote without requiring brass monkey wheels). When I reached out to my rep with Dave Smith and asked who I needed to talk to for a special order, he just laughed and said he had done six in the past month.

My thinking is twofold.... As a high volume dealer, maybe they have more visibility in to the system versus other dealers. Or, as a high volume dealer who routinely does special orders, my sales rep simply knows where to look in the system for all the information. That seems more plausible to me.

To be perfectly candid... I work in tech. With the exception of the dealer I am buying from, I got the distinct impression the sales people are non-technical and are mystified by the computer systems. I suspect most don't know where to look for the information and are afraid to even try. (I admit I am totally generalizing here, so don't jump on me for that comment.)

It will be interesting to see your cars progress as a gauge of how they do in production after the layoff and new realities
Yup, it will. That's one of the reasons I am chronicling the story here. :)

Take the info for what it's worth. He gave me his personal cell and told me I can bug him every day if I wanted to lol....
Oh, the urge is strong to be 'that guy' and call my sales rep every day. LOL! Yeah, it is a bummer there is no customer-facing portal where special orders can be tracked. That really is the norm in this day and age - like how we all monitor our orders on Amazon.

I plan to make my next check with the sales rep on June 1st. That is a key date. If the VIN has been assigned, then I am locked in to the Power Dollars rebate. If not and the VIN is assigned later in June, then I have the option to take whatever rebates are available at that time - which may be better than Power Dollars.

·
Registered
2020 HellRaisin 1320
217 Posts
There's one thing that seems weird to me with what you just said, if your car is in D1 status, it should already have had the VIN assigned. I'd call the dealer or maybe Dodge to look into that. From reading through other people's orders, the VIN being assigned is usually one of the first things to happen well before going into D1. I literally got my VIN within 3 days of placing my order back in February

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #90
There's one thing that seems weird to me with what you just said, if your car is in D1 status, it should already have had the VIN assigned.
Ding, ding! We have a winner! I called the SRT line. It took about five minutes for the nice lady to figure out the 8-digit VON as she was expecting 2-alpha + 6-digit format. Needed my name and model year. Then she was able to confirm the status as D1. She also was able to give me my VIN. She also confirmed an estimated June 12th ship date. She could not, however, define whether that was 'ship from factory to upfitter' or 'ship to dealer'.

Ran it through the VIN Decoder and it looks like they got the base package right since it starts with 2C3CDZFJ.

So how long after you got your VIN did the window sticker appear on-line?

·
Registered
2020 HellRaisin 1320
217 Posts
Well that's interesting. sounds like your car might be ahead of mine somehow....what link are you using?
Here's mine with my VIN, but from what I've read, it doesn't populate until the car is being built, so mine is still blank. Almost sounds like if there were a status between D1 and E you're it....Happy for you and Hate you at the same time if thats the case lol

·
Registered
14,414 Posts
Just keep checking the build sheet, when it's built the build sheet show up.

When the window sticker shows up its KZ and finished with the Upfitter and ready to go to dealer.

COMPLETE VIN

ALL CAPS

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
No window sticker for me yet. I have been hitting a different URL on Dodge, but I suspect they both pull from the same database.

https://www.dodge.com/hostd/windowsticker/getWindowStickerPdf.do?vin=2C3CDZFJ0LH178503

Hmmm.... Your URL reads "BuildSheet" instead of "WindowSticker". Differences: Build sheet and window sticker for the same vehicle. Notice how both URLs are "Dodge" but the vehicle is a Jeep. A single FCA database on the back end.

Nope, I don't think I'm ahead of you. Your VIN sequence is over 22k lower than mine. That is, I assume that is a build sequence number. A quick Google search shows that Brampton is capable of producing 1,000 vehicles per-day. With the virus putting them at 80% capacity, that means around 28 production days between yours and mine - again assuming they are built in numerical order. That doesn't jive with the estimated 6/12 ship date on mine...unless that is an 'optimistic estimate' to placate the buyer, LOL.

No doubt about it, this will be an interesting timeline to watch unfold. :cool:

·
Premium Member
3,724 Posts
No window sticker for me yet. I have been hitting a different URL on Dodge, but I suspect they both pull from the same database.

https://www.dodge.com/hostd/windowsticker/getWindowStickerPdf.do?vin=2C3CDZFJ0LH178503

Hmmm.... Your URL reads "BuildSheet" instead of "WindowSticker". Differences: Build sheet and window sticker for the same vehicle. Notice how both URLs are "Dodge" but the vehicle is a Jeep. A single FCA database on the back end.

Nope, I don't think I'm ahead of you. Your VIN sequence is over 22k lower than mine. That is, I assume that is a build sequence number. A quick Google search shows that Brampton is capable of producing 1,000 vehicles per-day. With the virus putting them at 80% capacity, that means around 28 production days between yours and mine - again assuming they are built in numerical order. That doesn't jive with the estimated 6/12 ship date on mine...unless that is an 'optimistic estimate' to placate the buyer, LOL.

emichael: ping me when you get yours, I'd like to check it out!

·
Registered
2020 HellRaisin 1320
217 Posts
That's for sure.

I don't think they're truly built in numerical order...maybe per package, but not per challenger. Then again, I really have no idea and just making assumptions here.

I say that because there have been people who've ordered their Challenger AFTER I got my VIN, yet they already have their car and I don't. I also just did a search for other Hellraisin Challengers on cars.com. Found several with higher number VINs ending with 156959, 157233, 159608 and 159659, and they have actual pictures of them on the lots so they're not those "in transport" listings.

Plus, if there's any truth to the rumor that sold ordered vehicles have priority over plain dealer stock vehicles, then the VINs will be even more out of order

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #96
Nothing like a good mystery to spark some Google searching. Bottom line up front... I cannot find anything that definitively states the last six digits of the VIN are the order in which vehicles are built. The closest I have found is...

"Sequence Number Assigned by Assembly Plant" Here.
FCA "Plant Sequence Number" Here.
"The remaining six digits are the vehicle's serial number, which are assigned sequentially based upon production order with the first vehicle being 100001" Here.
"This number could indicate the sequence in which a vehicle came off the assembly line. Since there is no fixed standard for this number, each manufacturer may use this number differently. " Here.

I think the last one is the most likely by stating there is no fixed standard.

Loosely related... No doubt manufacturing methods have dramatically changed over the years. It used to be the VIN contained a serial number which could be traced to a specific production date based on the 'end of shift' vehicle number. In other interests, I have a '57 Chevy. The tri-five production records are available out on the Internet and I looked up my VIN. Surprisingly my VIN was on the list as the final vehicle off the assembly line at the end of the shift - on Valentine's Day 1957 at the Oakland, CA assembly plant.

Just taking a guess... I am sure the VIN on modern vehicles can be traced to a specific build date. However instead of that being a stringent sequential numbering system it is more likely a reference to a database - one we don't have access to outside FCA.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #98
Not Dodge related but auto assembly line related, Ford already shut down a plant on the second day it was open because someone tested positive for coronavirus.
Seems odd. I thought the whole purpose of testing was to detect the virus and not admit the affected employee. Although I suppose it is possible they tested clean yesterday and positive today, thus triggering the reaction.

That news article is long on fear and short on facts. What is the false positive rate on the test? Was the employee actually symptomatic, or was the response based strictly off the test results? Was a re-test done to confirm the results? Did the employee's doctor provide confirmation? However, the article did quote three employees who are scared.

I suspect we will continue to see more of this across the world as businesses return to work. Let's say the test is 99.99% accurate. That means 1 in 10,000 tests gets it wrong. Brampton has around 3,200 employees according to Wikipedia. The quick math suggests a bad result every three days at that rate. And I think 99.99% accuracy is being very generous, it is likely a lot lower.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
17,972 Posts
You can't ignore a positive test, you have to react as if it's valid. Whether a person is asymptomatic or not will not confirm whether actually infected, you again have to treat it as if they are. With a second test, you still need to react as if the test will be positive again. If it's negative, now which test was faulty? A third test may provide the answer based on which result, but again, until that result is known, and everyone who came in contact with that person are tested, no one can be sure a hot spot hasn't been created.

If the individual tests negative on 2 additional tests, that should be sufficient to resume production. If not, along with that individual being quarantined, they may well have to quarantine a number of others who had direct contact, as well as extra disinfecting, etc.

This is going to be our new reality for a while. It may seem like overkill, but you've no doubt read about the congregation where 70 something members were infected by spending hours in an enclosed area with someone infected. The scientists are now thinking that the virus is mostly spread by respiratory particles in the air, rather than on surfaces. This is better if so, but it still means all those infected were infected just that way.

If everyone wears a mask, these risks go way down

A Guy

·
Registered
160 Posts
My daughter has a friend who has been off work for at least 2 months. She's been tested 5 times & needs 2 negative tests in a row in order to go back to work. But every other test is positive. Makes me wonder how accurate the tests are.

81 - 100 of 300 Posts