Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
The Pork Wagon (‘14 Cop Charger)
8,002 Posts
How in the world did that happen? Did you park to close to a parking block and then separated the bumper shell while backing up/off the parking block?

I've never seen something like that happen that wasn't part of an impact or collision or something, so I don't have much in the way of suggestions on how to prevent future occurrences...other than the obvious - don't do whatever you did just prior to noticing this. ?

Reactions: CTDeez

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I’m a regional manager for GE Mercy Hospitals. I travel a lot. I believe it was someone either from the hotel and at the hospital while I was unattended. The lip is still pristine, along with everything else.. the license plate and cover on the front was pushed into the number slightly bent and cracked. I’ve been looking up ways to repair it all night, I just don’t want it reported because my DMV is perfect as insurance as well. Haha. Thank you for reolying. Brb I guess I need to find my fist for me arse.

·
Premium Member
8,002 Posts
I don't know if it's the white paint or my 6 year old laptop screen, but i cannot make out any damage other than the bumper skin being pulled away from the grill's base plastic piece. For that, are you able to just push it back into the grill and snap it back into place, or is there some damage behind the bumper skin preventing that?

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
This damage doesn't just happen. Your car was hit and the force popped the clips behind the bumper. The way you fix it is to remove the bumper, inspect for damage, replace damage found if any, reassemble bumper.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It looks like it was pressed at the bottom after all. This is where the license plate cover pressed in against the bumper as well.
Maybe I’ll try and jack it up and see if it’s pushed part of the bumper under and it caught on something. Maybe moving it forward from the bottom will allow it to form back in place.
wow see it’s cracked here in the grill partly. Wtf. No idea what this could be from, it could be raining pu**y and I’d still get hit with a D. ??‍♂?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I constantly on call unfortunately I have no time to remove the bumper properly.
Appreciate your response as well! I was hoping for some sort of quick fix but as a Dr. I should know better. I’ll post back with what I ended up doing or what the shop had to do. Keep the comments coming if any alternate ideas are discovered. Thanks again everyone!

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
You can see the hit and you can see how the bumper was ripped out of the clips as they dragged across the clip mounts on the bumper. You have an insurance claim on your hands. Someone hit your car and then left the scene.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So I temporarily made it incognito. Permanent marker on the clips after I detailed the front ... my front passenger lip (see first photo in this latest post.) it’s pushed in as well. I just don’t see how they didn’t leave any curb marks on the number anywhere on anything. Just trying to imagine what type of vehicle, granted the stock 19’ RT is very low stock.

·
Premium Member
8,002 Posts
Yeah, someone definitely smacked into it, those last shots show the damage much better.

Are there no surveillance cameras nearby that you could try to review the footage of the day of the incident and see if you can identify a culprit or some likely culprits?

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Before you make that insurance claim........I'd ask local people you know, who would know of an independent body shop that would fix this for cash out of pocket.

With a little luck it can be done at a reasonable price.

If it were my car this would be the goals have in mind:

1. I don;t want anything on a car fax.......so not making an insurance claim and not having it recorded as an accident anywhere that the car fax could pick up.

2. Insurance rates. Protecting your clean record is always worth it assuming it can be done for a reasonable price. I'm a big advocate of the $1,000 deductible..........simple reason for this goes beyond just lowering rates. In the end I'm always going to pay out of pocket for small damage that is my fault........no way to make those small claims and not have it cost you far more in higher rates later.......and of course claiming anything for an insurance payout will be recorded such that a car fax will pick it up for sure......we all know what that does when you want to sell or trade.

This sucks and it's one of those many reasons to chose parking spots carefully and even then cross your fingers for luck when ever you car is parked away from the safety of your home garage.

Good luck with how-ever you choose to handle this.......hopefully what ever damage is hiding under that cover isn't too extensive to avoid a clam.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Kind of looks like when they ran my nose first on the ramps to do the oil change at the dealership.

Did you remove the license plate bracket?

The front has alot plastic I had to do some minor repairs last month when I ran over a dead dog. But what the damage the dealer did, alot of parts had to be replaced especially the front cf air splitter

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
8,002 Posts
You should get a camera. The movement would have turned the camera on and you might have caught the perp.
That functionality is nice for a situation like this, but it can be a real kick in the groin in other, non-hit & run situations. I actually keep the motion detection setting turned off on my dash cam so it doesn't fill up the memory card with videos of me washing the car, me working on the car, or cars driving in front of the house (when I'm backed into the driveway).

More than once I went to pull some footage off the cam's memory card only to find it not there because it had been written over with high definition video of me emptying my homemade catch can and detailing the engine bay while I'm in there.

You'd think that's the sort of thing the shock sensor functionality would take care of (as long as I'm drunk and banging into my car while I'm working on it), but nope, I have turned that off as well. It turns out that functionality cannot tell the difference between a collision with another car and a hard bass note from my stereo system. Which means one good pass through the Tool folder on my music drive, and I've got a memory card full of write-protected video files which cannot be written over with new footage.

Just to be clear, I'm not preaching against the use of a dash cam, as one would have certainly been useful here. But they are not a panacea for some folks like myself, who choose to live their lives irresponsibly and without regard for sensible decisions. :p

Reactions: CTDeez

·
Registered
26 Posts
Bumper removal on the Challengers is pretty easy. Many great you tube videos on the proper way. Unfortunately, it sounds like time is a rare commodity in your life, so... Here in NY (not sure where you are and if you've got em there), we have lots of small work body shops. The kind that focus on door dings, bumper hits, etc. If you don't k ow of any, check with a few small wholesale car dealers near you. They always "have a guy" for this kind of stuff because it's a common find on many per-loved (I mean used) car they sell. Typically bumpers are relatively inexpensive to repair and a "guy" like I'm talking about typically doesn't report his work to DMV or an insurance database as it's a cash business. In NY, there is a threshold for "reportable" accidents, which includes in excess of $1k damage to any one vehicle involved, or personal injury. Depending on your state laws, it looks to me that you'd be well within your rights to take care of it on your own. ;)

I constantly on call unfortunately I have no time to remove the bumper properly. View attachment 981465 Appreciate your response as well! I was hoping for some sort of quick fix but as a Dr. I should know better. I’ll post back with what I ended up doing or what the shop had to do. Keep the comments coming if any alternate ideas are discovered. Thanks again everyone!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I don't know why Dodge did not put a sensor up front I have a hard time judging the distance of that spoiler to the curb I'm actually going to be looking into seeing what it will take to get a sensor put in up front to eliminate that guesswork I used to have a 750 BMW that had sensors front and rear it was a big help

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
I don't know why Dodge did not put a sensor up front I have a hard time judging the distance of that spoiler to the curb I'm actually going to be looking into seeing what it will take to get a sensor put in up front to eliminate that guesswork I used to have a 750 BMW that had sensors front and rear it was a big help
I bought the Brandmotion 5000 but it's a pain since the front spoiler is low enough and this sensor is mounted under it which reduces the clearance by at least 1.5 inches. It came off twice just during hard rain and light snow. I went to a car shop and they wanted over $800. I figure it's cheaper to just replace the it if you do the labor the parts is under $150...

·
Registered
10 Posts
I bought the Brandmotion 5000 but it's a pain since the front spoiler is low enough and this sensor is mounted under it which reduces the clearance by at least 1.5 inches. It came off twice just during hard rain and light snow. I went to a car shop and they wanted over $800. I figure it's cheaper to just replace the it if you do the labor the parts is under $150...
Thanks I looked up the sensor looks pretty simple to install myself going to be looking into the 5000 - CA5 150.00 is cheaper then replacing that spoiler

·
Registered
26 Posts
Lee, I couldn't agree more. I have a 2012 SRT Yellow Jacket Challenger and can't understand how they had no backup cam on these cars from day one. I recently installed a backup cam and have a front cam to install over the winter. It really was a breeze and I integrated it into the U Connect RHR 730N OEM head unit. Looks like it came from the factory. It included a replacement license plate light and cam assembly in one unit and installed where the license plate light was.

The front cam will plug right into the lower grille, right above the spoiler and will also have the colored grid lines to help gauge distance.

They do have OEM type aftermarket sensor kits that are a breeze to install. Here's a few to check out.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Lee, I couldn't agree more. I have a 2012 SRT Yellow Jacket Challenger and can't understand how they had no backup cam on these cars from day one. I recently installed a backup cam and have a front cam to install over the winter. It really was a breeze and I integrated it into the U Connect RHR 730N OEM head unit. Looks like it came from the factory. It included a replacement license plate light and cam assembly in one unit and installed where the license plate light was.

View attachment 981869

The front cam will plug right into the lower grille, right above the spoiler and will also have the colored grid lines to help gauge distance.

They do have OEM type aftermarket sensor kits that are a breeze to install. Here's a few to check out.

Upstate nice Challenger thanks for the info I will be looking in to it gess that will be one of my winter projects

1 - 20 of 22 Posts