Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys new to the forum, created my account specifically for help:

I have a first edition (2008) Challenger Srt8 that just hit 50k miles. About 3 weeks ago it started misfiring in cylinder 1. It also began having issues starting: some days it would start perfect, other days it sounded like it wasn't getting enough fuel despite the fact you can hear the fuel pump perfectly running.

So I changed all of the spark plugs, new coils twice, still misfiring. Did a compression test and its like a brand new engine at 270 all around. I caved in and took it to my local stealership who deemed it wasn't the ECU or fuel injectors. They then preceded to say they'd need another $400 to go internal to find out what was wrong.

They supposedly were supposed to open the valve cover (did another compression test and leak down test) but the master tech went on to assume it was the camshaft falling apart and not letting cylinder 1 valve open/close. So currently my buddy at his shop is putting an srt8 max cam from inertia in (after dealership tried to charge $4k for a stock replacement) and want to know input to make sure that's what it is. Currently he's taking the engine out and soon the camshaft. But I'd hate to hear the news that it isn't fact that, and is much worse. Below is an idea of whats going on with it.

Currently in 2nd gear and 4th (5 spd auto) it bogs and shakes violently. At wot it kind of chirps out at top RPM; but that is it. Anything above 70 MPH right now cruising causes the check engine light to constantly ding with a misfire. I've never had this issue before and am so confused and worried. If anybody has insight into this it would be much appreciated. I've also reset codes via battery and then my tuner, both times the misfire returned.

·
Registered
2,891 Posts
taking the engine out for a cam shaft??? also when you changed the plugs was any of the gaps closed? did you try swapping the coil packs around and seeing if the misfire follows?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lifting to assess and make sure it is just the cam, and I hopped around coils before replacing and still was only in cylinder 1 still. The plugs were all perfect and torqued properly, even warrantied the ngks and got new ones for that cylinder just to be safe. Still misfiring.
Cylinder 1 plugs are also black at the end like it is still firing well, just not releasing.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dealer checked PCM (ECU all of that) and said everything was good. I've burned through almost all options and don't know what else I can do. Patiently hoping it is in fact just a bad camshaft in some sort of way.

·
Premium Member
7,294 Posts
I would look at the lifter and rocker arms before I pulled the camshaft.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Rocker Arms look brand new, so they're good. Camshaft is being pulled out now to determine if it's them or the lifters. If its one of those two I will probably file a defective part lawsuit with Dodge. Neither of the 2 should fail at just 50k miles. Plus the near 5k I've had to spend with dealerships and private mechanics trying to diagnose and fix it.

·
Premium Member
2,993 Posts
I hope you get it fixed but this sounds like a lot of part swapping has gone on trying to fix the problem instead of diagnosing the root cause of the problem.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts