Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a 2010 SRT8. When I got home today from taking it out for a spin, the brake lights will not turn off!! Only way to make them go off to keep from running the battery out appears to be to take the fuse out for the brake lights. I have turned lights on and off, pumped the brakes, engaged and disengaged the emergency brake, etc. Nothing seems to work. Has anyone heard of this?

·
Banned
1,540 Posts
Bring it back to the dealer ASAP and have them look at the brake light switch. First problem of this kind I've heard of on this forum at least.

Jack

·
Registered
209 Posts
I agree with Jack. First thing they may check is the brake light switch. You can see it if you follow the brake pedal up into the dash. Should see a button that is pushed in and out (or vice versa) when the brake pedal is pushed. Look and make sure the button is actually still making contact with the brake pedal when you push the pedal. If it does, the switch itself could be faulty. I think in our cars there is a paddle attached to the brake pedal rod that the brake light switch stopper rests against. Anyway, that would be my first guess.

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
And the verdict is... BadToy was right! Brake switch went bad. Interesting what happend with it though that will REALLY make you worry! I took it in Monday and they determined it was a brake switch but had to order the part. Would be in on Tuesday. While driving it around Monday before the bad switch was replaced, eventually the check engine light came on and then stayed on, then the ESP/BAS light started coming on, and the cruise control quit working! I was starting to really be paranoid that I was having major electrical meltdown!!! However, tuesday when they replaced the switch, it fixed everything.

·
Registered
248 Posts
and the cruise control quit working! I was starting to really be paranoid that I was having major electrical meltdown!!! However, tuesday when they replaced the switch, it fixed everything.
The reason the Cruise control quit is: It's function is linked to the brakes- if you step on the brakes, the cruise control automatically disengages, so if the brake switch was activating the lights 100% of the time, the cruise control could not engage

·
Registered
125 Posts
NEW Brake Light Issue. R/T with 6 speed manual. When I park with vehicle in gear and parking brake on, the brake lights remain on indefinitely. Came out this morning and found the lights had been on overnight. Opened the door and the lights went off. Strange. Since the car is garaged, this isn't likely any alarm system issue, or at least I wouldn't think so. Haven't tried to start the car yet, but hoping it will start. I did notice several times before if the car was running and the parking brake was on, the brake lights were on, which I assumed was logical.

Anyone else have this issue? I do have the DRL's activated. :SM030:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hey Everyone,

Having the same issue but mine gets a bit more weird. I have a 2014 SXT and the brake lights and side markers wouldn't turn off even though the switch was turned to off and the car itself was off. I pulled the fuse to save the battery but when I got back in the car the next day, it wouldn't let me pop the trunk. Had to climb through my back seat to pull the emergency trunk lever. I put the fuse back in (lights came on), but this time, the car wouldn't start. Kept saying it couldn't detect the key fob. Hadn't had any issues with the fob until now. It gets worse. I pulled the ignition fuse and popped it back in and the car started just fine. Taking it to the shop Monday but just wanted to see if anyone else experienced the same stuff.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Sorry to resurrect an old thread. I had this problem.. I replaced the stop light switch. Now, when I park, I have to tap the brake to get the light to turn off. I think I am driving with the brake light on:/ this is even with the new stop light switch. What's going on? Does the switch have to be calibrated somehow? The switch instructions said it would self-adjust when installed. What am I missing?

·
Registered
2012 Dodge Challenger R/T Classic
141 Posts
Sorry to resurrect an old thread. I had this problem.. I replaced the stop light switch. Now, when I park, I have to tap the brake to get the light to turn off. I think I am driving with the brake light on:/ this is even with the new stop light switch. What's going on? Does the switch have to be calibrated somehow? The switch instructions said it would self-adjust when installed. What am I missing? View attachment 1003777
Are you sure you “locked” it in place fully? I’m sure you noticed that white plastic thing spins which is what disengages / locks / aligns it to the mount.
I didn’t need any calibration when I did mine.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Are you sure you “locked” it in place fully? I’m sure you noticed that white plastic thing spins which is what disengages / locks / aligns it to the mount.
I didn’t need any calibration when I did mine.
I am sure. It had a confident "SNAP" into place. I tested cruise control and it operated fine this morning, which tells me i am likely not driving with my brake lights on, else cruise control would drop off (like tapping the brakes with cruise control on). IDK, may it was just a matter of the carpet under the dash getting in the way. I will update when i figure it out, but i appreciate any thoughts anyone has.

Could this be an indication of a worse issue like the brake booster going out or leaking?

·
Premium Member
3,072 Posts
Did you pull the brake pedal back (toward you) like the instructions say? That is the "Self-adjusting" step.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Did you pull the brake pedal back (toward you) like the instructions say? That is the "Self-adjusting" step.
I did. The light has not been staying on the past 36 hours. I have successfully used cruise control two and from work yesterday and today. I think and hope that the issue has resolved itself.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts