Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI gang..can anyone advise how I get into the trunk to boost the battery when the battery is dead and the trunk release is dead?
Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,546 Posts
You can pull the rear seat and there is a manual release on the trunk lid. You can jump the car from under the hood without doing any of that and the hood release is a cable and battery status won't matter.

·
Premium Member
2,984 Posts
Use the terminal under the hood that is designed and provided for that very purpose!

·
Registered
21 Posts
The easy way if you have a jump box on jumper cables open hood hook them to jumper spots under hood and then push release button. Or if you have a grandkid let down back seat go into trunk and pull release handle.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dead

Glad you guys are out there..
Did the red terminal and black to body with a charger and no juice to the button release.
Does it have to be on there for a long time?

The trunk release ..can you give me an idea where it would be..passenger side etc.....learning about my Challenger

·
Premium Member
3,546 Posts
If the battery is real low and you don't have a very big charger or it's set to trickle charge it might take a while before you can get the button to work. Also if the part your hooking the black to is painted or not a clean surface it won't work.

·
Premium Member
2,984 Posts
As mentioned, if your battery is flat dead it may not start accepting a charge for a while or possibly it could be ruined. It is also possible you have a bad connection at the battery in which case you will have to do the trunk trick if you charger is no not powerful enough to trip the release on its own.

I would probably leave the charger on overnight before doing anything else unless I needed to solve the problem quickly.

Do you know you did something to run the battery down or it just went dead quickly for no known reason?

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Dead Battery

Thanks for all the help gang. Battery accepted charge once I put the ground to a bare bolt.

Odd thing is I used a CTEK battery charger/trickle charger on the car not more than a week ago for a couple of 24 hr runs. We had very cold weather and the garage is unheaded. My 47 Chevy 1/2T parked next to the Chally started up and never had the CTEK.

Oh well, lesson learned.
Thanks for all the help.

Dave

·
Premium Member
1,481 Posts
The dealer just replaced the battery free of charge in my 2008 due to a bad cell. It's covered under the 3/36.

·
Premium Member
3,546 Posts
Thanks for all the help gang. Battery accepted charge once I put the ground to a bare bolt.

Odd thing is I used a CTEK battery charger/trickle charger on the car not more than a week ago for a couple of 24 hr runs. We had very cold weather and the garage is unheaded. My 47 Chevy 1/2T parked next to the Chally started up and never had the CTEK.

Oh well, lesson learned.
Thanks for all the help.

Dave
Do you have any add ons like Lockpick or a preditor? I've heard even though they don't draw that much current they won't let the bus go into standby so the car runs down in 3 or 4 days. Odds are it's just the batter though. Good luck,
Rick

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Dead

I have a few extras on CHEKM8, so i will just have to give him a jolt every now and then over this daen cold winter.
Thanks for all the replies.
Dave

·
Registered
58 Posts
"Battery Tender" for those batteries that have to sit for a long time makes sure it's ready to use anytime. Have one on the motorcycle, quad, riding lawn mower and one of the seldom used vehicles. Keeps them all toped up.

·
Registered
106 Posts
More Battery Issues

I have had my car since July and the battery has gone completely dead on me twice now. The first time was (I believe) because I popped the trunk accidently with the FOB in my pocket and didn't know it.
This second time though (this morning) is a mystery. The only warning I got was that my phone kept hanging on the connecting screen the day before and this would not allow me to even play the radio. The car would start and run fine though. The car has not been getting a lot of driving time but it is run at least every third day. I put the trickle charge on under the hood this morning and everything came back to life immediately but.... I wonder if these cars need the trickle on them all the time if they aren't driven daily?
Seems like the electrical draw may be a little heavy for all the things that continually run on these vehicles after they are shut off.

·
Premium Member
2,984 Posts
I have had my car since July and the battery has gone completely dead on me twice now. The first time was (I believe) because I popped the trunk accidently with the FOB in my pocket and didn't know it.
This second time though (this morning) is a mystery. The only warning I got was that my phone kept hanging on the connecting screen the day before and this would not allow me to even play the radio. The car would start and run fine though. The car has not been getting a lot of driving time but it is run at least every third day. I put the trickle charge on under the hood this morning and everything came back to life immediately but.... I wonder if these cars need the trickle on them all the time if they aren't driven daily?
Seems like the electrical draw may be a little heavy for all the things that continually run on these vehicles after they are shut off.
Assuming you have NO aftermarket add on devices, your key off drain should be about 30 to 35 mA. This will drain a good battery in 60 days or less. You say it is run every 3rd day - do you mean driven (not idled) for say 15-30 minutes or more? If not you are not charging the battery and you will need a Battery Tender.

·
Premium Member
3,546 Posts
The every 3rd day is what I read happens if the BUS doesn't go into hybernation. The thing I was reading said that happened if after market stuff is drawing current but it is posable (I guess) the computer might not go into hybrnation because it's bad but the artical didn't say that. If you don't have anything you added I'ld keep it charged untill the next time you are going to the dealer for the next service and have it checked then.

·
Registered
954 Posts
i asked a mechanic about that yesterday and he said a memory saver,the kind that takes a 9 volt battery and plugs into your cigarette lighter should give enough juice to pop the trunk.napa has them for around $16 dollars i think.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Assuming you have NO aftermarket add on devices, your key off drain should be about 30 to 35 mA. This will drain a good battery in 60 days or less. You say it is run every 3rd day - do you mean driven (not idled) for say 15-30 minutes or more? If not you are not charging the battery and you will need a Battery Tender.
Yeah it's on the trickle now and my power is back up. No aftermarket stuff at this point. I drive it on errands mostly at least every third day so there is really no sitting at idle.
I've been messing with it more and the rer radio seems to continue to search to "connect" every time you activate it even though the phone says it is connected successfully to uconnect. The radio stays on the "connecting" screen and will not change to any other function....I assume it really is continuing to look for the phone and that is what is killing the battery. I can make a call using the phone and the sound comes through the car. I have deleted and re pared the phone a couple of times now but with no change on how it is acting.
The phone and radio system have malfunctioned once before with a "phone is not available" response coming every time I tried to make a call but that had no effect on the battery and is not what it is doing now.
The dealer took about an hour and a half to get it working correctly last time by deleting everything from the radio (address book and all) and reloading the whole thing. He says they have found that to be the quickest and most reliable way to get the units to work again.....If they are going to. I do not remember the process sequence exactly as it involved opening and closing the driver side door as well as ignition on and off cycles to get everything to clear.
Does anyone know how to blank the radio and start over?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts