Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, so I opened up my hood today after putting a couple little things on the exterior. I hadn't started the car the entire time. Once I did, I noticed that my intake cone/filter was all scrunched up as if it wasn't letting any air through. I don't have a clue how this could have happened, as the last time I checked it was fine. I'd only started the car once between this, and only let it idle. I hadn't washed the car (I don't see how any water could have gotten in) before I did start it or anything. I don't know what to do. I have the arrington intake, and yeah I'm obviously going to have to get another intake cone now, but what should I do as far as making sure nothing is damaged other than the cone. And any ideas on how this could have happened? I'm absolutely confused on what went on here.

·
Registered
6,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Any ideas on how something like that could happen? I know its a very bad thing to restrict air to the engine like that so I don't know what to do. I don't want to order another intake cone to see it happen again so if anyone knows possible causes that would be GREAT

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Any ideas on how something like that could happen? I know its a very bad thing to restrict air to the engine like that so I don't know what to do. I don't want to order another intake cone to see it happen again so if anyone knows possible causes that would be GREAT
Defective or dirty.

·
Registered
630 Posts
This may not help at all but I noticed with my Mopar cai that the filter would move from its original spot and when I used my right foot that the filter would move to the outside of the car and hit the metal. When I let up on the gas it would bend the end of the filter. After this happened a few times the filter would look scrunched up. I replaced the cai with a Techco Supercharger, no more problems.

·
Banned
1,540 Posts
RM, it sounds like it just simply collapsed on itself. Look inside and see if there's any kind of reinforcement inside the cone filter i.e. wire mesh, etc. I didn't read in your post what kind of filter came with your CAI, but you can shop around and switch brands if you need to. Hope this helps in some way and good luck!

Jack

·
Registered
2018 SRT
2,643 Posts
Son put the stock intake box back on and get a K&N drop in filter and be done with it!
As for what could have happened? well maybe it got restricted with condensation or water vapor and due to the low temps froze and restricted the filter thus causing it to collapse.

·
Registered
6,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The arrington actually picked up quite a bit of pep for me after the exhaust work, I'm gonna just replace the filter and all should be good. It looks awesome under there too... The filters that come with the arrington intake are made by green, supposed to be really good filters so I'm thinking it could have been dust from the body shop or something else preventing the air from flowing.

·
Registered
6,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I dont know of any way it could have gotten wet. Sits in a nice garage and hasn't moved outa there for 2 weeks now, before which it sat in a body shop for a whiiile. Possible, but not plausible. Seems like since I caught it before I decided to go out for some snow fun no biggie as long as I get another cone on there. Right? Flybyu I know you've had a ton of experience with these cars, figure you may have some solid info.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Should be just fine IMO. If it got all clogged up, sounds like the filter did its job but it is very odd that it got so bad to get to that point.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts