Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I am hoping someone on this forum can help me out. I (meaning a local muffler shop) installed the 304 MBRP system on a 2009 Challenger SRT8 auto today, and the drone/resonance under moderate load from 1,500 - 1,800 RPMS is SO LOUD that it actually puts pressure on my eardrums and I want to pop them.

The issue here is that most of my driving is in this RPM range, especially when running around 40 - 50 mph, so it is uncomfortable to even drive the car.

I like the performance gains and the sound otherwise, but if this drone keeps up, I will put my stock system back on. (Then someone here could get a barely used MBRP system real cheap!). I would prefer to keep the system, however.

Please, does anyone have any tips on how to reduce or eliminate this drone issue?

Thanks,

Rob

·
Premium Member
3,548 Posts
The longer you run the stock exhaust before doing the install the louder any cat-back system is going to seem to you.

I had my car for two weeks before I had a competitor's system installed, and I had already put some 1,000 miles on the car and had grown accustomed to how quiet the cabin was inside at high speeds. I too was "shocked" by the sound of the new system -- at first. It took me about two weeks to get used to the new system. I would suggest anyone take at least that long as well and then decide on whether the system is right for you. Now, I wouldn't trade it for the world.

·
Premium Member
3,873 Posts
Yep the system you installed will drone. There is no fix, the corssa is a better choice, there has been many threads on this topic.. sorry!

·
Registered
113 Posts
The MBRP and Corsa Systems look very much alike but the Corsa does not have the drone problem. It is obvious by reading the forum and by my own experiance that MBRP definately has a problem. My wife actually will not go on trips with me due to the cabin noise and drone.

Looks like MBRP would offer some type of "fix" for this problem that could be purchased and installed, similar to the Corsa, that would eliminate or at least reduce the drone. If not, I suspect their sales will soon drop off due to this forum and other complaints.

Wake up MBRP.....There is a problem! Help us out.

·
Premium Member
364 Posts
Hi,

I am hoping someone on this forum can help me out. I (meaning a local muffler shop) installed the 304 MBRP system on a 2009 Challenger SRT8 auto today, and the drone/resonance under moderate load from 1,500 - 1,800 RPMS is SO LOUD that it actually puts pressure on my eardrums and I want to pop them.

The issue here is that most of my driving is in this RPM range, especially when running around 40 - 50 mph, so it is uncomfortable to even drive the car.

I like the performance gains and the sound otherwise, but if this drone keeps up, I will put my stock system back on. (Then someone here could get a barely used MBRP system real cheap!). I would prefer to keep the system, however.

Please, does anyone have any tips on how to reduce or eliminate this drone issue?

Thanks,

Rob
I have the same system.. I have put 1000 miles on my car since the install and it is mellowing with time... (it is not as bad as when I first installed) Thank goodness for the loud stereo.. That helps too.. :rofl:

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
I'll buy an MBRP system for a 6spd srt if you are not happy with yours. I've had 2 deals but the guys decided to keep them

·
Super Moderator
13,481 Posts
Did you consider keeping the 304 MBRP system and just putting back your high flow factory resonators? That is their purpose- to eliminate drone.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks to you all for your replies - I reviewed the forum quite a bit on this system, some said lots of drone, some said none. It appears drone is a bigger issue for auto's than sticks, as you have more control over the engine speed with a stick.

I have sent an email to Steve at MBRP to see if he can offer any solutions, if not, it looks like nando1 may be getting mine.

It will be interesting to see if I get used to it by the end of the week.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Hi,

Thanks,

Rob
Rob,

I have spoken with my manager, and passed this along to our designers. We are going to bring the SRT-8 auto back in for some more testing and see what we can come up with.

After speaking with you today, I left another message on your voice mail. If you could contact me when you have a moment that would be appreciated.

Take care,

Steve

·
Premium Member
1,097 Posts
droning is just part of the MBRP system for the challengers. cant get around it. ended up selling the MBRP and went with the corsa which doesnt drone at all. the MBRP system is really a nice system and great quality, though. also, it is good that MBRP is addressing this with its designers. another solution would to just advertise the system as having "significant interior exhaust noise" - at least consumers will know what they are getting into.

·
Administrator
17,155 Posts
Yep the system you installed will drone. There is no fix, the corssa is a better choice, there has been many threads on this topic.. sorry!
Ditto. MBRP = DRONE. CORSA = NO DRONE.

·
Premium Member
4,024 Posts
Ahhh.. some here have stated that the Corsa system has drone.

Maybe I'm just stupid, but I love my MBRP system! I have no regrets! and the service from the company is awesome!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Steve @ MBRP is certainly responsive - their reputation for great customer service is well deserved!

I guess I will see what he comes up with over the next few days - stay tuned!

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
"ROXIE - Performance Mods: MBRP Catback, Diablo Predator w/CAI 91 Tune, MOPAR CAI, 180 Jet T-Stat, Billet Tech Catch Can, 85MM throttle body"

Just a thought, but I've read the posts regarding the "drone" issue and most of the people experiencing it haven't made any other modifications to their intake (ie the 85mm Throttle Body, CAI).

I have a '09 Auto R/T 5.7L VVT w/ MDS and am doing the setup of C&L CAI, 85mm TB, and MBRP about mid-July when I get back to the states. I'll post some results of the setup regarding if there is/is not a drone issue as to lend a hand toward the R&D :program: of mods to the MBRP setup. I have definitely had debates on purchasing Zoomers (doesn't sound as free flowing as the MBRP) or the Corsa (high pitched almost race car sound) but this R&D thing will be beneficial for all concerned.

From the sounds, though, maybe adding on a better intake setup such as the 85mm TB and CAI, like Roxie has, might be a solution to the "drone" issue. Perhaps this will help balance out the amount of air in and the amount of exhaust out thus creating a smoother flowing intake/exhaust setup.

·
Premium Member
312 Posts
I completely agree with ASSA and love my MBRP and Steve is a great guy who stands behind the product. I think it sounds great, creates a little boost in power and I love it. Big difference from stock I will agree.

Wouldn't trade mine for anything.

James

·
Premium Member
4,024 Posts
"ROXIE - Performance Mods: MBRP Catback, Diablo Predator w/CAI 91 Tune, MOPAR CAI, 180 Jet T-Stat, Billet Tech Catch Can, 85MM throttle body"

Just a thought, but I've read the posts regarding the "drone" issue and most of the people experiencing it haven't made any other modifications to their intake (ie the 85mm Throttle Body, CAI).

I have a '09 Auto R/T 5.7L VVT w/ MDS and am doing the setup of C&L CAI, 85mm TB, and MBRP about mid-July when I get back to the states. I'll post some results of the setup regarding if there is/is not a drone issue as to lend a hand toward the R&D :program: of mods to the MBRP setup. I have definitely had debates on purchasing Zoomers (doesn't sound as free flowing as the MBRP) or the Corsa (high pitched almost race car sound) but this R&D thing will be beneficial for all concerned.

From the sounds, though, maybe adding on a better intake setup such as the 85mm TB and CAI, like Roxie has, might be a solution to the "drone" issue. Perhaps this will help balance out the amount of air in and the amount of exhaust out thus creating a smoother flowing intake/exhaust setup.
Interesting observation!
I hope to catch your post once you've done your mods.

From what I've read the MBRP is the throatiest catback system. Even if the drone was terrible, I'd suffer through that just for the way that car sounds on the outside! I don't need a radio in my car, Rox makes her own sweet music! I've got an auto-- I can only imgaine how it would sound on a manual -- my lawd I bet it's the shizniz!

rayzazoo-- are you a solider?

·
Premium Member
4,024 Posts
I completely agree with ASSA and love my MBRP and Steve is a great guy who stands behind the product. I think it sounds great, creates a little boost in power and I love it. Big difference from stock I will agree.

Wouldn't trade mine for anything.

James
I noticed a big difference after replacing the stock exhaust, too!

Not to take away from the problem the OP is having, but a while back there was a member here who decided he had to sell his catback from MBRP because of divorce. The guy hadn't installed it yet & was just sitting in his garage. Well, Steve told him to just send it back, no worries.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Corsa has NO DRONE I have it on my 6 speed R/T. I know drone having had 6 mustangs with various exhaust. Simply no drone with Corsa. 'nuff said! :)

1 - 20 of 60 Posts