Dodge Challenger Forum banner

21 - 40 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
I have a MBRP on my 6 speed srt, i only get drone in 6th gear at around 1800 to 2k rpm's. which is really cruising speed on the highway. i dont notice it as much any more really. my friends C6 vet has a loudmouth and has the same issue around the same range. our solution was just drive faster.

·
Premium Member
4,024 Posts
Corsa has NO DRONE I have it on my 6 speed R/T. I know drone having had 6 mustangs with various exhaust. Simply no drone with Corsa. 'nuff said! :)
Other members here have had issues with drone & the Corsa system. That's good you personally don't have problems with it.

I have a MBRP on my 6 speed srt, i only get drone in 6th gear at around 1800 to 2k rpm's. which is really cruising speed on the highway. i dont notice it as much any more really. my friends C6 vet has a loudmouth and has the same issue around the same range. our solution was just drive faster.
:lol: heck yea...drive faster!

Do you have any other mods?

·
Premium Member
4,031 Posts
Put a corsa on it and the drone will go away. I talked to a lot of people and did a lot of reading here on the forum before I got my system and I am a 100% happy with the corsa.

·
Registered
53 Posts
My Challenger is bone stock so maybe thats why i'm not hearing drone, or maybe I'm just tone deaf from playing drums for 35 years and riding Harleys! LOL

·
Registered
53 Posts
Maybe the SRT with more Hp is enough different thatn an RT that drone with Corsa is prevalent. That could be true. No issues with the R/T I dont think. I LOVE my Corsa system!

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
Interesting observation!
I hope to catch your post once you've done your mods.

From what I've read the MBRP is the throatiest catback system. Even if the drone was terrible, I'd suffer through that just for the way that car sounds on the outside! I don't need a radio in my car, Rox makes her own sweet music! I've got an auto-- I can only imgaine how it would sound on a manual -- my lawd I bet it's the shizniz!

rayzazoo-- are you a soldier?
I'll post the results in the MBRP thread concerning the R/T setup. Also, I've read on here that someone also added the predator tune and it helped to reduce the cabin noise by half. Again, I'll test it out and see along with the recommendations to tighten/check up the exhaust after 50 miles or so.

Yup, I'm a Soldier and our unit is finishing up our 15 month deployment in July. I can't wait to get back to driving "Tori"; my '09 R/T:woot:. I've already convinced some buds to help out with the exhaust install at the on-post garage :bigthumb:. Beer truly is the REAL American currency in the Army!

Also, in keeping with the original thread, here's a post regarding Dynamat as a possible solution to help reduce the interior cabin noise. http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f39/dynamat-installation-9731/

·
Premium Member
1,097 Posts
you wont have drone with any of corsa's catbacks on any application. their number one business strategy is to create a good flowing exhaust with no drone. if they cant achieve zero drone, they keep designing. the issue with the corsa and drone on a challenger was people putting the wrong catback system on their car. people were putting the 6-speed catback on their auto car thinking it would sound better but then experienced drone. corsa specifically warned me against doing that. i have done this three times (trailblazer ss, GTO, challenger) now - go with cheaper catbacks only to end up buying a corsa...i will probably never learn though.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Thanks for your service! A big smoky burnout will be a great way to celebrate your return!

·
Registered
504 Posts
Hi,

I am hoping someone on this forum can help me out. I (meaning a local muffler shop) installed the 304 MBRP system on a 2009 Challenger SRT8 auto today, and the drone/resonance under moderate load from 1,500 - 1,800 RPMS is SO LOUD that it actually puts pressure on my eardrums and I want to pop them.

The issue here is that most of my driving is in this RPM range, especially when running around 40 - 50 mph, so it is uncomfortable to even drive the car.

I like the performance gains and the sound otherwise, but if this drone keeps up, I will put my stock system back on. (Then someone here could get a barely used MBRP system real cheap!). I would prefer to keep the system, however.

Please, does anyone have any tips on how to reduce or eliminate this drone issue?

Thanks,

Rob
buy a zoomers set up with the 3" cross over in 304, , suck it up...live long and prosperous with the best "No drone Muscle car set up you can get" go see the videos on aperformance webisite.. The corsa set up sucks, yeah it is no drone,,whatever..it is 1300.00 bucks with a sound like a a eurotrash m5 or porshe suv.only when you mash it...the stock set up sounds just as good when you mash it....corsa is not loud enough for 1300.00 bucks.. imo. or 1500.00 buck if you want it with a moose stamp....

·
Premium Member
4,024 Posts
I'll post the results in the MBRP thread concerning the R/T setup. Also, I've read on here that someone also added the predator tune and it helped to reduce the cabin noise by half. Again, I'll test it out and see along with the recommendations to tighten/check up the exhaust after 50 miles or so.

Yup, I'm a Soldier and our unit is finishing up our 15 month deployment in July. I can't wait to get back to driving "Tori"; my '09 R/T:woot:. I've already convinced some buds to help out with the exhaust install at the on-post garage :bigthumb:. Beer truly is the REAL American currency in the Army!

Also, in keeping with the original thread, here's a post regarding Dynamat as a possible solution to help reduce the interior cabin noise. http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f39/dynamat-installation-9731/
:lol: Yup beer is definitely the Army currency! Is there a do it yourself garage where you are stationed? If so, you could probably do it yourself. Hubby & I did ours... but I wasn't much help. :p

Be safe & hurry on home! :woot:

·
Premium Member
1,097 Posts
buy a zoomers set up with the 3" cross over in 304, , suck it up...live long and prosperous with the best "No drone Muscle car set up you can get" go see the videos on aperformance webisite.. The corsa set up sucks, yeah it is no drone,,whatever..it is 1300.00 bucks with a sound like a a eurotrash m5 or porshe suv.only when you mash it...the stock set up sounds just as good when you mash it....corsa is not loud enough for 1300.00 bucks.. imo. or 1500.00 buck if you want it with a moose stamp....
thats completely false. i have gone through 5 exhaust setups now and i have listened to each of them from different positions from inside the car (of course) to right behind it as it drives off to being blocks away and the car going wide open throttle. at first, i thought the MBRP was the loudest and best sounding from the outside but the corsa has broken in so well it sounds much louder when accelerating than the mbrp - you just cant tell from the inside because of the way the corsa exhaust is designed. have you ever been behind a challenger going WOT with the corsa??

·
Registered
373 Posts
My experience with the MBRP system that I bought and installed on my R/T was pretty typical of most everyone that bought one. Insane amount of drone that rattled your teeth. So I started making phone calls to see what they could do about it (like 6 months ago). They first admitted they had a drone issue and would work with me to fix it no matter what it took, even up to returning the system. Wow, that sounded great.... but....

I originally thought the gang at MBRP were the best, and were right there to help you with any issue as they seemed interested in customer service, but after awhile it appeared that wasn't the case, and it was just a money thing. I'll admit that they did sent me a second set of mid-pipes without the H-pipe to see if it would keep this thing from rattling the interior apart, but that didn't work. I appreciated that, however after that there was nothing. When I finally had it and asked to just return it everyone had amnesia immediately (BMC who I bought it through and MBRP) and said no way, and that no one else was having the problem. Translation: go take a hike. SO, off it came and it was sold.

Good luck with working with them. I'd still like to see what they promised me they were going to do (fix the R/T system drone problem). Your not going to get rid of that drone ever unless you change systems. Corsa or Flowmaster are the ones if you have an automatic. Sell the MBRP quickly before everyone realizes that system is not for people with ears.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Sounds like you got a bunch of empty promises. Glad you could sell it and get yourself something better suited for your needs.

·
Registered
770 Posts
You gonna tell me this sucks!?!
you tube corsa sound clip
No way does the Corsa sound suck...but it wouldn't (from the sound of the clip anyway) be my first choice. It sounds like a ferrari to me, just not my cup of tea. I have to say that the absence of interior drone was impressive. A full throttle acceleration from 50-70 in high gear is the ultimate drone test for after-market systems.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Great clip brentmann - sounds good.

I spoke with Steve today @MBRP and he is going to follow up with thier test car, which is also a SRT auto. It will be interesting to see how this works out.

Thanks for all of your inputs, they are appreciated.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Corsa to me sounds a little to tinny. I have been looking at these for a while trying to decide which one to get. I fear I won't like the drone in the mbrp system, and the corsa just doesn't do it for me. I want a little deeper sound. I am leaning towards magnaflow competion exhaust without tips, and found some mbrp looking tips online for about 200 a piece. Love the look of the mbrp and if it didn't have so much drone i'd probably go for it.

Magnaflow seems to be a good middle ground exhaust.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Extend the tips

That worked on Marauders, i.e. reduced drone on aftermarket exhausts. My friend's Marauder is pretty sedate inside except when at WOT, and he not only extended the tips, but had the cabin lined with Dynamat. The Dynamat idea is kinda extreme, but the tips can be extended easily, and you'd be surprised how much better the droning is reduced. Course, that's a completely different car, so ymmv.

·
Premium Member
4,024 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,024 Posts
21 - 40 of 60 Posts