Dodge Challenger Forum banner

41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Vendor
5,647 Posts
I hadn't seen this thread until now, but after skimming through I wanted to let you guys know that MBRP will definitely take care of your concerns. I was just talking with Steve (MBRP Tech 1) and they are working on another muffler option for anyone who wants less sound volume from their system. Stay tuned, and I can attest that in all my experience with MBRP, they have always backed their products and customers, so they'll resolve this for you!

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
I hadn't seen this thread until now, but after skimming through I wanted to let you guys know that MBRP will definitely take care of your concerns. I was just talking with Steve (MBRP Tech 1) and they are working on another muffler option for anyone who wants less sound volume from their system. Stay tuned, and I can attest that in all my experience with MBRP, they have always backed their products and customers, so they'll resolve this for you!

I don't think people are complaining about the growl/sound of the system, they're complaining of the drone. Two completely different things, but I also believe that you can't have one without the other.

And just to reiterate, the member who spoke up earlier sure didn't get taken care of by MBRP or the shop he bought the system from.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I am in the camp that feels it has to much drone. I was going to pull the system this winter and sell it. Everyone that has been in the car comments on it too. I think some of the issue has to do with the way the system is mounted to the chassis. Those rear isolators are hard as woodpecker lips and I don't think that keeps anything from being transferred to the body of the car and into the passenger compartment.

I don't want to "quiet" the system down with a different muffler that has less tone out the back of the car. I could actually stand a little more exhaust noise myself. It's the drone in the cabin that is the major issue with me.

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
Another thought about the drone issue could be the exhaust rubbing/touching against the chassis.

This is a reference and is not meant to be a shot at Corsa exhausts, however, it is to say that checking any exhaust system after installation for alignment and clearance might help reduce drone issues.

Exhaust contact point, driver side rear differential
http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f5/help-corsa-exhaust-noise-20499/

·
Registered
268 Posts
Another thought about the drone issue could be the exhaust rubbing/touching against the chassis.

This is a reference and is not meant to be a shot at Corsa exhausts, however, it is to say that checking any exhaust system after installation for alignment and clearance might help reduce drone issues.

Exhaust contact point, driver side rear differential
http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f5/help-corsa-exhaust-noise-20499/
Dude, this has nothing to do with proper/correct installation, it has to do with the fact that MBRP and Drone are now synonymous. The thing I find quite funny is that 5-6 months ago, MBRP was the like the Holy Grail here, they were the darlings of Challengertalk. From their awesome customer service to their awesome deep, throaty, rumbling exhaust, that made the Challenger sound like a muscle car should sound like.

Now, 5-6 months later, everyone in bagging on MBRP. WTF, did you deaf old bastards put your hearing aids back in? I Effing hate exhaust systems that drone and I could tell just by watching videos that this system had drone. For that matter, I had the Zoomers and took a huge loss after selling that crap, why?

D-R-O-N-E. Ear splitting headache inducing noise. BTW, did they ever come out with the New Tips yet? Thet said they weere going to be ready like 4 months ago.

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
Would changing out the H-pipe for a X-pipe be a possible solution to reduce the drone? Perhaps this could be an option offered by MBRP and again, I'll be more than willing to test it out on 5.7L R/T Auto even if it required an additional purchase. BMC and/or MBRP, lemmy know via PM or something. Again, I plan to test out the T-409 system on a 5.7L Auto mid-July in Texas.

Another setup where user did X-pipe and H-pipe setup along with their responses.
http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f37/mbrp-t-409-x-h-pipe-installed-9242/

·
Registered
103 Posts
And I thought I was the only old fool complaining about the drone! Sounds great outside, but the drone on the inside is pretty bad from about 45 to about 60mph. sure hope they do something for us R/T auto owners as well as the SRT guys.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Traveled to Berea, Ohio three weeks ago and had Corsa install their cat back on my
09 SRT 6 speed. Dropped my wife at mall during installation. She coulnt understand why
a new car needed a "new muffler".. When I picked her up after install she didn't think it sounded any different. Perfect. Louder when you get on it, not irritating while driving.
No drone. Combined with mopar CAI a small improvement in performance.

·
Premium Member
4,024 Posts
hitop -- you sound very angry. Did you buy a MBRP system?

·
Premium Member
5,634 Posts
Corsa hands down better but it cost more $$$

Buckwheat

·
Registered
688 Posts
Drone cured on my Mag RT with flowmaster 40's. I installed two cheap 12" glass packs where the reso's used to be. It did tame the flowmasters a little, but got rid of the plastic rattling drone in the cabin.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
I know it's been a few days, but I recieved an update phone call from Steve @MBRP today.

It looks like they have spent the last week or so testing alternatives for those of us that are more sensitive to the drone issue with this exhaust. He is hoping to have some options available soon, and I will let everyone know how it goes once I try it out on my car.

Stay tuned!

·
Registered
346 Posts
Would changing out the H-pipe for a X-pipe be a possible solution to reduce the drone? Perhaps this could be an option offered by MBRP and again, I'll be more than willing to test it out on 5.7L R/T Auto even if it required an additional purchase. BMC and/or MBRP, lemmy know via PM or something. Again, I plan to test out the T-409 system on a 5.7L Auto mid-July in Texas.

Another setup where user did X-pipe and H-pipe setup along with their responses.
http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f37/mbrp-t-409-x-h-pipe-installed-9242/
Sorry to bring up an oldish thread but just thought I'd let everyone know that I put an X pipe on my MBRP exhaust and it made a world of difference. I would say it reduced drone by at least 50% (I had tried venturis and about 100 sq ft of Dynamat before that). I bought one of the first systems before they put h pipes in.

I have the 6 banger but its essentially the same setup. My exhaust note did get a bit highere when I did this. My next project is to put shorty headers on which others have claimed to change the drone point...hopefully getting it out of the 65-70mph range

·
Registered
346 Posts
How much was the X-pipe and where did you get it?
Its a magnaflow that I bought from the exhaust shop. Fit perfect...I think its was around $200 installed, but yours will likely be more as mine is only 2.5"

·
Premium Member
4,024 Posts
We met up with a SRT owner at the Nurburgring in Germany this weekend. He has a Corsa system now, but once he heard the MBRP, he's thinking about switching it.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Wow, just wow after reading all of this. You are driving a hotrod! You wanna talk drone, I'd love to put on my challenger what I had on my first hotrod. Set of Headman headers with a pair of cherry bombs bolted to them that was it. Loud as hell, you could hear me coming from a mile away and it was a daily driver! My second hotrod had headers, cherry bombs and straight pipe, rapped like a mofo and loud as hell.

As for the Corsa vs MBRP, I had the honor of listening to both of them at the Nurburg ring. First night after dinner with SF18C and Boyd57 I waited for them to leave to listen to the dif exhausts. Some one posted on this thread and nailed it, the corsa sounds more like a european car "ferrari etc" with a higher pitch. The MBRP however was a much deeper sound like the older hot rods had. As far as drone with the MBRP system, I had the pleasure of riding in the back seat of SF18C's SRT8 with the MBRP sytem for a lap around the track. Boyd57 was in the front seat. That was the deciding moment for me, MBRP is going on my car. Even with a hang-over riding in the back seat the noise level was more than bearable. It was a very pleasant rumble that I want to hear in my car.

·
Premium Member
4,024 Posts
Brian, you had a hangover!? :lol: You shouldn't hang out with wild women!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi Everyone,

I just installed a MBRP system on my 08 automatic srt8 challanger. This is the new MBRP system with the tunning tubes an NO DRONE as advertised. IT IS AWSOME for sound and NO DRONE. Very happy and no install issues. Nice mellow sound and pretty quiet untill you put the foot down and then a beauty roar out the retro 70 tips ! The tips look exactly like a 1970 tip. AWSOME ! 3 cheers for MBRP on this system.

41 - 60 of 60 Posts