Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to this site. Moons ago we had two drag tracks on Long island NY. All gone for a long time. I understand they are all gone in Conn also.
Anyone out there could direct me to a drag track not more then 5 hours away? I would also like to know if there are any drag guys left on LI... Street racing is about all you can do around here anymore.. As I just ordered a 1320 scat I am very interested in going to a good drag track... Just need a little help to get back into it... bbmac

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes NY has some but at least 5 hours off LI that I know of... Believe me I will be calling up Lebanon also. Right now I am into Atco in NJ. trying to find out why they say 'no trans brake' in sportsman? I just ordered a scat that comes with a trans brake... Hey I believe it comes with a 200MPH speedO... Doesn't mean I have to do 200MPH... bbmac

·
Registered
137 Posts
Wow! Never heard of no transbrake for sportsman class! I run one on my 408 stroked 1998 formula firebird here in Vegas. Only thing is we have limited track days, and they usually fill up so that you only get maybe 2 runs.

·
Registered
16,005 Posts
Yeah, West Lebanon or Atco, NJ probably it. Both about 3 hours away.

It's a shame all the tracks have gone away but I guess that's what they call "progress".

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow! Never heard of no transbrake for sportsman class! I run one on my 408 stroked 1998 formula firebird here in Vegas. Only thing is we have limited track days, and they usually fill up so that you only get maybe 2 runs.
Maybe not pro sport? Funny they don't like the stop light five hundreds but build more houses to add to over crowding...
May you win every race in your firebird...

·
Registered
137 Posts
Yes and there was a recent article saying street racing was up remarkably. The Midnight Mayhem here was created to discourage street racing. I have over 50k in my bird, and for an N/A car, it performs decently (11.0 @ 124). We will be ATI in the future, however always wanted to say i have a 10 sec streetcar N/A first! Anyway, a local group here is looking to do the Street Outlaws way: getting permits, and paying to rent a stretch of unused roadway. It is possible to do so in our state, as Koenisseg rented the highway between Vegas and my town recently/.

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'll say thats a decent time... Personally the first I have owned that claimed it did in the high 12's was a 2006 viper truck night runner. Not many made in 3 years... bought it off the floor 11K under sticker price...
Have a 17 charger scat - love the car. Call it my led sled. So where do you race???bbmac

·
Registered
137 Posts
I'll say thats a decent time... Personally the first I have owned that claimed it did in the high 12's was a 2006 viper truck night runner. Not many made in 3 years... bought it off the floor 11K under sticker price...
Have a 17 charger scat - love the car. Call it my led sled. So where do you race???bbmac
My best time of 11.0 was run at Las Vegas Motor Speedway "The Strip". Test and Tune prepped track. 4.11s and 3200 lbs at the time. Currently, I am working on tubular Rock Solid Motorsports front end with VFN shell to reduce weight; have the products but need a good TIG welder. My car has a few vids on youtube if you look up Dave D LEP 1998 trans am you should find a few..

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thats pretty light. They say 'they say you wanna go faster, lighten the load...
Get a kick out of the so called street cars on tv. I do enjoy watching them though... NY solved the problem of what is called a street car... Street cars must have a square tube frame. No round tube chassis...
I am a welder and alot of other things by trade... Tig welding is an art... Have seen tube frame racing motor bikes that the tig was so perfect you would think it was done by machine not by hand... Good ruck with that adventure... bbmac

·
Registered
137 Posts
My firebird will only be tubular from shock towers forward, effectively eliminating the rad support, etc. the motor will still be attached to the frame of the car. Wish I had paid better attention in high school when learning to weld!! i dont even know if any schools still teach it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Yes NY has some but at least 5 hours off LI that I know of... Believe me I will be calling up Lebanon also. Right now I am into Atco in NJ. trying to find out why they say 'no trans brake' in sportsman? I just ordered a scat that comes with a trans brake... Hey I believe it comes with a 200MPH speedO... Doesn't mean I have to do 200MPH... bbmac
They would never know it has a TB anyway. Most everyone that has been racing their 1320's have discovered it is better to foot brake them anyway. Seems there is to many steps to use it and focus on the tree/staging.

I have one on my 98 Formula hardy ever use it as well. My best NA time was accomplished using the TB though.

Good luck and have fun!

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
24,909 Posts

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My firebird will only be tubular from shock towers forward, effectively eliminating the rad support, etc. the motor will still be attached to the frame of the car. Wish I had paid better attention in high school when learning to weld!! i dont even know if any schools still teach it.
Your car is pretty light now. Could be less then a tubular front end would give it some more go...
For sure a tig welder aint cheap but you can buy one for under a K. If you plan on paying a shop to do your welding it just might be cheaper to buy one and start teaching yourself... bbmac

·
Registered
33 Posts
Dave D to followup on what bobbymac posted and I know this is getting a little off topic but take time with your car and work on the setup. If you ever plan to drive on the street after drag racing gets boring you may wish you had the safety of the factory components in the front. If it is a dedicated drag car well then that is OK.

I run mid 10s NA at 3,300 lbs. and could put my Formula on the street anytime if needed.

Insurance could very well denied a claim with major structural parts missing.

Have fun guys and Happy racing!

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Dave D or 15 cents... I have a 17 charger scat for the street.. I think you for the input about a car for racing.. bbmac

·
Registered
33 Posts
Dave D or 15 cents... I have a 17 charger scat for the street.. I think you for the input about a car for racing.. bbmac
I noted you said you ordered a 1320 which is the one I assume you plan to race. As I mentioned in my first post doubt anyone for the most part even knows that car has a trans brake. The other thing I mentioned is from what I have read not many of the 1320 owners even use the trans brake. Hope you get your new car soon and have fun at the track!

Enjoy the Charger on the street. I know I have enjoyed my Widebody Challenger.

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yes I plan to keep the 1320 for racing. Plan on renting or buying a trailer for transport... As for the trans break I watched it on a video and didn't seem to take very long to me especially if you staged first. I suppose if you were short on time just use the break.
Something I read that I have in the charger - Set it take your foot off the brake and off ya go. Heard there is a lag time and you lose a tenth or two????
Just ordered it - it won't be six weeks thats for sure...Haven't even gotten the vin number yet... Still have my plates and ins from the SS I wonder if they can be transferred to the scat before it gets here? bbmac

1 - 18 of 18 Posts