Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sold my race car ran low 9s and bought a 2011 srt8 challenger. 6.4 Purchased a kenne bell supercharger and plan on pulling engine to upgrade pistons and rods. Probably do cometics head gaskets and studs. Question I have is what torque converter do you recommend for transmission? I drive it on weekends and to work sometimes so street friendly. Trying to get 600rwhp on the 392 pump gas maybe little methanol injection .any Suggestions on combo or things I need to do would be appreciated I'm new to the Dodge world.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Welcome to the forum there is a lot of good information here. To be honest at 600 to the wheels & for what all your talking about u could probably sell your 6.4 & pick up a used hellcat engine, trans & computer or just engine, trans & so a holley terminater. A different tune, pully swap, headers & small stuff & your well past 600 to the wheel.

Here was a nice little read as well.

Also look around for Big red. That is a hell of a car.

Good luck i look forward to it.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2010 R/T Classic 6M
1,287 Posts
Sold my race car ran low 9s and bought a 2011 srt8 challenger. 6.4 Purchased a kenne bell supercharger and plan on pulling engine to upgrade pistons and rods. Probably do cometics head gaskets and studs. Question I have is what torque converter do you recommend for transmission? I drive it on weekends and to work sometimes so street friendly. Trying to get 600rwhp on the 392 pump gas maybe little methanol injection .any Suggestions on combo or things I need to do would be appreciated I'm new to the Dodge world.
You can easily run 600whp on pump gas if you get forged rods and pistons, very easily and very reliably. Unless you're drag racing why would you wanna change the converter? But if you do I'd get a 2800-3000 stall so it's still streetable. Cosmetic gaskets and arp studs are a good idea as well, while you're there I'd probably change the lifters unless the car is very low miles. Weak points in the drivetrain will be axles followed by driveshaft and trans, if the trans slips id go with a stage 3 built trans, lots of guys running them on very high hp builds.
Oh and definitely go for long tubes, they'll pick u up a solid ~25whp while also lowering boost pressure ~1psi which means less heat.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Welcome to the forum there is a lot of good information here. To be honest at 600 to the wheels & for what all your talking about u could probably sell your 6.4 & pick up a used hellcat engine, trans & computer or just engine, trans & so a holley terminater. A different tune, pully swap, headers & small stuff & your well past 600 to the wheel.

Here was a nice little read as well.

Also look around for Big red. That is a hell of a car.

Good luck i look forward to it.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Thanks for the reply. Love the video. I'm one of the guys that have to build it up and make it more me

Thanks for the reply I will do that any particular brand of lifters? And this cars are tanks figured it wouldn't hurt for a little bit more stall to get it in its power band faster. My last car weighed 3300 had a street tune for 640 rwhp it wasn't a challenger though but it was fun driving. If I do long tube headers who do you recommend doing the retune ? Kenne bell supercharger comes with only a stock engine tune .

·
Registered
2010 R/T Classic 6M
1,287 Posts
Thanks for the reply I will do that any particular brand of lifters? And this cars are tanks figured it wouldn't hurt for a little bit more stall to get it in its power band faster. My last car weighed 3300 had a street tune for 640 rwhp it wasn't a challenger though but it was fun driving. If I do long tube headers who do you recommend doing the retune ? Kenne bell supercharger comes with only a stock engine tune .
Definitely get a custom tune if you want 600whp and ur doing headers. Mopar Non-MDS lifters is all you need. If you're less than 30,000 miles don't bother tho

Reactions: Jrod2011

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Definitely get a custom tune if you want 600whp and ur doing headers. Mopar Non-MDS lifters is all you need. If you're less than 30,000 miles don't bother tho
Who do you recommend for custom tuning? I will do long tube headers and cam also

·
Registered
2010 R/T Classic 6M
1,287 Posts
Who do you recommend for custom tuning? I will do long tube headers and cam also
I personally went thru Johan(Diablotoona), but there's a few good hemi tuners. Depending on location you can also get a dyno tune from a shop as well

Reactions: Jrod2011

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
I wonder what the build cost for that setup would be... Probably in the 30k range.
If so that seems like a "deal buster" for the person who really thinks this one through.

Trading a Scat Pack car or SRT392 for a second hand Hell Cat car of the same model year that could also have warranty with an extended plan easily happens with a smaller than $30,000 check attached to your trade.

Not sure how anyone could ever justify a build up of a 392 this expensive and still yielding less power and a "you're on your own buddy" response from FCA concerning anything that goes south.

Chrysler's Challenger is a notoriously expensive car to add serious power to. The flip side of this though is found in how you really don't really have to.

The car is available with 3 different V8s. A very mediocre no drama 5.7 power level that should keep you out of trouble for sure, a run along side the LS and 5.0 competition 392 and if you really want to scare yourself a Super Charged hang on and try not to kill anyone when you find your driving limits the hard way on the street that bring 700-800HP. Chrysler builds these top of the food chain cars and delivers them at a price builders of the 6.4 can't match with any reasonable argument to ensure those Mustangs and Camaros see tail lights at the drag strip

I'm not sure I see anyway to move to another level of power that can be user built that ever makes more sense than a trade of your current car to that next power level with a Dodge. In a Mustang? Sure..... but not these cars.

·
Premium Member
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy- GONE :-(
4,714 Posts
The car is available with 3 different V8s. A very mediocre no drama 5.7 power level that should keep you out of trouble for sure, a run along side the LS and 5.0 competition 392 and if you really want to scare yourself a Super Charged hang on and try not to kill anyone when you find your driving limits the hard way on the street that bring 700-800HP. ...
Really it comes down to almost 4 V8s with the "base" Hellcat 707/717 and the Redeye/Demon/Super Stock with 797 and up.
So people like me with what I consider a seriously badass 392 car, it is actually the middle engine out of 5.
And yeah, I'd trade for a 'cat of some sort before I'd build up my 392, probably. Maybe a light boost of 6psi under the SHAKER for under $10,000, but never a tear down and internals type of build.

·
Registered
2012 Dodge Challenger Rt
550 Posts
Jd40 is right. Your hp goal is easily in reach with forged pistons and rods. My dads rt with 392 swap, mild cam, stock Apache heads, d1 pro charger made a hair over 750 A5 trans and 3800 stall.

·
Registered
2011 gwe srt
853 Posts
unless your racing leave the stock convertor in it. If you want to do double duty racing/street dont go over a 3000rpm stall or street manners will suffer. Back when we farted with grand nationals i found a good compromise was a 2800 rpm stall. As to how much money. I picked up a like new 11 srt with 18k on it for 22. Im sure i could do just what your doing and come in under what a used hell cat goes for and the satisfaction of the jaw dropping on the guys with hellcats and zl1s when you drive by them would be worth the admission price.

This goes back to street racing in the 60s and 70s. Back then i was driving an ls6 chevelle. One of my buddys got a great deal on a ss396 el camino. then he started throwing money at it. I asked him why he didnt just buy a 454 to start with. About a month later he showed up at our back country road drag race and put a 100 dollar bill on the hood of my car and said lets go. He beat me by half a car lenght and if he would have hooked up better it would have been by more. He paid about a 1/3 less then he would have to buy an ls6 and with his mods came out pretty close to the same.

He made some money with that car/truck. Seems nobody was afraid of a 396 automatic camino. Lots of guys walked away with there tails between there legs. Not me for long because i wasnt going to let him beat me so i started throwning money at mine. Everyone comes to these posts and says you should have bought a hellcat. Well not everyone has 70k or 50k for a used one. You can buy a good 392 for 20k and start slowly spending money. Plus for some insurance is alot cheaper. Add to that most of the hell cat guys i know mod them too. Bottom line is if your a performance guy your usually not ever satisfied. I guess we could tell him he should have plunked down a 100k on a demon. If money was the big factor wed all be driving prius's or malibu's

·
Registered
2020 SPS, M6, Go Mango
521 Posts
unless your racing leave the stock convertor in it. If you want to do double duty racing/street dont go over a 3000rpm stall or street manners will suffer. Back when we farted with grand nationals i found a good compromise was a 2800 rpm stall. As to how much money. I picked up a like new 11 srt with 18k on it for 22. Im sure i could do just what your doing and come in under what a used hell cat goes for and the satisfaction of the jaw dropping on the guys with hellcats and zl1s when you drive by them would be worth the admission price.

This goes back to street racing in the 60s and 70s. Back then i was driving an ls6 chevelle. One of my buddys got a great deal on a ss396 el camino. then he started throwing money at it. I asked him why he didnt just buy a 454 to start with. About a month later he showed up at our back country road drag race and put a 100 dollar bill on the hood of my car and said lets go. He beat me by half a car lenght and if he would have hooked up better it would have been by more. He paid about a 1/3 less then he would have to buy an ls6 and with his mods came out pretty close to the same.

He made some money with that car/truck. Seems nobody was afraid of a 396 automatic camino. Lots of guys walked away with there tails between there legs. Not me for long because i wasnt going to let him beat me so i started throwning money at mine. Everyone comes to these posts and says you should have bought a hellcat. Well not everyone has 70k or 50k for a used one. You can buy a good 392 for 20k and start slowly spending money. Plus for some insurance is alot cheaper. Add to that most of the hell cat guys i know mod them too. Bottom line is if your a performance guy your usually not ever satisfied. I guess we could tell him he should have plunked down a 100k on a demon. If money was the big factor wed all be driving prius's or malibu's
"to each their own" is a favorite phrase of mine. I'd rather have a supercharged scat pack shaker than a hellcat. Slower? Probably. Less reliable? Negligible if you do it right. Still pretty damn fast and badass? Yep.

Plus, I paid under 40k brand new for mine. For what, 10-15k I could do rods, pistons, and blower? Still at least 10k off a new hellcat. Not to mention the difference in insurance.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts