Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2009 Challenger SRT, Auto, 10,800 miles YOUNG. Broke it in very gently, never raced it or pushed it hard. Only things added were a K&N Air Raid cold air intake and Flowmaster 40's for better breathing and sound.

Oil changed at 1,500 and 3,000 due to "old school belief" of break-in. Changed again at 6,000 and 9,000 - ALWAYS MOBIL-1 0W40 FULL SYNTHETIC. Changed often due to time since last change versus mileage since last change.
Had to dealer several times for noisy tapping/rattling during cold start warm up. Always seemed to go away after oil temp reached 110-120. Dealer said tapping was normal lifter noise inherent in the 6.1 SRT engines.

As car reached approx'y 10,000 miles, tappin was getting louder, lasting longer, and a few weeks ago while the car was in the garage running for it's weekly start-up during winter, it began a VERY LOUD knocking.
Took to dealer, said lifter went bad, they would replace all of them under warranty, easy repair, just pull intake, replace lifters and reseal engine. Went in 3 days later, heads are off, engine is having "open-heart surgery'.

WTF BATMAN - THIS IS AN SRT!!! Has anyone else had these loud tapping noises or anything similar? How can I get in touch with the SRT Team for their input and thoughts?
I am VERY disheartened by the whole thing. I had a 2007 Dodge Ram 1500 CrewCab with 5.7, and recently traded it in for a 2010 2500 CrewCab with the 5.7. I have ALWAYS been a MOPAR MADMAN - LOVE THEM, but this flat out stinks.
In my opinion, the car and engine will never be the same, ever. The factory engine has been opened...
Thoughts, input, encouragement, solutions??? I am ready to let the dealer purchase the car back for a large loss, because I do not trust it will be corrected. They said it is finished, and when I went to pick it up, it was making the same tapping/rattling that originally caught my attention in the first place. How long until it knocks again or blows up, this time not under warranty???

SRT TEAM- IF YOU READ THIS and would like to get in direct contact with me, my personal e-mail is [email protected]

·
Registered
448 Posts
Did they say what went wrong, besides the initial 'bad lifter'?

·
Registered
302 Posts
It happens buddy as long as it is covered its all good. I know it sucks having your engine opened up so early but that is what the warranty is for. I would also have them look closely at the springs.

If it is just the rockers it really is no big deal. I had my Charger SRT8 with stage 3 heads, cam and PAC nitrate treated springs and I broke a PAC racing spring, sh*t happens as they say, just make sure 100% sure that when you pick it up you hear no tappng noise from either head.

Did they remove both heads? Were both sides making noise? A lifter replacement only required the valve cover to be removed not the entire head.

Keep us posted.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The Svce Mgr said they did not have all the paperwork ready, there were "A lot of small parts listed". He did say all rockers and lifters were replaced, and that it will be ok now. Still rattle-tapping, but no knock when I started it. I left it there over the weekend, completely disgusted.

·
Registered
91 Posts
SRT Dead

OK so you are having a problem solved. The engine is being repaired. Many engines have had lifters go bad. You have had enough experience with Dodge, good experiences, that you like the brand. Things go wrong and it is disheartening. But it sounds like you need to put your foot into it and regain some confidence in the car. Mine is under a blanket, can't even drive it due to winter conditions up here. Wish I had your truck.... Things will get better for you once you drive the car again.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It happens buddy as long as it is covered its all good. I know it sucks having your engine opened up so early but that is what the warranty is for. I would also have them look closely at the springs.

If it is just the rockers it really is no big deal. I had my Charger SRT8 with stage 3 heads, cam and PAC nitrate treated springs and I broke a PAC racing spring, sh*t happens as they say, just make sure 100% sure that when you pick it up you hear no tappng noise from either head.

Did they remove both heads? Were both sides making noise? A lifter replacement only required the valve cover to be removed not the entire head.

Keep us posted.
Rockers and lifters is what they said was replaced, as well as "a lot of other small parts". I am sure they were referring to all the gaskets, seals, etc.
Noise was predominantly on the right side of the engine, and was loud enough to echo off the buildings of the small towns during cruises. I live right off Rout 66 here in Missouri. There are a lot of car clubs, car shows, and summer cruise nights. It is really bad when my Tor-Red baby would get a lot of attention, and when we started engines to go ride, all the motorheads would come over and ask what was wrong with the car. Quite embarrassing to be honest.
I know, Sh#$t happens, all that good stuff. I am no spring chicken and have been working on cars since they had no plastic covers and brains of their own. I love the style, fit, finish, looks, comfort, ride, pizzazz and WOW of the Challenger, but the reliability just took a sh#$t in my book.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Rockers and lifters is what they said was replaced, as well as "a lot of other small parts". I am sure they were referring to all the gaskets, seals, etc.
Noise was predominantly on the right side of the engine, and was loud enough to echo off the buildings of the small towns during cruises. I live right off Rout 66 here in Missouri. There are a lot of car clubs, car shows, and summer cruise nights. It is really bad when my Tor-Red baby would get a lot of attention, and when we started engines to go ride, all the motorheads would come over and ask what was wrong with the car. Quite embarrassing to be honest.
I know, Sh#$t happens, all that good stuff. I am no spring chicken and have been working on cars since they had no plastic covers and brains of their own. I love the style, fit, finish, looks, comfort, ride, pizzazz and WOW of the Challenger, but the reliability just took a sh#$t in my book.
Did not mean to offend by the sh*t happens comment and trust me I know exactly how you feel, it just sucks having a new engine opened up.

Just get EVERYTHING documented so if future problems arise you can back track because Chrysler is iffy with warrantys as im sure you know.

Good luck and keep us posted.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK so you are having a problem solved. The engine is being repaired. Many engines have had lifters go bad. You have had enough experience with Dodge, good experiences, that you like the brand. Things go wrong and it is disheartening. But it sounds like you need to put your foot into it and regain some confidence in the car. Mine is under a blanket, can't even drive it due to winter conditions up here. Wish I had your truck.... Things will get better for you once you drive the car again.
OneManOP - understood, mine also lived under a cover in the winter, has had more wax jobs than hard acceleration runs.
Thank God for warranty...What I am looking for here I guess is info in case any other owners have experienced the same symptoms and what has their outcome been.
As for confidence, what is to say that since it is STILL tapping after the repairs, this engine is not going to grenade on me AFTER the warranty?? This is why I am looking for input from others with ame problem, if there are any.
Think about if it was your baby that just had open heart surgery...

"On the seventh day, God created a Hemi...then he went for a drive."

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
NYCSRTATE - NO OFFENSE!!!! Documentation is a must, for sure. I still have EVERY little sticker and tab the car came with when it was brand new. Maybe it is because I got to finally pick up my '09 on Halloween...31 Oct 2008. Is it haunted?

Thanks for the input, your '10 list sounds MEAN AS HELL :~)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Forgot to add in last reply...

Yes, BOTH heads were off. When I went to see her, the only thing left in the engine bay was a short block with the pistons looking up at me.
UGH....

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Anyone with similar experiences, if you want to e-mail me direct at [email protected], I would love to hear what was done to repair the problem, hoew long ago was it, has there been any repeat tapping or knocking, etc.
Your input will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I'm with you hippeefreak, I just wouldn't trust it the same after they had to go into it this soon especially with how easily you've driven it and the fact that you're still have rattles. I would get another SRT off the lot (new or used) and if it didn't have the same rattling sounds in that engine then I would tell them I don't think they really found the underlying problem. Get on your Service Advisor and Manager's good side if you can and get them fighting for you or look to arbitration. You deserve to get what you paid for and this type of problem is not something you should have to expect to deal with this early in this car's life and hopefully we will never have to experience.

·
Registered
302 Posts
NYCSRTATE - NO OFFENSE!!!! Documentation is a must, for sure. I still have EVERY little sticker and tab the car came with when it was brand new. Maybe it is because I got to finally pick up my '09 on Halloween...31 Oct 2008. Is it haunted?

Thanks for the input, your '10 list sounds MEAN AS HELL :~)
Haunted I doubt it just a run of bad luck happens to us all when we keep buying cars.

My 2010 list is mild compared to what I did to my 2008 Charger SRT8 it read like this: Stage 3 Mondello wet flow heads, stage 3 custom cam, ported and extruded heat coated intake, Kooks headers to straight pipes to Corsa Xtreme, Bwoody CAI, SP front tower strut bar. USW Forged custom rims.

Here is an idle video, should be available in a few minutes.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the input, NYCSRTATE - sounds like you love horsepower the way I do. Oil in my veins.... Who needs a loud stereo, I would rather listen to the music of a well tuned hot-rod!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If you don't get emails There's others on here that have been posted about their 6.1s blewing up and the saga that was involved in getting it fixed. See if this works.
www.challengertalk.com/forums/f36/my-6-1-blew-saturday-44697/
That link doesn't work but it was on this forum and called my 6.1 blew up saturday. Now it does
itzrick - great input, this is the type of info I am looking for. Sounds like his was a different type of problem though, unless mine was headed towards this route and had not gotten there quite yet.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Thanks for the input, NYCSRTATE - sounds like you love horsepower the way I do. Oil in my veins.... Who needs a loud stereo, I would rather listen to the music of a well tuned hot-rod!

Other then a hot woman the sound of a high lift cam gets me going :)

·
Premium Member
3,553 Posts
Just saying you might be able to do a search and find what your looking for. I don't like telling people to look thru the search instead of helping them but in this case I think it is best. I don't Know if mual has a 6.1 or 5.7 but I know he had alot of problems when he first got his.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The more I look, the more I am finding on this. 300C, Cherokee, Charger Forums all have posts in ref to noisy 6.1's, but none with severity that had the dealer tearing my Hemi down. Sounds like a damn country-western song. Hope it has a happy ending. Thinking of letting the dealer buy it back at the dollars they offered me when I bitched about it, and picking up a used 2006 Corvette Z06 with very low miles and a clean CarFax.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts